Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael h View Post
    Great point Bobby. My biggest issue is their is still a disconnect between my judo game and bjj game. When I start standing I expect my opponent to react like a judo player. When they don't it takes a second for my brain to switch gears. You are a hundred percent right about grappling being grappling but how certain grappling "styles" act in certain situations is due to the rule set they come from. My example being I am used to an opponent not sitting like this because it is illegal in judo competition and none of the bjj guys I usually train with sit to guard automatically so I was taken out of my game a little. Lesson learned though.
    I got that very same dilemma a lot. I realized that Judo and Jiu Jitsu are really two sides to the same coin. A great deal of Jiu Jitsu techniques have Japanese names and are a part of the original 40 techniques Jigaro Kano had created. I understand wanting to go where is comfortable and that is using Nage-Waza to make openings into your Katame-Waza and finishing there, but when you encounter those that take you out of that comfort zone, it's time to evaluate your weak areas and more them strong points like Bobby was saying. Fly over passes and pressure passing should come pretty natural to you since Judo constraints on the ground tend to be limited so you have to work quickly. Since your a black belt I am sure your top game and pressure is pretty solid, so passing I agree would be a great area to work on.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Are you competeing in the blue belt division?
    I know that if I was a blue belt fighting in a tournament, I would not want to try a throwing game with another Jiu Jitsu blue belt who also just so happened to be a black belt in judo.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    The best style is no style and all styles.
    ....and the rubber guard.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    More importanly Judo has become obsolete in Judo. It completely disgusts me to read what has happen to the rules and where the sport is moving to. The art and science of Judo is beautiful and amazing, the sport of Judo has become pathetic.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    GB Freestyle Judo Club, Holly BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    More importanly Judo has become obsolete in Judo. It completely disgusts me to read what has happen to the rules and where the sport is moving to. The art and science of Judo is beautiful and amazing, the sport of Judo has become pathetic.
    That is why I stick with freestyle judo competition coach herzog. Much closer to original judo, plus I am going to try the judo division at grapplers quest Ontario and see what it's like. The NGBs won't be happy until they have strangled judo to death. Bloody disgusting.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    The only freestyle judo I can find is in texas? Grapplers quest has a judo division?! Too bad they dont seem to have much going on this year.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox
    NO GI JUDO RENAISSiANCE!! I'd love to see more tourneys like this

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts - 10th Planet Peterborough/Troop BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Are you competeing in the blue belt division?
    I know that if I was a blue belt fighting in a tournament, I would not want to try a throwing game with another Jiu Jitsu blue belt who also just so happened to be a black belt in judo.
    Fully agree with Kurzy. I wasn't able to come down to Brampton to compete or catch the action because it was Mother's Day weekend, but a tonne of the blue belts and up who are regulars on the scene in Ontario know each others game really well, so it might have been something you were warming up with, the fact that guys didn't recognize you, or just your style in general that had everyone immidiately buttscooting. In fact what division were you in? With some people, theyre just so high level, they were probably working their most successful paths (ie. pull guard and berimbolos or nothing) at that tournament trying to get the most efficient path to the absolute to win the trip to the worlds that was on the line. I'll be honest with you I've seen guys warming up and recognized theyre judo guys by how they stand or warm up and immidiately buttscoot just to take them out of their game or bridge the gap so their superior throws don't play a factor in our match.

Array

School
    GB Freestyle Judo Club, Holly BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bodmon View Post
    Fully agree with Kurzy. I wasn't able to come down to Brampton to compete or catch the action because it was Mother's Day weekend, but a tonne of the blue belts and up who are regulars on the scene in Ontario know each others game really well, so it might have been something you were warming up with, the fact that guys didn't recognize you, or just your style in general that had everyone immidiately buttscooting. In fact what division were you in? With some people, theyre just so high level, they were probably working their most successful paths (ie. pull guard and berimbolos or nothing) at that tournament trying to get the most efficient path to the absolute to win the trip to the worlds that was on the line. I'll be honest with you I've seen guys warming up and recognized theyre judo guys by how they stand or warm up and immidiately buttscoot just to take them out of their game or bridge the gap so their superior throws don't play a factor in our match.
    You are right. Competed in blue belt division and while warming up I went through my grip fighting drills and foot sweep drills without even thinking about who was watching.lol damn, guess I k ow what I will be avoiding in future.
    http://www.freestylejudo.org/ here is the main freestyle judo page with state reps and clubs.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    IJF pissed all over Judo as a sport. They are trying to take out grabbing the legs now. Da fuck?! Kata Guruma is gone. They are eliminating throws because they are worried about wrestlers crossing over and tainting the "purity" of the sport. It's crap.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast