Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Mouthguards

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I swear on both my testicles that I have carried a mouth piece with me in public for years. Just like how you are with your wallet or some with sidearms. Huge advantage over someone not wearing one.

I also found that when things escalate past verbal confrontation, the sheer act of casually taking a mouthpiece from your pocket, inserting it, dropping your chin, raising your hands and dropping to a balanced stance, while staring at there collar bones, makes them wanna reestablish verbal negotiations. They now start to cauli, scars, broken noses and lose their bravado. Meanwhile I'm gettin my back to a wall for the Heineken bottle comin at my dome. Regardless, I still love this psychological tactic. Scotty can back up my history of this.

Chris, it appears the Russians had the same plan huh? The effect of a single dude calmly preparing is pretty dramatic, but six plus dudes?? That would be profoundly intimidating to anyone who doesn't live to train. These are all advantages aside from the physical and structural protection it gives a very vulnerable part of your body. Fact, your neck is stronger when jaw is engaged. Stronger neck=less whip=less brain slamming skull. This really isn't about preference.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Preference reference not directed to you John. I never wear a cup either and only a mouthpiece going live.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Preference reference not directed to you John. I never wear a cup either and only a mouthpiece going live.
    I can't stand the way the feel. I've never actually liked wearing them. I never wore one when I played hockey and I've taken my fair share of punches and pucks to the face. But come to think of it maybe if I wore one I'd still have a couple of my original chompers. Now I'm gonna start carrying one around with me and turn my Bobby Rivers Swag on.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post

I can't stand the way the feel. I've never actually liked wearing them. I never wore one when I played hockey and I've taken my fair share of punches and pucks to the face. But come to think of it maybe if I wore one I'd still have a couple of my original chompers. Now I'm gonna start carrying one around with me and turn my Bobby Rivers Swag on.
    I bet if you had to fight John Mejia every night you'd wear one!
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post

I bet if you had to fight John Mejia every night you'd wear one!
    That guys a chump. I heard he sleeps with a teddy bear still at night. I'm not scared of him.

really? You never wore a mouthpiece in hockey? Full face mask? I played a pickup game once without a helmet, I have a permanent dent in my skull from that slapshot. I never play even pond hockey without a helmet and mouth guard anymore. I am getting old, the younger me would probably have beat me up and made fun of my helmet.

the rest of this is not geared towards you, just a general FYI for this discussion
    I live in central PA, a huge place for wrestling (like age 3 and up). Mandatory mouthpieces and headgear everywhere I have been.

I wear a cup and a mouth guard every time I roll. The one gym doesn't roll without punching too (MMA not BJJ), so to each his own. Sometimes I forget that the one gym is ground and pound and not just bjj. I start rolling looking for resistance or an angle to take a path on, then about the first punch in the face and I am clinching up like a mother.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by ern View Post
    really? You never wore a mouthpiece in hockey? Full face mask? I played a pickup game once without a helmet, I have a permanent dent in my skull from that slapshot. I never play even pond hockey without a helmet and mouth guard anymore. I am getting old, the younger me would probably have beat me up and made fun of my helmet.

the rest of this is not geared towards you, just a general FYI for this discussion
    I live in central PA, a huge place for wrestling (like age 3 and up). Mandatory mouthpieces and headgear everywhere I have been.

I wear a cup and a mouth guard every time I roll. The one gym doesn't roll without punching too (MMA not BJJ), so to each his own. Sometimes I forget that the one gym is ground and pound and not just bjj. I start rolling looking for resistance or an angle to take a path on, then about the first punch in the face and I am clinching up like a mother.
    John Mejia comes from the days when Hockey player didn't have to wear helmets, let alone mouth guards.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    the lightest weakest person in the gym is often myself at 154-156. I dont get any mercy. When I roll with new guys I use the opportunity to play bottom game and focus on technique.

It takes more than one guy deciding to roll light, so no, thats not at all what i am saying.
    You haven't grappled until you have had your bell rang and your nads squished. Like Andre the Giant said to the Ultimate Warrior: He will learn.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I can't stand the way the feel. I've never actually liked wearing them. I never wore one when I played hockey and I've taken my fair share of punches and pucks to the face.
    I love it when my points are validated
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona/ Academy of Kings Top Team
    Question? What do u do when you put your mouth piece in and then roll for a round and then take it out get a drink? So that same hand that has been touching the mat and your sweaty opponent u put on your mouth piece, to take out and put back in your mouth?? Or what about if your rolling and it pops out of your mouth and lands on the mat. Do u grab it and just put it back in your mouth?? How do u guys keep em clean that has been my only issue with them.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast