Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouthguards

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sales View Post
    yes I always roll without any mouthguard, cup or ear protection. Might actually start wearing a mouthguard though.
    Yeah same here but after clanking my teeth together I think its time to start wearing a mouth guard.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

My cup is like green lanterns ring, the source of my power. I have custom made mouth guards from the dentist and I try not to roll without it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I have no idea how you guys could get away with not wearing mouthguards. Are we doing the same sport here? You dont catch accidental blows to the face? You dont get cross faced? You never eat mat in a scramble? You dont grind your lips on your teeth attempting to pop out of chokes? I accidentally kneed my coach in the jaw, hard, a few months ago. I have a bruise on my cheek from last night.

I know brent, hell probably all of you are better than me and win at tourneys. Why the hell am i training like this? if i can win without a thousand little injuries along the way I guess i'd prefer it. Now that im thinking about it, I only see guys really bring it hard like wrestlers in not even 1/4 videos i've seen. Normally its all slow and technical.

suppose i'll just be doing whatever my coach wants but im really curious about this.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    I have no idea how you guys could get away with not wearing mouthguards. Are we doing the same sport here? You dont catch accidental blows to the face? You dont get cross faced? You never eat mat in a scramble? You dont grind your lips on your teeth attempting to pop out of chokes? I accidentally kneed my coach in the jaw, hard, a few months ago. I have a bruise on my cheek from last night.

I know brent, hell probably all of you are better than me and win at tourneys. Why the hell am i training like this? if i can win without a thousand little injuries along the way I guess i'd prefer it. Now that im thinking about it, I only see guys really bring it hard like wrestlers in not even 1/4 videos i've seen. Normally its all slow and technical.

suppose i'll just be doing whatever my coach wants but im really curious about this.
    I don't let people touch my head. It's how I avoid cauliflower ear too. That said i do still wear a mouth guard to avoid those random elbows.
    Last edited by Cody Kietzman; 05-21-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kietzman View Post
    I don't let people touch my head. It's how I avoid cauliflower ear too. That said i do still wear a mouth guard to avoid those random elbows.
    are you fucking with me?
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

We only roll for an hour. Most of it is spent standing around while they show us the moves. Worse thing that has happened to me so far: Open hand slap to the top of the head. It was a headlock defense and my partner had much longer arms. Even blocking it, I still took the shot.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont

Actually, past white belt: your cross faces control well but don't "grind", accidental elbow extremely rare, most chokes are clean or pressure won't get applied, your rolls will be more fluid and smooth, your training partners will be smoother and more advanced.

"Roll harder Peterborough."

Roll softer bro, you will advance faster, trust me.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    ....and wear a mouthpiece and cup! Good ones too, Dentist made mouthpiece and a diamond MMA cup..

are you fucking with me?
    I can name a handful of people at the school that can effectively control my head long enough to be uncomfortable, for the most part I avoid having my head controlled at all costs, its bad for you...

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRay View Post
    Actually, past white belt: your cross faces control well but don't "grind", accidental elbow extremely rare, most chokes are clean or pressure won't get applied, your rolls will be more fluid and smooth, your training partners will be smoother and more advanced.

"Roll harder Peterborough."

Roll softer bro, you will advance faster, trust me.
    i guess i believe you as far as your technique will improve but ill get taped every single time unless other people roll softer? When someone is aggressively pursuing dominate positions and going as hard and fast as they can in scrambles I cant really handle it without picking it up myself, unless they are new or a lot lighter than me.

guess i shouldn't be telling anyone how to roll.
    Last edited by Aaron Gustaveson; 05-21-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    GO SHARKS!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast