Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville

good tournament strategy?

First tournament is comming up, looking for some advice about the best strategy when it come to competing.

Im not a very stocky guy. currently, Im the smallest guy in the adult class at gracie. im around 140-45 while everyone else is about 170 and above.

Its a little harder for me to train since everyone is larger than myself, but I think rolling with bigger guys makes me gain alot more experience and use more technique than I would rolling with a guy my size.

Due to my size when rolling with larger guys, a majority of my game is played form my back. so rubber guard is definately a saving grace.

but since i'll be going against people more my weight, would it be wise to try and go straight for mount and obtain some points, or just pull guard and go with my usual game?

thanks guys

good strategy---> don't suck :P

Have a game plan.. this is the series I'm hoping for.. if not i'll push for this.. etc.. That has at least been my killer.. when I've done poorly in comps I've just winged it and did stuff i'm not necessarily comfortable with. So you're usual game will probably be what you should stick too.

I'm sure someone more experienced will have more advice.

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox
    It depends on your game. Do you have good takedowns? If not pulling guard is a better option than getting taken down, you don't get behind in points and you get one of the best bottom positions in the game rather than potentially having your guard passed during the takedown. When you pull guard try to secure an overhook so you have the free new york right away.

You have to believe in every movement you do no matter the percentage. Believe in the system and yourself and no one can beat you! 10th Planet!

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox
    If you have any confidence in your half guard or x guard you can always do the butt scoot

Array

School
    RONIN
    My first pointed tournamanet came at Grapplers Quest in Vegas this last september. I found myself playing really conservative and timid due to not wanting plp scoring points on me. What i learned was to just go out and grapple! Due the things you do best in the gym and you will do much better than trying to play for points. Good luck and have enjoy the experience

Array

School
    Mario Roberto Jiu-Jitsu Academy
    Stand-up is the most important thing to plan for in a pointed tournament, so in that, Griffin is correct. If you have good takedowns and takedown defense, stand up with him and try to get on top first, but if you don't have good stand-up or feel in danger of getting taken down after a minute or so then try to pull guard. After that, Brent is correct in that you want to try to push for the things you do best. Just focus as hard as you can, keep your head in the match. If your opponent makes a mistake then capitalize, and always work for a submission or sweep. If you do those things, either points or a submission will come. Confidence and focus!!!

Array

School
    Mario Roberto Jiu-Jitsu Academy
    Oh, and don't worry about the score until there's maybe 30 seconds left, just play your game.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville
    thanks for the advice so far guys. hard to say honestly if my stand up is entirely good, because everyone i roll with is bigger than me so its a little harder to work for take downs. but if im feelin a little ballsy i've tried to attempt flying triangles.

this will be one of the very few, first official matches where my opponent is my size and may have only 5-8 lbs on me vs the usual 30+lbs i usualy go against.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    140 pounders will most likely be way faster than what you used to. You may be stronger due to rolling with bigger guys but be aware of that. Just try to shake of the nerves and work your shit. If you dont feel comfortable worst case pull guard. You might find rubber guard a lot easier with a smaller opponent so just do what you do best.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal
    My personal gameplan is pull guard and sweep. Then work for subs from top position. I have a strong butterfly, X, and Halfguard. This combination does wonders for sweeping.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast