Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bro, get out of that gym now. Cross training will always make you better and your instructor is too douchey to let you progress because he's too insecure about his own school. I've been in your situation twice before. If you're not coming home from the gym stoked and high on life most of the time, it's not the right gym. For years I would come home every day from the gym and just be bummed out. You're only wasting your time sticking around. Especially if you're the only guy really wanting to push to compete.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    If its possible to train at another school I would leave. Your instructor should encourage you to seek out and learn as much as possible. He isn't in it for the art, he is in it for the business and is afraid of losing students to other schools if they cross train. IMO

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    If you wanna compete and be successful you need as many high level training partners as possible.

Be open and communicate your goals as well as your concerns with your instructor. He can either get on board and help or...
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    If you wanna compete and be successful you need as many high level training partners as possible.

Be open and communicate your goals as well as your concerns with your instructor. He can either get on board and help or...
    +1

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post

Agreed.
    Also, we have many white belts in our school, but we have only been open since January. Still, a good majority of our white belts are very driven and want to compete and do. We do it as a team and push each other to work hard even if maybe someone is having a bad night. We cheer each other on at competitions. Steel sharpens steel brother, and if the rest of the people in your school, or at least a majority of them, aren't pushing forward trying to progress and advance...how can you do it by yourself? That's very hard. You need at least a few great training partners to help you advance and to discuss and exchange technique with. Almost sounds like you're a ronin in your own school. :-/
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    I would be interested to hear your instructors side of this.

Array

School
    Nova Uniao BJ Penns MMAA
    thanx for all the input guys. It's good to hear outside perspectives on this. I've been talking with my instructor about this for quite sometime. He knows I'm trying to make a big push, he's offered to sponsor me some cross fit and yoga classes to help me get in shape, and is trying to figure out some monetary compensation for my time on the mat with the kids and the fundamentals class, but there are times where I feel he uses my loyalty, and my desire to become a teacher against me. We once yelled at eachother back and forth until 230am arguing the condition and direction of the dojo.

He feels that Im being a little selfish in wanting to cross train and not having enough faith that at some point my team mates will come around. He says theyre hot bodies to train with regardless, and that I should be the change that I wanna see. I really feel though that sometimes he uses my desire to wanna learn and teach against me, sighting that it's a privilege to instruct.

I feel that you can't force a horse to drink water. I've been training two a days M-F for 8 months. I've only missed one class in 8 months prior to our black belt professor from California fracturing my hand with an accidental small joint manipulation. I've said openly that for him to question my commitment is ridiculous and that I feel like sometimes the lack of common goals with the team are holding me back.

that's a lot of I's in that last paragraph.

After a two week hiatus I'm returning on Monday and I'm gonna see how things pan out in september when I'm up for renewal. If he doesn't follow through on the cross fit, yoga, doesn't engage the conversation that he started about compensating me for kids class, and then asks me to pay my dues again, the writing might be on the wall. I paid my 6 months in advance in one payment so I might as well give this decision more time to breathe.

but I appreciate the support and point of view.

Totally agree with the if you're not going home stoked... no bueno.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Leave when your 6 months is up dude.

Quote Originally Posted by La'akea Sanborn View Post
    thanx for all the input guys. It's good to hear outside perspectives on this. I've been talking with my instructor about this for quite sometime. He knows I'm trying to make a big push, he's offered to sponsor me some cross fit and yoga classes to help me get in shape, and is trying to figure out some monetary compensation for my time on the mat with the kids and the fundamentals class, but there are times where I feel he uses my loyalty, and my desire to become a teacher against me. We once yelled at eachother back and forth until 230am arguing the condition and direction of the dojo.

He feels that Im being a little selfish in wanting to cross train and not having enough faith that at some point my team mates will come around. He says theyre hot bodies to train with regardless, and that I should be the change that I wanna see. I really feel though that sometimes he uses my desire to wanna learn and teach against me, sighting that it's a privilege to instruct.

I feel that you can't force a horse to drink water. I've been training two a days M-F for 8 months. I've only missed one class in 8 months prior to our black belt professor from California fracturing my hand with an accidental small joint manipulation. I've said openly that for him to question my commitment is ridiculous and that I feel like sometimes the lack of common goals with the team are holding me back.

that's a lot of I's in that last paragraph.

After a two week hiatus I'm returning on Monday and I'm gonna see how things pan out in september when I'm up for renewal. If he doesn't follow through on the cross fit, yoga, doesn't engage the conversation that he started about compensating me for kids class, and then asks me to pay my dues again, the writing might be on the wall. I paid my 6 months in advance in one payment so I might as well give this decision more time to breathe.

but I appreciate the support and point of view.

Totally agree with the if you're not going home stoked... no bueno.
    It's all a trap. He's trying to bait you with paying you for the kids class, giving you free crossfit training etc... which has nothing to do with the issues you're having. You will still not have anyone pushing to compete with you and you will still not be allowed to train at other gyms. It's so pathetic that he's trying to guilt trip you. My last 2 gyms did this exact same thing and I wasted years there hoping things would change and people would come around. It doesn't happen. Even if he lets you train at other places, I would still leave because just the fact that he had a problem with it in the first place, really shows where his heart is at. He cares more about business than you. He just wants to use you. I know I'm pretty opinionated about this and it's just because it reminds me of the situation I was in and it makes me sick.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    I say always cross train if possible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast