View Poll Results: Who is the 2013 NWOTY?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tony "El Cucuy" Ferguson

29 12.66%
  • Nathan Orchard

37 16.16%
  • Kelvin Gastelum

18 7.86%
  • John "Yoda" Botello

10 4.37%
  • Jessamyn Duke

8 3.49%
  • Brian "Barncat" Debes

60 26.20%
  • Geo "Freakazoid" Martinez

5 2.18%
  • Louis "Street" Ho

24 10.48%
  • Kyra Batara

13 5.68%
  • Richie "Boogeyman" Martinez

25 10.92%
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan orchard View Post
    that's kinda my point. Its all about what you "know of." So let those who want to be voted on submit their HL reels to show results of the year that way there is a means of comparison instead of just who you actually "know of". its an educated vote instead of what seems to be a popularity contest. But if the NWOTY is about "promoting" 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu then Joe Rogan should probably win it.
    I got that but its like brent said about presidential candidates. Joe Rogan doesnt compete in anything anymore.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Maybe I am just thinking to deep about this and I don't want to come off as disrespectful but I think the criteria of this pole is too vague. There is no possible way that me or Barn Cat made as big of an impact as Kelvin or Jessamyn or Tony. They have a way bigger stage to promote the system. They have exposure from the main stream media. So in that way I think the pole is flawed otherwise they would be winning. What people actually seem to voting on is who puts together the sickest highlight reel. Or who is the most known on the forum. Just look at the results. To me they seem way off of what they should be. How does Geo only have six votes? He is a complete monster. He is training with some of the best people in Southern California. He should be up there with me and Brian. What is really crazy to me is in all of the nominations Slick Rick never got mentioned once. How is that? He is one of the most consistent people out there. He always drops insane knowledge on the forum. He trains his ass off and is the model for a 10th Planet warrior. Its because he doesn't post highlight reels. I know he competes all the time and I have watched some of his matches on youtube but I can't think of ever seeing them on the forum. (Maybe I just missed them) Then there is me. Almost annoying with how many highlight reels I post. Or Brian winning NAGA left and right with sick sick leg attacks and rubber guard. You just can't ignore that. That is why I believe him and I are so close for first.

So my point is( and I may be very wrong) that once you boil it down, this pole is either based on plain and simple popularity or it is based on the sickest highlight reel of the year and not based on "who made the biggest impact". If it is based on the sickest highlight reel then we should start a new thread with both of our 2013 HL, then a vote. If it is based on popularity or something else I don't seem to understand then we should just let this vote play out and see what happens. I'm sure yall will let me know what you think

Hopefully all of that makes sense.
    Hi Nathan, it was hard choosing a NWOTY. Everyone mentioned in the poll is deserving of the award. Not everyone is UFC or an MMA fighter though, so how can that be that you and Brian are leading in the polls?

I break it down sort of like a pound for pound mma fight. In mma, I define the pound for pound best fighter as the fighter that not only does well in his weight class but, if moved to all other weight classes and magically added or dropped weight to reflect those classes, and would conceivably still be the best fighter for that class, that person is the pound for pound best.

How does this relate to the poll? Well, I try to imagine who is doing really well for the system, regardless of the stage. Then I put that person in different gyms[hypothetically], and try to predict how they would fair. Through all this, you and Brian are top top.

I've had my share of competition this year, but nowhere near what you guys have been doing. My highlight reels unfortunately aren't as lengthy either. But what you, Brian, and all the warriors mentioned in the polls are doing to rep the system is nothing short of inspiring. In the end we can only choose just one, so I went with my gut... The person that is participating on the board, is competing and dominating in tournament, reps the system with all the tools given him/her, comes down to only 2 people this year.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa, CA
    Nathan, Its too bad people on here only see your highlight reels and don't get to actually see your demeanor at your competitions like I do. You are an extremely modest and respectful competitor and an all-around great guy... all while being a complete bad ass! You, and the rest of the Northwest crew, have always been there for me when I roll to a tournament without a coach. You rep the system hard, you share your knowledge, and you are always looking for ways to enhance the system.

Is it a popularity contest? I don't know. Everyone is going to vote based on their own reasoning. But, either way, there is no doubt that you belong in the running.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Eddie has said many time to be involved in this forum to be part of the 10th planet community!! So if sharing and helping others isn't
    a big factor in NWOTYm then yes it is flawed. But if it is, I don't recall seeing some of those names on this forum, ever. Every video you post Nathan, I study and it helps me tremendously!! Some of those others you mentioned are almost non existant to me, so why would I vote for them!! Things you and Brian have done have trickled down thru me to others at my gym, in turn they take bits out into others games, etc. I can honestly say Nothing that Kelvin has done has had that effect on me.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    You know, the Heisman has this same debate every year and it's one of the most prestigious awards in athletics. Every voter brings their own bias, experience, and agenda to the table when they vote. Just the way it is.

Also, I'd like to point out that Orchard kept saying "pole" and it made me giggle every single time I read it.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post

Also, I'd like to point out that Orchard kept saying "pole" and it made me giggle every single time I read it.
    tripple face palm.jpg
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Portland Moon Head/Instructor
    My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/monzon421
    Use the discount code DEADORCHARD at Phalanxfc.com to get %15 off any purchase.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    The biggest stage for BJJ these days is not the UFC anymore in my opinion. While cucuy, boogeyman, gastelum, and jessamyn are repping crazy on big stages, from what I gather, people don't really care much about BJJ when watching MMA. Even if you hit a great sub. Even if that sub is textbook 10th planet.

The biggest stage for BJJ right now is the competition circuit. The freakshow bros are some of my favorite grapplers to watch. But there isn't a ton of video for me to reference. Barncat and orchard on the other hand are both active forum members, and very very active competitors. So to me it's about who's making people in the BJJ community respect 10th the most. Who's shutting up doubters. To me, that's orchard and barncat. I understand where orchard is coming from. Literally every member in the poll deserves it for how hard they repped this year. But to me, it really does come down to orchard and barncat. They're showing up hard and representing hard in the BJJ community.

that's kinda my point. Its all about what you "know of." So let those who want to be voted on submit their HL reels to show results of the year that way there is a means of comparison instead of just who you actually "know of". its an educated vote instead of what seems to be a popularity contest. But if the NWOTY is about "promoting" 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu then Joe Rogan should probably win it.
    When people (at the gym, tournaments, while watching MMA) ask me about the effectiveness of Rubber Guard because they heard it doesn't work at high levels, etc. I tell them they probably haven't seen it done right or haven't been in the guard of a 10th Planet Bad Ass. I show people your highlight reels and it generates excitement for the system, it makes people want to try and it and experiment with it, regardless of what their instructors and friends may have told them about 10th Planet not working.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    The biggest stage for BJJ these days is not the UFC anymore in my opinion...
    A huge part of the 10th Planet mission is to prove the effectiveness of Jiu Jitsu in MMA especially the Rubber Guard. People don't care as much about jiu jitsu in MMA right now because no one is killing with it.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Man, we got 6 days left and it's all Orchard and Barncat. Can Orchard hold off a late surge by Barncat? We'll see
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Earth
    Boogie

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast