Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Sounds similar to the minute drills that Coach Herzog teaches.

I disagree. That's not an alternative on drilling, that's live sparring from a certain position. He says the problem with drilling one move over and over again is that you become predictable but who only drills one pass? I drill multiple passes and variations/combos of those passes over time and I use them as needed when rolling. He's taking a step backwards with this kind of "drilling" IMO. That's an old school approach to "drilling" and IMO does more bad than good. When you're doing "sweep drills" for example and you aren't allowed to submit, all you're doing is giving your partner a false sense on security because he's passing and not worrying that he's giving up subs and conditioning the guy going for sweeps to pass up subs. This is just one example but my point is, you develop an unrealistic style of grappling by "drilling" like that and all it does is confuse everyone.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Woolsey View Post
    Sounds similar to the minute drills that Coach Herzog teaches.
    Its only one component to many steps in the learning process. Drilling alone with out technique practice with no resistance leads to poor technique. I don't disagree with one he is saying, just that its only 1 piece to the puzzle.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin W. View Post
    I disagree. That's not an alternative on drilling, that's live sparring from a certain position. He says the problem with drilling one move over and over again is that you become predictable but who only drills one pass? I drill multiple passes and variations/combos of those passes over time and I use them as needed when rolling. He's taking a step backwards with this kind of "drilling" IMO. That's an old school approach to "drilling" and IMO does more bad than good. When you're doing "sweep drills" for example and you aren't allowed to submit, all you're doing is giving your partner a false sense on security because he's passing and not worrying that he's giving up subs and conditioning the guy going for sweeps to pass up subs. This is just one example but my point is, you develop an unrealistic style of grappling by "drilling" like that and all it does is confuse everyone.
    That is not a old school approach, that is a modern sporting method of training used in many modern sports, that did not exist in traditional martial arts.

The following is my verbiage of countless hours of coaching and phys Ed courses:

The learning process of the function of physical tools:

1)Practice a new (or previously learned) technique or skill set, against a compliant partner
    2)Drill(Situational Sparring) same technique vs. a moderately resistant partner (50-70%). I call this being competitively cooperative
    3)Live Roll/Sparring with the intent of using the same technique vs. a fully resistant partner
    4)Competition with the intent of using the same technique against a fully resistant opponent, with the added stress of something on the line

That IS modern philosophy on sporting concepts. Its nearly the same path that football uses to implement new plays into a team’s offense or defense.

Traditional training methods teach techniques in isolation then spar, leaving huge holes in the development process.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com