Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    Jake Shields is only No-Gi and is a BB, and much of the BJJ "traditionalists" are recognizing the need to note skill whether in the gi or not. If you are good, you are good. To me, the argument that gi makes no gi better is nonsense and moot. I've seen some other forum/facebook quotes about it and it's just brainwashing. I trained in gi for about a year or so, not including my formative years, and it's all the same. I just think my techniques will work better with more friction and if I have more to grab. I guarantee you won't break this former mason's grip

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    EXTREMELY WELL STATED KEVIN!! Excellent point of view, and 100% spot on.

Array

School
    Triple Threat Combat Sports / Yamasaki Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by John Roderick View Post
    EXTREMELY WELL STATED KEVIN!! Excellent point of view, and 100% spot on.
    Thanks John....you trained with me...you know what I am saying

Array

School
    10TH Planet Morgantown
    Amen Kevin...

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    So I guess the real point of all this is just to say-the rank doesn't mean anything. Let's just go out and choke some fuckers! (Paraphrased from Kevin).

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    In one sentence: John Roderick is right.

Rank means a lot to some people, and being a blue belt going over to LA to get my purple, it meant a lot to me to. Not getting it killed me at first, but I am now feeling better than ever, really enjoying my Jiu Jitsu, and not having any stress or expectations when I roll. I am a blue belt, and I'm damn proud to be a blue belt. It doesn't matter who I tap, what rank I tap, or how many I tap; all that matters to me now is doing well in competitions and beating guys.

Yes, a purple belt is more "respected" than a white or a blue belt, but my new goal is becoming a better, wiser grappler than I ever thought imagineable, and that means more to me now than changing the color of my belt.

Not getting my purple was the best thing possible for me to become a better grappler.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale Hoerle View Post
    Personal growth is the most important aspect overall. While I can agree that grading or ranking is essential for reasons of heirarchy and Teaching I believe it is equally important to grow day by day. Eddie recognizes this and it is apparent in all of the coaches he chooses for his system. See yourself as a student of the system, not a belt. I see personal growth in myself, my 10TH Planet Family, and my students every day. As for our Purple being equalivalent to a blue anywhere else... I'd say thats a bit skewed... We have the best system bar-none guys.

Believe

Believe is RIGHT...
    "If you believe, then you have already taken the first step towards your achievement."

Rickson Gracie

www.Primate-Fitness.com

Array

School
    Triple Threat Combat Sports / Yamasaki Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by John Roderick View Post
    So I guess the real point of all this is just to say-the rank doesn't mean anything. Let's just go out and choke some fuckers! (Paraphrased from Kevin).
    Rank represents the time you've put in and time in is VERY inportant. But others have just as much time (if not more) despite what they wear. Im just saying dont judge a book by its cover because not everyone chooses the same path..but yes, lets choke some fuckers AGREE

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin green
    rank represents the time you've put in and time in is very inportant.
    qft^

old school belief, a belt holds up your pants... Belt grades matter within a school to help students within that school know where eachother is at in training. More or less. Americans like to think belts matter, just like trophies. Really, the martial arts is a personal mission that apply to the student alone. Competition is based on belt color, as an American and somewhat modern method of creating an even playing field. The Martial Arts is a combative system, the best should win without regards to rank. Reputation should and often does matter significantly more than a belt color.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast