Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Ash View Post
    Calling HQ a mcdojo? Hm
    I was talking about Tapout, not HQ I have heard nothing but praise about 10P

Quote Originally Posted by VIVIANO View Post
    I'm inclined to chalk this up as trolling. If it is genuine, then it's just from inexperience so I ain't mad at you.

In general bjj schools don't put prices online. Jiu Jitsu training can be somewhat expensive if your not used to paying mat fees (once you know what bjj costs, then you'll be able to determine which academies offer reasonable rates). Personally, I haven't thought about my mat fees in years b/c training jiu jitsu has been the most beneficial thing I have done in my life.

Also, as far as reviews for any academy, you can look at them, but I would recommend visiting an academy in person. You wouldn't want to let your judgment get swayed by some jaded/insecure former student. Once you are a part of the community you'll have a more reliable sense of which schools are best. Plus, different schools are right for different people. Also, HQ and Tapout can be entirely separate entities (and you might be reading a review about Tapout that was pre 10th Planet?). As far as HQ goes, it is not uncommon for guys from very far away to plan their vacations around visiting HQ (and many people in the LA area travel from very far for the opportunity to train at HQ).

If you have any other questions, feel free to private message me. Jiu Jitsu is an amazing journey, good luck!
    Thanks haha I have to say you and Jee Kim's answers were the most helpful/ least to do with shooting on my inexperience I probably will message you thanks a million

Jiu jitsu would be perfect for you, you'll have to learn to tune out all the b.s. + when you can strangle people it's a lot easier to relax in public. Tapout has been giving out free passes and the beginner class is a perfect place to start, it requires zero experience and everyone there will be going thru similar things (I.e. The nerves that come with starting Jiu Jitsu). Idk where you are at in LA but if you can make it to downtown I would reconsider.

Before I started training I would drive by the academy when they were closed to try and get over my fear. Deciding to join was the best decision I ever made

Hmu dude I you have more questions/concerns

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Jj is what id prescribe 100%. If I coulda found it at 16.. lucky bastard.

Do not look at it as a social interaction. Look at it as a skill to be learned. To learn something you need to study, practice, go to class, and listen to your teachers. In jj you have an instructor, but the good ones teach you that everything and everyone is your teacher. I'm confident that you'll find this at both.

This mindset trickles into every aspect of your life giving you confidence in areas in and outside of jj. You learn to recognize, acknowledge, and address conflict on a daily basis. When you fight right up until the edge of death 10-20 times a day you learn not to sweat what some random person's opinion about you(or anything for that matter) affect you.

Array

School
    10th Planet West LA
    I'm not sure where you're located, but if you can visit both gyms to try them out, I would recommend that. I obviously have my biases but I wouldn't dissuade you from one 10th Planet gym to another. It's really a question of personal preference.

As for reviews: Einstein's one of Eddie's right hand men and first black belts. He knows the system better than a lot of people out there. Our classes are smaller so you get more attention, especially if you're a beginner. And for some reason we have a really young crowd, lol. So you'd fit right in with the other 16-18 year olds.

Try both gyms out and see for yourself! But do email Einstein, haha

If some one goes on a forum asking about rates for hq i would never say well come to my wla! But viv you just did some shit like that. Think before you type next time. This is your pass, You get only get one viv. Max inbox me your phone number and i will call you. Or send me your info at 10thplanetwestla@gmail.com
    Last edited by einstein; 03-19-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Sounds like social anxiety. Start training jiu jitsu immediately! I had anxiety problems and jiu jitsu was my fix. You'll learn most of us aren't meat heads, most of us are nerds that found choking people to be the greatest release on the planet. Most everyone that trains are the coolest mf's you'll ever meet

Quote Originally Posted by einstein View Post
    If some one goes on a forum asking about rates for hq i would never say well come to my wla! But viv you just did some shit like that. Think before you type next time. This is your pass, You get only get one viv. Max inbox me your phone number and i will call you. Or send me your info at 10thplanetwestla@gmail.com
    huh....not my intention at all

when someone mentions mcdojo in the same sentence as my academy I think it is a good idea to clear things up. That doesn't mean I'm trying to hawk an HQ membership

Just trying to encourage the kid to start training, it's not like i have a financial stake either way
    Last edited by BIBIANO; 03-20-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian Montenegro View Post
    this is kind of random, but who's Bill?
    Fired

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12