Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: The GI is dead?

damn I was totally wrong about all of this.....this video set me straight

Quote Originally Posted by Angel"EL DIABLO"Diaz View Post
    Actually I have heard quite a bit that grip strength can in fact help punching, but more in the way that it makes the punches sharper by keeping a relaxed fist and just before impact clenching the fist which would make them faster.I remember first hearing it in the countdown for Jens Pulver vs Uriah Faber , jens was doing mad crazy grip training and explained a little bit.

Soooo I wouldn't doubt to much that training Gi would help increase grip strength which in turn makes your punches more "powerful" but I will doubt that a blue belt has trained enough Gi to make a difference, now if marcelo knew how to throw a punch properly I would bet he can sleep people with his grip strength
    People don't like to hear the truth, why do you think Vitor and his crew would chant "Jiu Jit-su! Jiu Jit-su! Jiu Jit-su!" After knocking fools out back in the day?

Its all about dat grip strength!

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Rob, your trolling is out of control. You may need to seek professional help.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Holy shit, this thread is still going on!!! Train whatever da fuck u want. Like Gi? Train Gi. Like No Gi? Train No Gi. Like both? Train both. What's with all that talk about Gi douchbags? There are douchbags in both systems. There are great guys in both systems. I have met a few 10P douchbags and one of my best friends trains Gi mostly. And I also met some dumbass Gi players and awesome No Gi guys. I love Marcelo, took a lot from his techniques and added to my personal game, teach his style to my students, but his opinion on grips and training is only one opinion out of a million. What matters is what works for u, and only u. If u think training Gi will help your MMA grappling, train Gi. Do I think so? No. Does Eddie think so? No. But those are our opinions only. And they matter only to us. U can do whatever da fuck makes u happy in this life. The End.

Array

School
    Drysdale Jiu Jitsu EP
    I gave this some thought last night. 10 years ago when jits really started to become more popular, if you wanted to grapple for no gi, jiu jitsu, or MMA you went to the same place, so you sure as shit were gonna put on a gi! There really wasn't high level guys in just no gi JJ. With that being said any fighter asks me for advice, I tell them not to put a gi on for at least the entire camp prefight. I feel there is a BJJ generation gap because I wouldn't train no gi under someone who never put a gi on, but I think we are really starting to see a separation in BJJ styles where guys are getting better at each specific style. BJJ for MMA coaches, for jits tournaments, and no gi styles.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Briggs View Post
    I feel there is a BJJ generation gap because I wouldn't train no gi under someone who never put a gi on, but I think we are really starting to see a separation in BJJ styles where guys are getting better at each specific style. BJJ for MMA coaches, for jits tournaments, and no gi styles.
    Would you train under an Eddie Bravo black belt who had never put a gi on? For no-gi / mma?

Array

School
    Drysdale Jiu Jitsu EP
    He has actually put a gi on....

Array

School
    Drysdale Jiu Jitsu EP
    Oh I get what you're saying, well in short yes. I am good friends with the 10p affiliate in my city. (shout out to Mario Lopez) we bounce ideas of each other all the time! Other than Eddie's dudes I'm hard pressed to think of many guys who've done enough homework to consider themselves no gi experts who haven't put a gi on.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Briggs View Post
    Oh I get what you're saying, well in short yes. I am good friends with the 10p affiliate in my city. (shout out to Mario Lopez) we bounce ideas of each other all the time! Other than Eddie's dudes I'm hard pressed to think of many guys who've done enough homework to consider themselves no gi experts who haven't put a gi on.
    Perfect, that's what I thought. I was putting your thoughts together and thinking "ok, on one hand he's saying that the styles are diverging to solve different problems but on the other hand he's saying that he wouldn't take lessons straight from the top of one branch that is devoted specifically to solving a specific problem. That doesn't make sense."

But it also doesn't make sense to go train under a self-proclaimed no-gi black belt who has never trained in the gi, has no lineage, no claims to legit BJJ technique....

...not if you want to win tournaments or MMA matches anyway...

Array

School
    Drysdale Jiu Jitsu EP
    Exactly.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast