Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The GI is dead?

My issue is just with twisting or taking pieces out of what someone says to prove a point

Marcelo uses gi grips, collar chokes, the belt, etc...he teaches it and uses it, those are facts, plain and simple, I know I can argue my point because I have factual proof on video, that's all I'm saying

Train whatever makes you happy, no gi only, gi only, 63% gi, whatever, just use facts when you can, ignoring them doesnt help anybody

I will say this, and this is an opinion, not a fact, lol, over the years I believe the vocal "no gi only" guys have become more close minded than the Gi guys when it comes to training which is crazy to me, but its just an observation

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I can't believe you turds dragged me into this debate. Again.
    Boom

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Joseph, what is your goal set regarding grappling?
    I do jiu jitsu for the love of jiu jitsu. I want to be able to train and compete in jiu jitsu as much as possible. If you're closed to training in the gi, you're missing out on an entire aspect of jiu jitsu as well as a lot of training and competition opportunities. I don't know what the competition realm looks like in your region, but up here in Toronto, you would miss out on more than half of the opportunities to compete since our tournaments are either gi and nogi (albeit with smaller brackets) or only gi.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Link?
    Can't link on my phone, just search Marcelo vs Faria, its from like 2 weeks ago, Faria in a blue Gi I believe, Marcelo is white as always

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by VIVIANO View Post
    ok got you

Why is it beneficial to include some gi?
    See below:

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey
    If you're closed to training in the gi, you're missing out on an entire aspect of jiu jitsu as well as a lot of training and competition opportunities. I don't know what the competition realm looks like in your region, but up here in Toronto, you would miss out on more than half of the opportunities to compete since our tournaments are either gi and nogi (albeit with smaller brackets) or only gi.

For me the whole appeal of training BJJ was that the Gracie's made a really good case for BJJ being the most effective way to win a fight in the early UFC days.

to do things that aren't the most effective way to prepare you for a real fight seems counter productive to me. Obviously you have to balance that with not doing techniques that make it impossible to spar everynight....i.e. not slamming, not training on concrete, not grabbing the balls b/c frequent live rolling is one of the most important things in preparing for a fight.

To me, gi bjj relies to heavily on grabbing the sleeve and collar, i think the clinching style is much more effective for avoiding strikes and controlling an opponent without a japanese kimono

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    I will say this, and this is an opinion, not a fact, lol, over the years I believe the vocal "no gi only" guys have become more close minded than the Gi guys when it comes to training which is crazy to me, but its just an observation
    Exactly what I was trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    See below:
    so what your saying is it's a practical issue, you need to train gi to get the best sparring partners/competition?

I feel you, but for me, the solution is for everyone to drop the gi

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Why cant people just do whatever style of bjj suits them without getting shit? In most cases they are paying customers so they have the right to train in whatever style they want. I don't like gi...its too slow for me and i trained gi for 5 years, i choose not to anymore. I like no-gi better so i choose to train no-gi only now. Why do people care how i choose to train, or what i wear to class, or how i position my legs in guard or half guard? Never understood this debate....

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    Exactly what I was trying to say.
    Now, I know Rob did only no gi for quite a while (correct me if I'm wrong, Rob) and is now doing pretty much gi only. So he is qualified to speak on the subject.

I'm curious to hear how much exclusive no-gi you've done that qualifies your opinion on what exclusive no-gi training does to hinder your overall grappling ability.

I'm excited to hear all views on the subject
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast