Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs

arm triangle pressure

so i've been working on arm triangles a bit recently, going over them in class and all. i like eddies set up in mts ep 2 but as for the finish, my instructor showed me a kind of variation that appears to be much higher percentage to me.
    basically, it involves using a basic gable grip, sliding your shoulder to the partners collarbone and then back to his neck to make your your shoulder is through their chin and in their neck and then forcing your shoulder to the ground by leaning all of your weight away from your partner, as if you were trying to get your shoulder in contact with your wrist as in a guillotine. you can probably tell that its more of an air choke then a blood choke.

i played around with it but it seemed that it would be more practical if you could triangle your arms instead of using a gable grip. the problem was that you cant really get that shoulder to wrist motion by arm triangling and grabbing your head or arm triangling and grabbing your elbow, so i came up with the solution of arm triangling and grabbing the end of their elbow, so that your head isnt really in contact with their arm anymore
    its an awesome variation because you can push their elbow into their own neck on one side and force your shoulder through their neck on the other side by pushing against their elbow with your hand.
    what do you reckon? how do you finish the arm triangle with your arms?

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    for me gable grip works awesome(when i get the sub)

i guess everyone is different
    but if it does fail you can take the back

thats what i love about jiu jitsu

arm triangle / take the back / arm bar / triangle / omoplata / twister side etc etc

I use the rear naked choke grip. I make sure there's no space before I squeeze, then I squeeze inward, then try to touch my elbows together as much as I can. Works every time no problem. 100% blood choke.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    From videos it appears that Eddie uses both grips. The shoulder movement you're talking about is just adjusting the choke.

Array

School
    Great White BJJ-Wausau Wi
    When you get the choke slowly move out at a 45 degree angle to them. Works like a charm and you dont have to do all that squeezing. I use the RNC grip too.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    I have small hands... I take the arm triangle grip over the gable grip any time I can find it. It takes different strokes to rule the world...

Personally, I rely on the shoulder shrug for the choke rather than the squeeze. I can do it longer without gassing my arms, saving the squeeze pressure for that last little tightening.

Array

School
    Sjårdalen mma
    Quote Originally Posted by JusLove View Post
    I use the rear naked choke grip. I make sure there's no space before I squeeze, then I squeeze inward, then try to touch my elbows together as much as I can. Works every time no problem. 100% blood choke.
    +1

Array

School
    Pablo Popovitch BJJ center and Armando Basulto Academy of Defense
    I agree with going for the 100% blood choke. I have hit air chokes on some really tough guys and they will just hold their breath and muscle their way out. A good blood choke and he's tapping or asleep in seconds.