Array

School
    10th Planet HQ/ Brentwood BJJ

10th Planet Invade Google (Interview I did with Denny Prokopos)

I recently had the privilege of interviewing Denny for my Tech Blog, I know it has made the rounds on Facebook, but I figured that I would post it on here:

Anybody in the Tech Industry has seen "The Internship" (The Comedy about two Forty-Something Year Olds who INTERN for Google, starring Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn) and even if you're not the biggest Google fan in the world, you couldn't watch that film and not help but (even in the smallest way) find yourself wanting to work at Google. What's not to love? Nap Pods, Free Food, Job Security, and you can take any class under the sun…. EVEN Jiu-Jitsu (The Ground Fighting/Grappling Art that was made popular by the Gracie Family in 1993, with the introduction to the Ultimate Fighting Championship… now commonly referred to as the UFC.)

That's right in Addition to working for the best company in the world, receiving the best work environment that one could ask for, the employees over at Google now get to train in one of the most Effective Martial Arts in the World… Jiu-Jitsu. They're not learning this art from just some random guy either, they are learning from one of the best coaches in the country (maybe even the world)… Denny Prokopos (10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt under the Legendary Eddie Bravo). Denny Prokopos was infact the first member of the 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu System to receive his black belt under Eddie Bravo, keep in mind that some black belts in the 10th Planet System trained for over a decade before receiving this honor… which goes to show just how Legit Denny really is.

In addition to his proven skill as a Jiu-Jitsu Practioner, his school "10th Planet San Francisco" was named top school in the 10th Planet System (the award is called "Moon of the Year), keep in mind that there are nearly 50 10th Planet affiliate schools world-wide, so to be awarded the best one (by your peers no less) once again speaks volumes for your skills/abilities as a coach. Amongst Denny's students are current World Champions, active competitors, and average guys just looking to get in-shape.

A few months back, Eddie Bravo (Denny Prokopos's Master) fought Jiu-Jitsu Legend Royler Gracie in a 20 minute Submission-Only Grappling Match at Metamoris 3, in what has been labeled one of the greatest Jiu-Jitsu matches of all-time. The fight ultimately went to a draw, since there was no submission… but many feel that Professor Eddie Bravo dominated that fight! In Eddie's corner was Jean-Jacques Machado (Jiu-Jitsu Legend and Eddie's Instructor) and Denny Prokopos. Bravo has 20 black belts under him, but due to Denny's coaching capabilities, he earned his way onto Eddie's Corner.

So that being said… Google employees now find themselves learning how to choke people out and break limbs, as Denny now guides a new breed of Warrior. Since most people call Jiu-Jitsu more of a game of intellect, I think that the brightest minds in the world will have no problem learning one of the most dynamic Martial Arts. I got a chance to do a quick interview with Denny Prokopos, here it is:

Google has always been a titan in the Tech Industry, with it's innovative thinking and Elite level talent. What value do you see Jiu-Jitsu bringing to it's employees? Do you think that Jiu-Jitsu will gain some improvements once your Google based students gain some proficiency with the art?

Jiu Jitsu itself has many powerful and transformative powers. One thing that I have observed throughout the years is how powerful Jiu Jitsu is in helping people reduce stress in there lives, I think that's huge for anyone that works in cooperate America. In that sense Jiu Jitsu seems to be very therapeutic. Other benefits are they will lose weight, increase there flexibility, learn how to defeat opponents there weight and bigger using technique and leverage. Mentally they will become tougher and they will become more humble. Also I think Jiu Jitsu will enhance there creativity, that is something that 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu specifically teaches you is to think and create for yourself. I think Google has already contributed to the growth of Jiu Jitsu in just being able to search for information. I can definitely see a situation where a student comes up with the technique or concept and who knows what else maybe something involving technology, anything is possible that's the beauty of living in this time.

For you as an instructor, do you get more excited when someone is more athletically gifted or intellectually?

I think it's awesome when someone is either physically gifted or intellectually gifted, but if I had to choose one I would choose neither I prefer a combination of both. The best fighters of today generally have a good balance of both some in different ways then others that's what makes Jiu Jitsu so unique is because it is so personal.

How did bringing the 10th Planet to Google end up coming into fruition?

It's actually a trip just thinking about this question that you're asking me on how this situation came to be so about three weeks before the idea was proposed to me I remember being at my house and just hanging out and thinking about how cool it would be to teach at Google. Three weeks later a student of mine that works at Google asked me if I was interested in teaching I said yes and the people at Google contacted me and we worked it out.

In addition to instructing at Google, you also teach at 10th Planet SF… How many students do you currently have under your wing? Who is your highest ranked student?

I have about 100 students at my academy. I have four brown belts Adam Sachnoff, Mike Hillebrand, Jp Phanco, and Elia Yuriditsky. I have yet to promote anyone to black belt. I also work with professional fighters.

Many people feel that Eddie Bravo gave the 10th Planet System validation over his dominating performance over Royler Gracie at Metamoris 3… as a guy that was in his corner, how do you feel about Eddie's performance? How do you feel it will affect the 10th Planet? Does it/has it had a positive effect for 10th Planet SF?

I personally think that Eddie's performance at Metamoris Changed the 10th Planet perception to the masses, even the haters were giving Eddie and 10th Planet respect after the rematch. It also prove the first match was not a fluke. As far as how I feel about Eddies performance? I think that it was a beautiful Jiu Jitsu MASTERPIECE! He displayed the 10th Planet style and did it his way, his genius showed. I'm super Happy for him and proud of him.

You're doing amazing things as a coach/instructor and you've had some incredible matches as a competitor. What are your remaining aspirations as a competitor?
    Thank you for the kind words. I would really love to win ADCC and one more world title.

Has instructing helped make you a better coach?
    Without a doubt teaching makes me a better coach. When I teach class I spar with my students and I observe and coach from the outside so not only do I know there games and go to moves, but I also know what they feel like under pressure and how they react and I personally deal with them so I know what to say.

Since the technical minds over at Google are gaining valuable "Assassin Skills" from yourself, have you been picking your new student's brains to see how you can add technology to your program?
    I have definitely been learning more about what's out there and what's possible. Some of my students have thrown out different ideas.

Are there any links that you would like to promote? Are their any upcoming events/superfights that you would want to mention?
    I'm doing a seminar tour in the UK May 22-31 more info available at nibiru forum 10thplanetjj.com if your interested in learning Jiu Jitsu from me 10thplanetjiujitsusf.com shoutout to my sponsors onthemat.com onnit.com sfgoldman.com

- See more at: http://techwarriorz.com/v2/10th-plan....RyXtJAaJ.dpuf