Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin

What do you do when stuck in someone's guard?

Hi guys,

Wondering what you guys do as no-gi competitors when stuck in someone else's guard. I'm talking more to 10th planet guys fighting non 10th planet guys, i.e. you are against those probably looking for kimuras or hunting the overhook to set up traditional armbars and triangles.

I'm still working on my standing passes, so would be nice to know what people have as their 'go to' option.

Is it stand up passes all the way - if so, which ones - or do you have other tricks?

Thanks in advance all

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    To stand pass first you have to break the guard. When I am in someones guard I am trying to obtain as much posture as possible. This often means standing up while in my opponents guard. I try to pick my opponent up to break his guard then push his guard down with the help of gravity to break it. The better the guard the longer this takes. I will not sacrifice a sub to make this happen. Head on sternum and double bicep control till I can posture. It takes patience and precision. First objective is "don't die". All other objectives are always followed by first.

Array

School
    blank
    all day

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    all day

This is my go-to. There are some crucial details in this video that make a huge difference in the success rate.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Thanks guys, the reason I was asking is because I have been watching Josh Barnett's DVD on 'punishing the guard'.

Much of what he is showing is a way of making the guard so horrible for your opponent that they open their guard and allow you to escape without standing, which is why I wondered if this was a legit style.

Examples: He says to posture up and away to such an extent your opponent can't reach you. You then do the old school dig knees into thighs type escape and because you are so far away any kind of arm bar / triangle your opponent throws up will simply result in a pass.

Another example is the tripod. Josh gets his right arm around the guys head and left arm under his shoulder. He then jumps up onto his toes and begins to twist (uses his forehead in their face, etc too) until they let go with their legs. I guess this is 'kind of' a standing pass, although I didn't see it as related so much because hands are still on the floor too.

Welcoming more opinions and ideas

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    You have to remember about Josh that his in guard stuff will be quite body specific in that he is huge and having grappled for so long he is exceptionally strong and has unbelievable base.

Palhares breaks and passes the guard by pummeling one arm in and baiting the triangle then blasting upwards the moment the guard opens. They are options, but are fraught with danger.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    You have to remember about Josh that his in guard stuff will be quite body specific in that he is huge and having grappled for so long he is exceptionally strong and has unbelievable base.

Palhares breaks and passes the guard by pummeling one arm in and baiting the triangle then blasting upwards the moment the guard opens. They are options, but are fraught with danger.
    Was kind of my thoughts on it, Chris. I really like his methods, but I fear for smaller guys it would end up in you getting swept or having a technique (such as Rubber Guard) locked on you. That said, was interested as what I did like was that once the guard is open you are so close to your opponent and I like the clinch style - so the less time my weight is off my opponent the better.

Quite liking the Listner and BJ Penn style pass (hands on one side, knee to ribs on the other and twist).

I should say that my go to is still the Brandon Standing Guard Pass as I refer to it in the gym (because his was the first video I saw it so well broken down). I am just researching other styles - as much for enjoyment / study factor as looking for something new to add to my game

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    There's something I have been trying and it has been successful but could be smoother and it will have to be quick if you go against a good leg lock guy, I think I'm just missing a few key bits. While in their guard, I try get control of one of their wrists, sit back and step into his bicep or wrap the legs over his head if you have the long legs like myself and if you can pull him in close. If you feed your other arm through his legs after you break the guard, you can pass into side control. Open to all feedback to explain anything I'm missing with this technique though or if its worth the leg lock risks.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    Palhares breaks and passes the guard by pummeling one arm in and baiting the triangle then blasting upwards the moment the guard opens.
    I used to do that. It worked for a long time against whites and blues. I knew it wasn't smart, but it worked so I would do it. Then I went with a black belt my size. LOL. Yeah, it's a bad idea unless you're MUUUUCH stronger than the other guy.

As far as guard breaks, I've started using the Marcelo break and Keenan's hip heist a couple months ago with good success.

Array

School
    Tom Barlow/Kenny Baker Academy Plymouth 10th Planet Ronin
    A nasty variation is one hand controlling the hips the other on the neck like a rape choke. Pop up and put your weight forward like in the vid but put the pressure on the neck. It feels fucking awful and you can't move real well at all. Then twist to the side your hand on the hip is at while breaking the guard, knee slice to pass to side control, but don't let go of the neck till you knee slice. Next time I see you I'll show what I mean brother. Which reminds me, you coming to Micks seminar this Sunday bud?
    Paul 'Toppy' Ferguson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast