Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

My Weekend Matches at MSOA (Hit Electic Chair)

Hello warriors!
    I had a fun weekend competing at the Michigan Submission Only Association's 2nd Annual tournament.

I hit the electric chair in my first match for the W.
    My next two were lost in OT via PTS.

Their wrestler favored OT rules were NOT my friend..
    This year they removed pulling guard as an option and I was not ready for that because I don't mind being taken down. Pulling guard was an instant DQ.

In the year priors prior it was first 2pts wins in OT.
    Pulling guard was legal had to pass the guard to get the points.

Regardless I know that I should have finished the matches via Submission and had enough time to do it in. I will be back better and stronger next year to show the wrestlers what BJJ is all about!

I will post videos 1 by 1, and PLEASE give me ANY advice!
    Thanks ;p

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

This was a decent match. Guy was super strong for the division. I weighed in at 160 on the dot and idk how he made the cut (150-160lb) but he was a beast in strength. Made playing the lockdown a little more difficult because i had to defend my neck. He had brute strength to finish in a bad position with it.

I landed on my slightly weaker half guard side. I was able to hit the mechanic sweep, and went for the von flue choke a few times. Went for mechanic again and he tried to hit the kimura twice on different sides. Took the back and wanted to hit the twister hella bad to rep! but I was a bit low on the leg. Didnt shove it deeper the right way. He scrambled out and I was able to jump half guard on my strong side. Match was done within 30 seconds via electric chair! 10p4l
    Last edited by stan myaskovskiy; 08-11-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

Even though I lost in OT via PTS, I felt like this match not only boosted my confidence, but also was the first time I was truly able to have fun in a tournament and not worry about anything else. After the first 10 seconds of crazy spins and him not passing my guard I honestly started to feel the flow and truly let go. I wanted to get in the wrestlers head at this point so I kept going inverse and trying to go for his legs and triangles. I knew he was not comfortable there, and I have a lot of leg locks and submissions from there that I have been hitting with great success. He finally passed my guard and I wanted to ghost out but didn't have a whizzer.

I recently posted on the forums talking about the South/North counter to the North/South Choke. I REALLY wanted to hit it in competition ;p so I let him try and hit the choke. Although he didnt lock his hands properly for it, I was still in the proper position to get my South/North choke started. His neck was tucked a little but I was able to finally punch through to get the artery locked up. He was trying to still hit his for a second but if you watch close you can see he sits in, and then finally abandons on his choke to free his hands and defend mine. I didnt quite have the lock deep enough and lost it.

I got back to lockdown on my strong side after the choke and was able to instantly hit electric chair to the back and stoner control. I was getting him to push my away after a good squeeze and tried to hit vaporizer, but a moment of hesitation wondering if it were legal in my division and the position was lost, then reversed. I was able to counter to mount, and tried to hit an arm triangle. Missed it.
    Got back to lockdown and defended the D'arce with a strong underhook.
    Hit the stomp but didnt get to cocoon. Turtled and tried to sit out but he was a solid wrestler.
    He had a guillotene mounted for a seconds but it wasnt deep, was able to get out of it. Gave up the back to get back to top position. Once in guard I didnt want to posture and give him space. His subs were not good at all. Tried to lock up an Achilles lock but he defended and thats where I started to have trouble

I did realize in this match that although I can defend the back I need to spend more time on the new warm-up Eddie put out to get out of double hooks, as well as an additional few escapes. I feel my awareness on what to do right there such as arching, not getting flattened out, 2 on 1 control, turn into the choking arm, if you lose the arms pull on the top arm not the bottom one, etc.

Once we got to OT not gonna lie just tried to get an underhook at least and get taken down softly. I am not on a quarter level of pure wrestling as that kid was. That was his shark tank now and I knew I was the bait lol.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by stan myaskovskiy View Post

This was a decent match. Guy was super strong for the division. I weighed in at 160 on the dot and idk how he made the cut (150-160lb) but he was a beast in strength. Made playing the lockdown a little more difficult because i had to defend my neck. He had brute strength to finish in a bad position with it.

I landed on my slightly weaker half guard side. I was able to hit the mechanic sweep, and went for the von flue choke a few times. Went for mechanic again and he tried to hit the kimura. Took the back and wanted to hit the twister hella bad to rep! but I was a bit low on the leg. Didnt shove it deeper the right way. He scrambled out and I was able to jump half guard on my strong side. Match was done within 30 seconds via electric chair! 10p4l
    Excellent Job recognizing the transition to the back! I know you were trying to go for that Twister, but once that body lock is in, keep it in (IMO), keep the pressure on and wear them down. Granted you're match was 6 mins, it may have taken 8, but you wouldn't have been put back on your back where you were having some trouble initially dealing with all the Pressão, But you did a real good job re-securing your lockdown on your strong side and pulling off that electric chair. Either way it was a excellent Job!

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

The ONLY part of this match even worth watching IMO is the last two minutes.
    It was 5 min after my 2nd match and I was really not in the right mindset after losing in OT.

The first 8min I relaxed too much, gave up my back, I played a looser lockdown, and I didn't really do much at all on the offensive.
    Once I was in his guard I actually got some breath and motivation too. I started to feel like taking him out.

I passed on top and hit kimura, chained it to the triangle, and it was LOCKED on and DEEP. On training instinct I accidentally loosened it up once as he was passing out and let him come back to and I hit an armbar but he was able to choose to pain his way out of it and it was belly down too, not the best of armbars.

Regarless of my OT loss I still felt like I controlled the match most of the time and wasnt in much danger at any point.

I DO DEFINITELY NEED TO WORK MORE BACK DEFENSE :P
    Last edited by stan myaskovskiy; 08-11-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    Excellent Job recognizing the transition to the back! I know you were trying to go for that Twister, but once that body lock is in, keep it in (IMO), keep the pressure on and wear them down. Granted you're match was 6 mins, it may have taken 8, but you wouldn't have been put back on your back where you were having some trouble initially dealing with all the Pressão, But you did a real good job re-securing your lockdown on your strong side and pulling off that electric chair. Either way it was a excellent Job!
    Thank you John! I really appreciate the good words and definitely the advice. I think I too would keep the back if it were a higher level opponent.

For me, there were a couple reasons I tried to hit twister here.
    I do want to earn a hotbox status and I want to show that my skillset it blue belt level or at least close by showcasing our signature techniques.
    I also have been spending a lot of time in the truck lately during training so I felt comfortable there.
    Thank you again for the kind words and the opinions on the match John! ;p

Array

School
    Gold Country Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by stan myaskovskiy View Post
    That was a really fun match to watch! Looked you were having a lot of fun. I am just getting used to inverting in live rolls. Not really hitting much but my guard is improving a lot. Soo fun!

Keep it up!

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Did that wrestler in the first match have a 10th planet rashie???

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLucca View Post
    Did that wrestler in the first match have a 10th planet rashie???
    First match my opponent wasn't a wrestler. Last two were. This guy was a newer Clare hotbox 10th planet student. One of Brett's.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    in my opinion, you are making huge improvements in some key areas. keep competing and traveling. It is paying off huge dividends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast