Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Sounds like BJ expected this alone to win him the fight. Personally I have had nothing bad to say about dolce, been listening to his advice/diet for a while he seems legit. idk about 21k for 21 days or w/e but dudes gotta get paid i suppose.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir Allam View Post
    I love BJ, but his epitaph will read: "Incredible potential, but he refused to train consistently."

Give BJ's well-documented history of surrounding himself with yes-men who can't be bothered to question his inherent laziness, I find Dolce's version much more plausible. Dolce has worked with many dozens of fighters by now, and has thus far had only 3 problematic clients: Rampage (generally lazy and gets fat in between fights), Johnny Hendricks (was injured and also gets fat in between fights), and BJ Penn. Even these three always made weight on his watch. Rampage started camp for his fight against Machida at 260, and Dolce still managed to make weight.

In my opinion, Mike Dolce is little more than a glorified nanny. He cooks all of your meals, makes sure you eat all of your vegetables, and makes you go outside and play instead of watching TV all day. Though it sounds simple, those easy steps are the difference between success and failure in weight cutting. When we pour all of our energy into training, we're more likely to fuck up and eat the wrong shit and drink too much (okay, maybe I just mean "me" when I say "we"). I believe in and try to keep to a whole-foods plant-based diet, but I god-knows-why ate pizza last week while drunk as piss. If I had a Mike Dolce making me delicious food at all hours of the day and telling me to stop drinking after my 3rd beer, I wouldn't fuck up and would probably be ripped.

And history shown that this sort of thing is exactly what BJ needs. He needs somebody to take the reins and force him to train, force him to eat right, and force him to drill technique. He trained with hard-nosed conditioning coach Marv Marinovich for the Diego Sanchez fight and he looked like a professional sodomist for the full 5 rounds. He trained with no-nonsense striking coach Jason Parillo for his fight against Nick Diaz, and his striking was beautiful from all of the slip-and-rip drills (watch that fight again; in the first round it was gorgeous technique from BJ, and then he gassed). He 'trained' with Dolce and made the lowest weight class of his life with no problems.

If BJ had surrounded himself with such quality people for his entire career, we would remember him as the best ever. He could've beaten Jens Pulver and GSP and hell, maybe even Lyoto Machida. He could've held two belts simultaneously. The only blame that falls on his trainers is that he didn't keep the right ones around.
    I agree with this 100%, BJ Penn should be blaming that feet on hips guard not Dolce
    Feet on Hips with 0 offense
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    10th planet HQ
    I love BJ, but his epitaph will read: "Incredible potential, but he refused to train consistently."

Give BJ's well-documented history of surrounding himself with yes-men who can't be bothered to question his inherent laziness, I find Dolce's version much more plausible. Dolce has worked with many dozens of fighters by now, and has thus far had only 3 problematic clients: Rampage (generally lazy and gets fat in between fights), Johnny Hendricks (was injured and also gets fat in between fights), and BJ Penn. Even these three always made weight on his watch. Rampage started camp for his fight against Machida at 260, and Dolce still managed to make weight.

In my opinion, Mike Dolce is little more than a glorified nanny. He cooks all of your meals, makes sure you eat all of your vegetables, and makes you go outside and play instead of watching TV all day. Though it sounds simple, those easy steps are the difference between success and failure in weight cutting. When we pour all of our energy into training, we're more likely to fuck up and eat the wrong shit and drink too much (okay, maybe I just mean "me" when I say "we"). I believe in and try to keep to a whole-foods plant-based diet, but I god-knows-why ate pizza last week while drunk as piss. If I had a Mike Dolce making me delicious food at all hours of the day and telling me to stop drinking after my 3rd beer, I wouldn't fuck up and would probably be ripped.

And history shown that this sort of thing is exactly what BJ needs. He needs somebody to take the reins and force him to train, force him to eat right, and force him to drill technique. He trained with hard-nosed conditioning coach Marv Marinovich for the Diego Sanchez fight and he looked like a professional sodomist for the full 5 rounds. He trained with no-nonsense striking coach Jason Parillo for his fight against Nick Diaz, and his striking was beautiful from all of the slip-and-rip drills (watch that fight again; in the first round it was gorgeous technique from BJ, and then he gassed). He 'trained' with Dolce and made the lowest weight class of his life with no problems.

If BJ had surrounded himself with such quality people for his entire career, we would remember him as the best ever. He could've beaten Jens Pulver and GSP and hell, maybe even Lyoto Machida. He could've held two belts simultaneously. The only blame that falls on his trainers is that he didn't keep the right ones around.
    Well put bro

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Fuck, I will cook any one of you Paleo meals, run with you, train with you and push you for a grand a day.
    When do we start?

* Disclaimer - I can't push the guys that would beast me in Jits of course, on the mats, but I can go hard with HITT, etc.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Next level combat 10th planet St Paul MN
    Whatever he's doing, top level athletes keep handing him money. As far as his cook book and program, its pretty legit. It's not based on carbs/no carbs or whatever. It's just clean food recipes with modifications based on your preference and needs. I saw BJ's fight, and I don't think Dolce told him to use that upright stance. Of course EVERYONE involved blames someone else.

Array

School
    HQ
    His knowledge of nutrition is highly limited from a scientific perspective, although in terms of practical application he does recommend quality nutrient dense foods. He interjects lots of hippie aspects and terminology like "earth-grown nutrients," "natural," and "organic" into his sales pitch. It's a portion controlled diet with nutrient dense foods - nothing special.

- said my friend

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Guys are paying him and they're all making weight. Either a weird coincidence or he's doing something right.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    I always wanted to know how he is giving them all fruit during the cut. Sounds really nice actually the way he does it. I have a copy of GSP's exact cut that 2 doctors designed and it says no fruits. no starches, no salt etc. Dolce has always seemed very legit in his knowledge to me. Just wish he didnt keep everything a secret unless you pay him 22k

chris miah

Quote Originally Posted by Apperz View Post
    Sorry, I was using Atkins as a way of describing Low Carbs of a certain kind & High Protein - I know that isn't exactly what it is. Dolce, from what I seen, is Low Carbs (breads, pasta, oats) & High Protein with fruit and vegetables added for some carbs / bulk… pretty much what any dedicated athlete does when cutting anyway.

Couldn't do it unless I'm close to a comp, personally. Need my breads and pasta and porridge - buckwheat doesn't cut it
    Yeah exactly, most dedicated athletes do it anyway. Also shows how many don't do things right though.

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    damn, i dont think anyone could put it better than that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12