Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Eddy View Post
    It does really hurt us, in a sense, that we have such a negative stance against ibjjf and points tournaments. Pretty hard to make any argument for 10pjj when our guys only compete at small tournaments like gracie worlds (pretty much an all 10P event still at this point) and 10P put on events like EBI. The only people trying 10p techniques at the black belt levels in these point tournaments are people not from our school. These point tournaments are the only BJJ stage at the moment to put technique on display. The only other option is Metamoris. It would be great to have one of our top guys on a Metamoris card, but the hard thing there is it's kind of hard to build a resume/following for you to get invited if you're only competing at random unknown comps. You might beat some big names in those lesser known comps (geo vs glover), but less people will know about it.

It's not like the 10P system's techniques translate poorly in a point format. We go for subs often (a good strat for advantages) and Eddie's style in particular is very well suited for points. It's very systematic from quater guard to better position.

It's not a conspiracy that 10p moves are questioned. The only people to bring them to the bigger stages so far are Eddie and every so often from people outside the system. And that's too bad, because we have guys at that upper level. ADCC, IBJJF, any stage that has the eyes of the bjj scene, we need to be at. It's sad that when I go scrolling through footage of the top JJ comp of the year the only person I see hitting electric chairs is a guy outside of our school. We should change that..
    Well said Ben
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    So, shall we call that hesitant agreement? lol
    I guess in a way lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Rafael Lovato Jr competed at Five instead of IBJJF. Just saw his medal pics. Big statement right there, I think.
    I know hes sponsored by them so Im not sure if thats the reason or its a silent protest on ibjjf. Only speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    These are the usual IBJJF gripes that echo throughout this forum that, for the most part, I agree with. But refusing to compete on our sports highest stage because you don't like the ruleset is a tragedy. The IOC has all kids of criticism, but I don't see the high jumpers refusing to compete because they measure the jumps in meters instead of just seeing who jumps higher! That's a silly example. My point is that 10th Planet is full of beasts who specialize in NOGI jiu jitsu. It seems extremely silly not to send our best guys forward to showcase the system.
    To compete in these tournaments is to support these tournaments. If guys don't like the way the rule set is but still pay however much to do it, then there's no chance of change. Back of the bus Rosa Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dewitt Jr View Post
    I think using the example of meters is a poor example....we are talking dq for reaping in black belt competitions. Guys getting an advantage and not attacking or improving after that.
    And guys purposely moving the foot over to get a reaping DQ. Infuriating. I hope they have fixed that one at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    Rules can be changed and should. AJ Agazarm won gold by getting 2 points on a takedown and then purposefully stalling, receiving 2 penalties to burn time before he engaged in the match again. THAT is egregious. The closeouts need to stop. It happens waaay too often.

One suggestion made by the commentators was to have teams on "one side of the bracket" so that they face each other earlier and must chose THEN, instead of the final, where another team would have made the same choice in a quaterfinal match. That way, in the final, when we are paying attention, you are guaranteed two people from different teams.

Final thought: time to go through the interwebs and look up Yuri Simoes fight vids. Beast.
    I like that idea. I still don't understand close outs. You battle in the gym why not for the gold?

And thank you to whoever gave the negative rep point..Not sure what the hell rep points are even for but ok. gtfo

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I guess in a way lol.

I know hes sponsored by them so Im not sure if thats the reason or its a silent protest on ibjjf. Only speculation.

To compete in these tournaments is to support these tournaments. If guys don't like the way the rule set is but still pay however much to do it, then there's no chance of change. Back of the bus Rosa Parks.

And guys purposely moving the foot over to get a reaping DQ. Infuriating. I hope they have fixed that one at least.

I like that idea. I still don't understand close outs. You battle in the gym why not for the gold?

And thank you to whoever gave the negative rep point..Not sure what the hell rep points are even for but ok. gtfo
    was that a LI ref. with the rosa parks thing, if so well played
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    Precision Jiu Jitsu
    I have mixed feelings on this in I do agree that if you do not like the rules as they are dumb with reaping and the stalling to win on points then why pay our hard earned money on this but I agree with Ben Eddy in if 10P is going to be taken seriously it has to win on this level as it is the UFC of the BJJ competition scene. Until something bigger comes along or the mainstream guys stop doing it then it is the "world champion" of BJJ.
    I would love to see the top guys compete on this stage and maybe the forum community could sponsor their trip to make it financially effective for them.....just my 2 cents....

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by imported_scott View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this in I do agree that if you do not like the rules as they are dumb with reaping and the stalling to win on points then why pay our hard earned money on this but I agree with Ben Eddy in if 10P is going to be taken seriously it has to win on this level as it is the UFC of the BJJ competition scene. Until something bigger comes along or the mainstream guys stop doing it then it is the "world champion" of BJJ.
    I would love to see the top guys compete on this stage and maybe the forum community could sponsor their trip to make it financially effective for them.....just my 2 cents....
    ADCC is definitely the world championship and UFC of no-gi. The IBJJF pales in comparison.

10th Planet seems to have its goals rightly set on ADCC...the real deal.

Array

School
    RONIN
    Here are my thoughts on the subject. To my knowledge, no one from 10th planet has ever won the IBJJF NoGi Worlds, or even medaled at the Black Belt division. Who wouldn't want an IBJJF NoGI Worlds title added to their resume? Also, there was an article earlier this year talking about the future being invite only at the Black Belt level. Wouldn't that be something. You just can't ignore one of the most prestiges jiu jitsu tournaments in the world because it doesn't fit your taste. Lets be real. I would want to win them all and so would most of you.

Array

School
    RONIN
    Unless you count Vinny Magalhaes, but does he really count seeing how he was promoted to Black belt from Royler Gracie?

Array

School
    Movimento BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Alvarez View Post
    Here are my thoughts on the subject. To my knowledge, no one from 10th planet has ever won the IBJJF NoGi Worlds, or even medaled at the Black Belt division. Who wouldn't want an IBJJF NoGI Worlds title added to their resume? Also, there was an article earlier this year talking about the future being invite only at the Black Belt level. Wouldn't that be something. You just can't ignore one of the most prestiges jiu jitsu tournaments in the world because it doesn't fit your taste. Lets be real. I would want to win them all and so would most of you.
    You're right. Starting in 2015, in order to compete at Worlds as a black belt, you must have either won or made the podium (I can't remember which one) at an ibjjf event the previous year. It is their way of getting high level competitors out to local events. Not many black belts do the Chicago ibjjf open but this year Caio Terra came out to qualify for next May's Worlds.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    They still DQ black belts for reaping? lol

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Elements BJJ Brighton
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber Kamischke View Post
    You're right. Starting in 2015, in order to compete at Worlds as a black belt, you must have either won or made the podium (I can't remember which one) at an ibjjf event the previous year. It is their way of getting high level competitors out to local events. Not many black belts do the Chicago ibjjf open but this year Caio Terra came out to qualify for next May's Worlds.
    In order to compete at the IBJJF worlds 2015, competitors have to meet at least one of the following criteria;
    Accrued 50 points or more in IBJJF comps at BB
    Previously won the worlds as a BB
    Won the 2014 worlds at brown

As for the "which is the most prestigious tournament"?
    Gi = IBJJF worlds (all levels)
    NOGI = ADCC (elite/BB only)

As ADCC is elite level, I would guess that below that (say blue or purple), then it depends on locale for nogi.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast