Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Shawn hammonds/Nashville MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Trez "Rat" Reyna View Post
    Ive never trained in a gi before. Mostly because I cant really afford one. Im gonna have to suck it up though cause the only JJ class in my town is Gi and I need to get some kind of mat time in. HOWEVER..........Im 10P4L!!! Ronin Status!
    Yea man I really do think if u roll in a gi it doesnt diminish your nogi too much, just find guys to roll with on the side and take off the gi

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony "The Goods" Garcia View Post
    I enjoy the gi and its intricacies, it's where I started. I currently train about 90% no gi 10% gi. I've had far fewer injuries from no gi and it rarely causes the arthritis pain that I get from gi. That's my take lol.
    Definitely agree, the gi makes you hold death grips

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    I would do more no-gi than gi, if your schedule allows it. But what are your goals? Don't say self-defense because either will suffice. Cardio, health? Either will suffice. MMA? Add striking and MMA classes to no-gi. Jiu-jitsu for its own sake? Either. 50/50.
    Well I wanted to get my traditional bjj belts and do good in tournaments and represent the team and all, so with the gi it's more goal oriented, but my heart is more with no gi I would say

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mayall View Post
    I train about two thirds gi, one third no gi, back I make it so that my game is interchangeable. No spider guard, worm guard, just things that translate both very well. In my opinion I would suggest you get into half guard, which is nearly identical with and without the kimono. The first two years I only trained in the gi and when I started no gi my half guard was more effective because your opponent can't grub your clothing anymore
    I agree, half guard is one of my stronger points and I always used lockdown in the gi so it comes in really handy no gi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12