Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    At 4:48 Brandon is what i was telling you about that one night that i was thinking about using. doing it from half guard sitting up and rolling over right shoulder or left if you on other side. You didn't take me very serious ahhhhhhhh o well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Blankenship View Post
    At 4:48 Brandon is what i was telling you about that one night that i was thinking about using. doing it from half guard sitting up and rolling over right shoulder or left if you on other side. You didn't take me very serious ahhhhhhhh o well.
    i thought you were talking about doing it from the lockdown, which is nuts. the movement you are talking about (and that ryan teaches at the 4:43 mark) is called the Trickster. pg 86 in Mastering the Twister.

sorry i didn't believe in you, singlet.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

nah i was saying if he was in your half guard all you had to do is get his arm over and situp and roll. and the grapevine you have on a person's leg when rolling is like a reverse lockdown. I had a great time rolling with the 7th grade football team the other day. I swear people thought I was super man or something. Stay tuned next week when I get to roll with the 3rd grade cafeteria lunch ladies.

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    I think there are definite advantages to the way Ryan does it. In my opinion, not grape-vining your legs makes you more mobile for the roll. However, I think someone that knew what he was doing in the TSC could avoid the lower leg hook. Using your top leg to open their legs has made my twister roll much better from TSC.

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Ryan Hall equals AWESOMENESS!

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha/ SIMS Martial Arts Academy
    now i totally think its awesome that people are utilizing 10th planet techniques especially the twister roll which is very unique to the system and i think its awesome that great jiu-jitsu guys that didn't want to do a super fight with denny prokopos are now using the technique and even putting videos out about it but i'd be surprised to see or hear a mention just giving eddie credit, props, and acknowledgement for the innovation eddie has put forth with the move.

with that said it makes me feel uneasy that 10th planet shit will get put out like its unique to some one elses game and that its not in fact 10th planet. Its already enough bs to hear people say that the techniques we do or our system is not unique but to watch it actually be taught and with the idea that its being taught without giving a little respect where respect might just lead to a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by nabbflax View Post
    why take a 10th planet tech and make it not work as good... just seems like he wanted to make it better and failed... the lockdown gives you way more control, so why not use it ?

Ryan Hall should have MTTT on his xmas list
    2 things:

1. Ryan didn't take a 10th planet technique. He just started doing the rolling back take over the past couple years. He isn't familiar with the truck or any of the 10th Planet twister roll stuff. I don't think he's ever seen it.

2. Have you seen any of his recent matches from 09 or 10, or ADCC 09? He has destroyed people with this rolling back take, and he has it down crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Madsen View Post
    Just so you guys know, twister side control is also called ushiro kesa gatame. The truck is also a sambo position. EVERYTHING has most likely been done before somewhere.

And Ryan Hall could kick most people on here's asses.

Just sayin'.
    Not only that, but Ryan along with Jeff Glover and Baret Yoshida are the 3 best American lightweight/featherweight competitors to ever do BJJ and sub grappling. Not even close. They're so far ahead of the next best Americans at that weight.
    Last edited by Mike Nall; 12-05-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Gammel View Post
    but when the entire rest of his game is based in trad. 1/2 guard, why would he use lockdown in this single situation?

seems unnecessary, especially when he doesn't stay in the truck and simply transitions to the back.
    While it is true Ryan goes straight to the back, I think you may be confusing him with Jeff Glover when you say his game is based on the half guard. Jeff's game was/is famous for the deep half. Ryan has started doing the deep half a lot, but I haven't seen much of him in the basic half guard, except in the older days when shooting for a triangle from the overhook half guard.

Lately Hall has been doing tons of back-takes both gi and no-gi. Lots of Rear Naked Chokes and Bow & Arrows. The Marcelo Guillotine from hell. Obviously 50/50 sweeps, reverse heelhooks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Stewart View Post
    now i totally think its awesome that people are utilizing 10th planet techniques especially the twister roll which is very unique to the system and i think its awesome that great jiu-jitsu guys that didn't want to do a super fight with denny prokopos are now using the technique and even putting videos out about it but i'd be surprised to see or hear a mention just giving eddie credit, props, and acknowledgement for the innovation eddie has put forth with the move.

with that said it makes me feel uneasy that 10th planet shit will get put out like its unique to some one elses game and that its not in fact 10th planet. Its already enough bs to hear people say that the techniques we do or our system is not unique but to watch it actually be taught and with the idea that its being taught without giving a little respect where respect might just lead to a trend.
    Are you really saying Ryan Hall stole a move (that was most likely done before any of us were born) and isn't giving credit for it, when it is actually different than the twister roll? Actually watch the entire DVD and not just a sample clip.

As for the grapevine back-take, Gokor, Karo, and a lot of other guys take the back with a grapevine. I learned it from a CACC guy in Maine in 2001.

Also, for everyone's benefit:

Last edited by Mike Nall; 12-05-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Array

School
    Sjårdalen mma
    [QUOTE=WhiteMike2k9;26631]2 things:

1. Ryan didn't take a 10th planet technique. He just started doing the rolling back take over the past couple years. He isn't familiar with the truck or any of the 10th Planet twister roll stuff. I don't think he's ever seen it.

Find it hard to believe that a top level grappler doesnt know shit about what Eddie teaches...
    And if he isnt familiar with the truck is he is kinda ignorant to other styles of grappling and I really doubt that.
    In case he isnt tho he should become familiar with the 10th planet system.. Evolve or die.
    Most of Eddies game is stuff he has from other styles of grappling like sambo, judo and wrestling that he has worked into his bjj game and named for his system.

Pulling out to the side to end a triangle choke is old school, but its ofc awesome that Ryan Hall shows it so ppl that dont use it and arent aware of it see.
    Think that kinda got out sourced cause its not that easy in live rolling so ppl just got really good at the squeeze.

Ryan Hall is a beast no doubt. Just saying I personally have the feeling of more control with the grapevine and it gives you more options then just taking the back, gives you the truck, where you can have mad submission game and also gives you the option of going for the twister.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast