Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jiu Jitsu Apnea

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness

Jiu Jitsu Apnea

Came across something called Email apnea. When opening up emails people can get anxious and not very self aware. Studies have found changes in respiration, pulse rate, and brain activity. Anticipation of what's in emails or texts leads to spontaneous breath holding

So made me think of high anxiety moments when I stopped breathing properly or have shallower breaths like while trying to finish a submission on a bigger sized partner, clinching(standing or ground), picking someone up, when new people have someone on top of them, getting flurried on with punches or lifting heavy weight, etc.

Found this breathing monitor(https://spire.io/) you can wear all day that track your breathing. Not sure if this would work while doing jiu jitsu because of all the movement and not sure if it can get wet or not. Maybe something similar could be made specifically for contact sports with grappling or striking, if the original wouldnt already work

Maybe if you looked back at video time to see what was happening during the lowest breath rate times and work on breath awareness during those times

Would love to know of other possible ideas for dealing with jiu jitsu apnea if anyone can think of any

#NinjaScience #UnconventionalTraining #10wO #Air #Relax #Breath #TotalHumanOptimization

-Clips to your waist

-ad from Spire website
    Last edited by Sean Marshall; 03-21-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Array

School
    CBS Los Angeles news video on Email Apnea

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    No way. You find the craziest stuff.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Wtf :-)
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Interesting parallel to draw. I like the term "jiujitsu apnea"; it's more polite than "being a fucking spaz".

Breathing is incredibly important. Many years ago, I had a horrible problem gassing out fairly early in matches. Part of it is that I was an oversized gorilla relying on a feeble human respiratory system, and part of it was that I would clench my jaw and fail to breathe. My solution was to start chewing gum while rolling. Sounds weird, but it really helps me remember to relax and take even, unhurried breaths (lest I suck the gum into my windpipe). On the downside, I've always worried that it makes me look like a cocky douche à la Iceman in Top Gun.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir Allam View Post
    Interesting parallel to draw. I like the term "jiujitsu apnea"; it's more polite than "being a fucking spaz".

Breathing is incredibly important. Many years ago, I had a horrible problem gassing out fairly early in matches. Part of it is that I was an oversized gorilla relying on a feeble human respiratory system, and part of it was that I would clench my jaw and fail to breathe. My solution was to start chewing gum while rolling. Sounds weird, but it really helps me remember to relax and take even, unhurried breaths (lest I suck the gum into my windpipe). On the downside, I've always worried that it makes me look like a cocky douche à la Iceman in Top Gun.
    Orchard just talked about chewing gum at his seminar and talked about how it kind of kept him in the zone. There was actually a study done recently that showed chewing gum increased performance in athletes. I tried it over the last week and I actually felt a little more flow when rolling. I'll try to find the article, maybe baseball players have been on to something for a while?

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago

Array

School
    Michael Jordan chewed gum during games. Here is a pick from a lecture in one of my recent threads. Shows how biting down alters brain function

Shows increased activity in the Cerebellum. Increase and decreases depending on mouth guard thickness

Just found this article looking up M Jordans gum chewing. The Washington Wizards have a gum cabinet because Jordan use to chew all the time for free throws or something. You guys got me seriously wondering about chewing gum while grappling now. Just wonder if people are chewing while they have a mouth-guard in

Washington Wizards gum cabinet. Gum is a staple in a lot of NBA locker rooms, but apparently the Wizards gum game is particularly strong.

Article link -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...t-full-of-gum/

Jordan chewed gum during games because he believed in a study that showed chewing gum helps the mind concentrate.
    Last edited by Sean Marshall; 03-23-2015 at 03:01 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Thanks, guys! I no longer have to feel like I'm being a prick now that I know Orchard and MJ do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Marshall View Post
    ... guys got me seriously wondering about chewing gum while grappling now. Just wonder if people are chewing while they have a mouth-guard in...
    I never wear mouthpiece or cup when grappling, because you never know when you might need to bite or rape somebody.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir Allam View Post
    Thanks, guys! I no longer have to feel like I'm being a prick now that I know Orchard and MJ do it.

I never wear mouthpiece or cup when grappling, because you never know when you might need to bite or rape somebody.
    LOL. Might still look like a prick chewing gum, but not feeling like one is definitely way more important and controllable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast