Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    10th Planet is a family. We got something for everyone. Ive had tremendous ups and downs and regardless of what happened, 10th Planet has always had my back.

Array

School
    10th Planet London / Nottingham
    Just like everyone else is saying, keep turning up and just have fun with it. Don't take sparring too seriously and attempt what you've been taught in the class, you'll find that you like techniques that you previously thought wouldn't suit you. I would also recommend going to the Monday and Wednesday classes, since they are the fundamental classes which Sean teaches (he is a beast by the way).

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    My advice would be to drill everything SLOWLY and METHODICALLY until it is perfect. You may well see Jamie and the other more experienced guys doing it fast, but the slower you drill the moves the more exact they will be.

Its far easier to make something that is slow but PERFECT and then add speed than it is to continually drill fast over and over until its perfect. In fact drilling constantly at full speed will almost never result in perfect technique.

Doing something too fast is a real pitfall of beginners as they are basically compensating for not knowing what they are doing, and why they are doing it. Take your time regardless how fast te move is being shown or how fast the other guys in the room are going. Have fun!

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    thanks again for all of the responses.

had an awesome time at my first class. couldn't have asked for a more friendly/respectful group to train with. obviously I was mostly way out of my comfort zone, and at times even felt as though I was holding everyone else back. but sean and everyone there were more than patient with helping me and answering any questions I had. all and all a very positive first experience, and I'm counting the hours until I go back on wednesday.

safe to say I'm hooked.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    My advice would be to drill everything SLOWLY and METHODICALLY until it is perfect.
    This is the absolute holy grail of advice. Do not rush techniques, particularly when you're drilling them. Have your training partner offer no resistance and just try to get the mechanics right. Every angle, every base point, every point of contact has a purpose and is there for a reason. I've found that in live rolls, drilling like this really helps out because it forces me to slice up the technique, and treat each move as what they really are, which is move within moves. Then, as you drill to perfection and start going for things in rolls, you'll start to see guys react a certain way to your 'move within moves', then you can begin dissecting the mindset within the moves wiTHIN the moves, and start making it a chess match. Kinda like the movie Inception where it's a dream within a dream within a dream? But it all starts with drilling to perfection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12