Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Array

School
    10th planet San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    I think he meant Assistant To The Instructor, not Assistant Instructor.
    The point was to not base anything on a blue belt
    Not sure why some are trying to prove the exception to the rule

This thread ended when da Zog spoke

Mojoplata

assistant-to-the-g4m73f.jpg

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojoplata View Post
    He has the honor of being the "senpai,' meaning he does duties as assigned by his sensei. Including but not limited to:

-mopping the mats

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    "Dwight Schrute, promoted from assistant to the regional manager, to assistant regional manager"

edit: GOD DAMMIT! ^^ lol I was following this from the beginning and thought I was the first to think of this hahaha

Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinculp View Post
    If I had a dollar for every white belt that has told me how his old instructor was holding him back or not promoting him even though he clearly has high level skills. Wish they would shut up and win tournaments and shut up and train harder than their team mates. Do that and everything else falls in to place. Don't and you're just another guy talking noise.
    My post has nothing to do with rank. I could care less about my belt. It was more about fairness and integrity. To some of us that is more important. I could very well go and get smashed.

Array

School
    One Combat Academy
    Herzog, devil's advocate here, we're talking about a comp, so there's not much to save him from. A couple tapouts early in his career aren't that big a deal. And I have a lot of trouble with the notion of any instructor, no matter how great, having the final say on anything I do in my life. Teaching is a partnership. I'm paying you to teach me and advise me, but ultimately I make choices. When I make dumb ones, you might have known better, but I will have learned.

That said, the real issue here is what kind of instructor do you have? Will doing your own thing risk your training relationship? Is that worth more than one single tournament?

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikLavigne View Post
    My post has nothing to do with rank. I could care less about my belt. It was more about fairness and integrity. To some of us that is more important. I could very well go and get smashed.
    I was just playing off of Zog with the very common white belt know it all types. Not directed at you personally. As an assistant to the instructor myself I have seen many of them. But I wouldn't pay and stay at a place if it didn't meet my expectations either. You should value the service you pay for. It's your money!

Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinculp View Post
    I was just playing off of Zog with the very common white belt know it all types. Not directed at you personally. As an assistant to the instructor myself I have seen many of them. But I wouldn't pay and stay at a place if it didn't meet my expectations either. You should value the service you pay for. It's your money!
    Ah, my bad. It's still too early to tell. I've been going here for almost 4 months 2-3 times a week. I see a lot of inconsistency and I think it's because of his TKD background and he's only a purple belt in JJ. I'm going to give it a solid 6 months and reevaluate. I have visited the machado school and love the organization and teaching method, but it's more expensive and farther away. So I will keep using the forums to help me out.

Array

School
    Elements BJJ Brighton
    If you've competed in nogi before at a higher level AND been successful then IMO it is sandbagging.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Last year I was in the same postion. I signed up for intermediate in NoGi and Whitebelt in Gi. There were no problems. (Grappling Industries)

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast