Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Green View Post
    It does suck to watch a student (you know is awsome) lose because he gasses. I have a very good blue belt (ready for purple soon) who is awsome....his gas is good, but when he goes to compete..he just cant "get up" for it. His nerves get the best of him and he bolos. He just doesnt have the competitive spirit...doesnt like the "tournament scene"...but if those same guys came into our gym, he'd tool them. His problem is his mind...so do I hold him back from moving on because he sux in competition or do I promote him based on what he can do and what he knows?? He has since walked away from JJ because he doesnt like competeing poorly and knowing he cant perform to his potential in a tournament..
    So true Kevin, this happens alot!
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Green View Post
    It does suck to watch a student (you know is awsome) lose because he gasses. I have a very good blue belt (ready for purple soon) who is awsome....his gas is good, but when he goes to compete..he just cant "get up" for it. His nerves get the best of him and he bolos. He just doesnt have the competitive spirit...doesnt like the "tournament scene"...but if those same guys came into our gym, he'd tool them. His problem is his mind...so do I hold him back from moving on because he sux in competition or do I promote him based on what he can do and what he knows?? He has since walked away from JJ because he doesnt like competeing poorly and knowing he cant perform to his potential in a tournament..
    That SUCKS! And that is a very good question.... I would shark tank his ass for a month straight, then a week off, then compete in the beginner division no-gi. You have to start at or below your level (competition wise) in order to overcome the mental blocks. and truly get to where your competing at your maximum abilities. But that is just my opinion. If you could get him back in the gym...

Array

School
    Triple Threat Combat Sports / Yamasaki Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    So true Kevin, this happens alot!
    and its sad...I feel for the guy. I mean I have fighters who bolo a fight but come back strong, you work with them on their mind set and their fighting skill...but this guy was good and always would bolo. Ive seen him totally run through a guy in class (a visiting student from a local gym) and go to a tournament against the same guy and lose... I tried every trick. He thinks he isnt good at JJ...but he just isnt good at competeing....I wish hed come back...he makes a great training partner for gus getting ready to compete

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keeling View Post
    That SUCKS! And that is a very good question.... I would shark tank his ass for a month straight, then a week off, then compete in the beginner division no-gi. You have to start at or below your level (competition wise) in order to overcome the mental blocks. and truly get to where your competing at your maximum abilities. But that is just my opinion. If you could get him back in the gym...
    did it all...Ive tanked him over and over (and he does well with the guys in class)...he goes in tournaments and just cant stick it. I tried to tell him that I didnt want him to feel like he had to compete, just train and enjoy....but he walked away. I hope to get him back. Hes a good guy, works hard, and good training partner for my guys.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Damn! Hate to hear that. What division did he compete in? Still blows eitherway!

Well I look at it like this:
    Before I tested I believed I was at Blue belt level. After I tested, there was no doubting it, I knew I was a Blue belt! Now you may be onto something else too. My instructor loved to preach "If I beat you because my cardio is better than yours, I still beat you" So I am sure he didn't want to be represented by anyone with no cardio. It hurts to see a friend (who you know is a superior fighter) lose because he gasses out... So imagine watching your students lose the same way. That would suck!
    I'll counter with, "what if someone doesn't train for a month for whatever reason and gets way out of shape. Should he then lose his rank until he gets back his cardio?".

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by JusLove View Post
    I'll counter with, "what if someone doesn't train for a month for whatever reason and gets way out of shape. Should he then lose his rank until he gets back his cardio?".
    Nope

Array

School
    Damn! Hate to hear that. What division did he compete in? Still blows eitherway!
    u name it...

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Quote Originally Posted by JusLove View Post
    No! You can never take back something that is earned... Rank is "earned" not given!

No! You can never take back something that is earned... Rank is "earned" not given!
    exactly but my point was that cardio should not be much of a factor in promoting someone or not.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast