Array

School
    The Forge BJJ

Jedi mind powers as RG and triangle defense?

Tonight after sparring my opponent asked the blackbelt instructor what to do when I get him in that "high guard" (he knows it's called rubberguard, he and some others call it high guard to be dismissive of it I think).

The blackbelt tells him two things:

1. Just posture up as hard as you can, he'll either let go or his knee will blow out.
    2. Rubberguard only works if you allow it to. It's like a triangle, it only works if you let it.

I'm dumbfounded upon hearing this...

Needless to say my opponent still has no idea how to defend my rubberguard. So after this grand explanation about triangle and RG defense I said to the guy "come here" and I showed him to keep his hand on my chest and not let me zombie him (I figured this was a good first step to defending). I let him try to posture and struggle a little, just to explore the position, with and without the hand on the mat so he could see the difference. But the second I started to explain, the blackbelt instructor walked away without a word.

My favorite instructor, the guy I take all my privates from, is very supportive of RG even though his game is nothing like that. He's super stocky and plays deep-half, but he's smart, and he's able to help me understand things about what I'm doing and coach me through it.

But damn I would sure like to be rolling nogi with guys who could really help me understand and improve my lockdown and RG games, cause that's pretty much all I play. I long to be drilling warmups!

10p OKC please!
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 12-09-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    Tonight after sparring my opponent asked the blackbelt instructor what to do when I get him in that "high guard" (he knows it's called rubberguard, he and some others call it high guard to be dismissive of it I think).

The blackbelt tells him two things:

1. Just posture up as hard as you can, he'll either let go or his knee will blow out.
    2. Rubberguard only works if you allow it to. It's like a triangle, it only works if you let it.

I'm dumbfounded upon hearing this...

Needless to say my opponent still has no idea how to defend my rubberguard. So after this grand explanation about triangle and RG defense I said to the guy "come here" and I showed him to keep his hand on my chest and not let me zombie him (I figured this was a good first step to defending). I let him try to posture and struggle a little, just to explore the position, with and without the hand on the mat so he could see the difference. But the second I started to explain, the blackbelt instructor walked away without a word.

My favorite instructor, the guy I take all my privates from, is very supportive of RG even though his game is nothing like that. He's super stocky and plays deep-half, but he's smart, and he's able to help me understand things about what I'm doing and coach me through it.

But damn I would sure like to be rolling nogi with guys who could really help me understand and improve my lockdown and RG games, cause that's pretty much all I play. I long to be drilling warmups!

10p OKC please!

Yep, the only reason that triangle Eddie did tapped out Royler is because Royler let it happen. Because he felt bad for Eddie. After all, Eddie was just a brown belt. Pour brown belt.

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    After my old school instructor (Royler Gracie black belt and also a very stocky guy) studied rubber guard and watched me have success with it with pretty good guys, he began to appreciate it and understand it. Before he thought it was a gimmicky game, luckily he's an open minded guy and has a lot of respect for different styles. He's also embraced leg locks as of late despite 20+ years of never playing with them. Having a truly open minded instructor is one of the biggest blessings you can have as a student. If you keep having success with rubber guard, it will be hard for any instructor to deny it's effectiveness.
    The Name is Nick Paul

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by hespectnogi View Post
    After my old school instructor (Royler Gracie black belt and also a very stocky guy) studied rubber guard and watched me have success with it with pretty good guys, he began to appreciate it and understand it. Before he thought it was a gimmicky game, luckily he's an open minded guy and has a lot of respect for different styles. He's also embraced leg locks as of late despite 20+ years of never playing with them. Having a truly open minded instructor is one of the biggest blessings you can have as a student. If you keep having success with rubber guard, it will be hard for any instructor to deny it's effectiveness.
    LOL, Vinny used it to score the two points that won him ADCC absolute, a lower belt tapping another low belt wont change anyone's mind if that wont. I've been there, achievement wont get you respect with some folks. Normally we would just disregard those guys, but its rough when they are your coach. Eventually most people either give 10p up or change gyms if their coach is super closed minded in my experience.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    Eventually most people either give 10p up or change gyms if their coach is super closed minded in my experience.
    I wont be giving it up... what am I going to do, learn to smash-pass? LOL, now that would be funny. Fortunately this coach is not hostile about it. I knew what he thought already but he normally doesn't bring it up. It wasn't until my opponent asked him how to defend it and he had no idea that he started talking that way.

Honestly I think it was just some insecurity on the coaches part because of the fact that he has not idea about the system or how to defend it. Also this coach likes me quite a bit, so his opinions about rubberguard and my use of it don't seem to be affecting our relationship, so that's good.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    LOL, Vinny used it to score the two points that won him ADCC absolute, a lower belt tapping another low belt wont change anyone's mind if that wont. I've been there, achievement wont get you respect with some folks. Normally we would just disregard those guys, but its rough when they are your coach. Eventually most people either give 10p up or change gyms if their coach is super closed minded in my experience.
    Haha I didn't mean it like that, I'm not trying to sound like a rubber guard ambassador. I'm not talking about selling people on rubber guard as a whole, just on a student/teacher basis. I think the job of an instructor is to help his students find what works best for them and support them, and as a student I think that it was something I showed was worth while to develop for my own personal game. I didn't mean to come across that way.
    Last edited by Nick Paul; 12-14-2015 at 08:14 AM.
    The Name is Nick Paul