Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford

how will mma be different in 10-20 years?

mma has changed so much in this past 20 year span...im just wondering what evryone thinks mma will be like in the next 10-20 years...how many rounds will their be? will their be rounds? will their be an open weight division in the ufc? will the only signafacant pro company be ufc like for basketball theirs nba and only nba? what will the rules be like? ect ect?

Array

School
    Electric City MMA
    After the apocalypse (2012), weapons will be introduced and Krav Maga will be the next evolution of the sport.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    I see it progressing much like boxing. More than likely you will have to enter MMA as a youngster to be able to compete as an adult. A point sparring, amateur version of mma will be introduced into the olympics.

There will be more cross-promotional opportunities as top stars start jumping promotions for more money. Money will go up substantially for the fighters. In 10 years the 18 year old and 20 something year old fans will have the income to buy pay per views and better support the sport. Many 35+ folks consider it like cock fighting. Dana will be smart to tap and market to minority communities as they appear to support mma in higher concerntrations than the mainstream.

UFC Gyms will be like 24 hour fitnesses and may start fielding fight teams. It will be more like a MMA academy and have a ton of competition...they will be viewed as the blue bloods of mma.

I believe that Golden Boy or Don King or both will try to start a competing promotion with a big name star in the next 10 years that will actually hurt dana. Prime candidate might be Bones Jones, especially if he jumps to heavyweight and the heavyweight division matures

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Don King would be dead in 20 years.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Right now, to be the top 5 of any division, you have to have world class wrestling. As time goes on, the level of wrestling will continue to increase and you'll have to have world class wrestling just to break the top 25 of any division. I could see other skill sets potentially getting shut out of the top tier of competition if you don't have a lifetime of collegiate wrestling or MMA wrestling training under your belt.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    Don King would be dead in 20 years.
    I kind of took the question like during the next 20 years not exactly what will happen in the 20th year.

Array

School
    Triple Threat Combat Sports / Yamasaki Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy Delaware
    I think the level of fighter will grow by leaps and bounds. ...what I mean is, most fighters today have a "style" or a discipline they point to as their strength (ie Wrestling, MT, JJ, Boxing, etc..) and play to that strength...but have (by necessity) started to learn (and some very well) other disciplines to remain competitive. But they are still lacking in one aspect of the game for the most part in comparrision to their core art or discipline. Today, those that are most successful have brought their weak points up to their strengths.
    Right now...kids that are training (and will be competeing in 20 years)....are the first generation of TRUE MMA fighters...trained (from a very early age) with the mind set to be good and excel in all disciplines, not play catch up on one or the other. I dont think you will see (as much as you do now) Fighter A is a jj guy who has been working on his Boxing so he needs to get it to the ground...or fighter B is a striker but has no ground game so he needs to keep this one on the feet. I think that in 20 years the kids of today will be outstanding at every aspect of the fight and the sport will explode with world class talent

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Mr green hit it on the head.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Quote Originally Posted by James Davis View Post
    I kind of took the question like during the next 20 years not exactly what will happen in the 20th year.
    Oh its cool man, I was just hoping he would die over the next 20 years

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    Oh its cool man, I was just hoping he would die over the next 20 years
    roflmao!!!