Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Guerrero BJJ New Jersey

Advanced Triangle Practicioners

I had noticed this in first in the Mastering the RG book, and then in the first video on the Demian Maia highlight thread.

Triangles being finished without being completely perpendicular to your opponent. Maia was tapping another black belt with his leg locked over the shoulder, not over the neck.

Furthermore, the triangle victim's arm was not even pulled across their body yet the choke was still finished.

Why is this possible? And what are the implications?

Can you submit people at the highest level without pushing their arm across their body or locking your leg over their neck simply by having a good squeeze and pulling down on the head?

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Its all about the squeeze. Takes time to develop it, like flexibility if you dont have it naturally.

Array

School
    Guerrero BJJ New Jersey
    I'm getting pretty flexible haha, I can do full lotus now.

But with that good squeeze... can you completely bypass moving their arm across their body etc?

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    All about the squeeze.

Also take into account that some guys panic in chokes and just tap anyway even if they shouldn't I wouldn't expect someone at a high level to do that but sometimes guys fear it.......You see it a lot in MMA guys get a choke in and they just freeze up and stop trying to fight it off then tap before going out, I still don't' really understand why guys tap to chokes in competition makes sense in practice but not in comp I'll escape or I'll pass out.

But a triangle is primarily targeting the arteries on the sides of the neck so if you are good at squeezing your thighs in you could finish it without hitting it technically perfect.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Quote Originally Posted by OmyPlata View Post
    I'm getting pretty flexible haha, I can do full lotus now.

But with that good squeeze... can you completely bypass moving their arm across their body etc?
    If I get a triangle locked in, I don't need the arm across. That should be your goal with your squeeze. There's a guy in my gym who's been doing it for 6 months and has the most killer triangle I've ever been in, just because of his insane squeeze strength

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    First everyone is right about the squeeze. Second is the correct angle. Perfect example was Demian showing me to turn clockwise (walk your hands towards their legs) from the mounted triangle. My squeeze is very good though, curls are insane, but that is from working on it...

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    May I say that if the leg is crossed over the shoulder it is not the choke but the pain that brings the submission? I mean if the leg is not perpendicular, there is probably room to breathe and a bit blood to go to the brain i think.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Pain sometimes brings the submission but not often. If you have a triangle thats on with the correct angle it will work, but getting that angle is hard sometimes. Squeeze will help big time

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    The squeeze helps me lock in the perfect postion. I like hooking the leg if its there or just do the Omaha Twist I think is what they call it should help get the nasty angle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast