Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    But surviving by covering up, running or fighting defensively is what you do when you've almost had your head punched off. Could you call if smart tactics to trade punches with Maynard after getting rocked so badly ?

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    freddy i think gray should fight george sotoropilos next not ben henderson...

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Chavez View Post
    But surviving by covering up, running or fighting defensively is what you do when you've almost had your head punched off. Could you call if smart tactics to trade punches with Maynard after getting rocked so badly ?
    Sure, absolutely, it was a very smart tactics (instinct), and I give Franky HUGE props for the heart he showed in that fight. By playing defense, he was able to give himself time recover enough to give Gray the fight of his life in the next four rounds. But, at the end of the day, it is a (sport) fight and, in my opinion, you don't score points by playing good defense. Like Dana White said, "10-7's are a unicorn," so, realistically, 10-8 was the proper score. Honestly, if I was one of the three judges, I probably would have been too chicken to score it a '10-7' round because of the "unicorn factor," so I would have scored it a 10-8. Anyway, it is what it is. I thought the fight was awesome, way better than I had expected.

Does anybody know of an MMA fight where a round was scored 10-7? I'd like to see what an official '10-7' round looks like. I can't think of one off the dome.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    I think Nate Quarry got a 10-7 against a canadian . I forget who..He was on season 3 of tuf. I think if Frankie were on his back and still taking punches for the rest of round 1 then yes 10-7 is fair. But he wasn't so 10-8 was a better scoring.

Array

School
    NA
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Chavez View Post
    I think Nate Quarry got a 10-7 against a canadian . I forget who..He was on season 3 of tuf. I think if Frankie were on his back and still taking punches for the rest of round 1 then yes 10-7 is fair. But he wasn't so 10-8 was a better scoring.
    You must be thinking of endurance marathon runner Kalib Starnes:

From Wikipedia: "In his final UFC bout, he lost a unanimous decision to Nate Quarry at UFC 83 in Montreal Canada. Kalib spent the majority of the match circling, and trying to avoid fighting. The pro-Canadian crowd began cheering for the American, Quarry, and booing Starnes, the Canadian, loudly. Quarry even began mocking his opponent towards the end of the 3rd round by doing the 'Running Man' until the horn sounded. One judge scored the bout 30–24 in Quarry's favour, marking the second-largest margin of victory in UFC history."

30-24 is pretty bad.

Array

School
    Fighting Dragons Combat Sports & Behring Jiu Jitsu
    Not seeing why everyone on the internet flipping about the draw. I watched it with my dad (former fighter), Both my coach's (former fighter and currant fighter) 2 guys from my jiu jitsu school (both fighters) and my mom (only fight on record, was some drunk chick who backed into her porsche, than tried to drive away.....she won, by the way)lol. My point.... we all yelled Holy Crap, that was a draw, as soon as the fight was over. So we all agree with the draw call as well.

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Quote Originally Posted by miketubbs View Post
    stuffing takedowns does not score points. If he was DEFENDING the takedown that means he was on the defensive. For a takedown to be scored it has to be completed and actually do something, if the guy pops back up right away it's a moot takedown. Defending and/or getting back up right away doesn't give points.
    Hate to disagree with you, but a takedown scores anytime you successfully take your opponent down. If he is able to stop any control beyond the initial takedown, then he as just got good abilities in getting back up, but he still got took down and the mark goes in the column. Thus why wrestlers must compete in jj matches at compatible skill levels in years. Otherwise they would dominate beginner divisions by just scoring takedowns.

Array

School
    Iron Lion Jiu Jitsu/LA Boxing
    I think Edgar did enough to win. I was surprised and impressed he made it out of the 1st round. It does deserve another match though.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I scored it for Edgar, but very closely. Not unhappy about the draw, it was a great fight.

I scored it 48-46 for Gray.....But the rounds were close.

I was ok with the draw call too though.....But I wish they would just have Edgar and Pettis fight then give Gray the first shot at the winner of that fight.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast