Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krav Maga

Array

School
    Team Total Revolution (Future 10th Planet)

Krav Maga

What do you think of Krav Maga

Array

School
    Star jiu jitsu/ formerly of 10th planet sherman
    I think it's awesome!

Array

School
    10th Planet jiu jitsu Orange park
    It is great for street defense. Swift kick to the nuts and run lol.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    I keep wanting to see just one fight on You Tube where someone uses that style of self defense Ju Jitsu. You can find Brazilian Jiu Jitsu moves like takedowns and mount position in many street fights. We had a thread on this board recently with streets fights where people used Karate/TKD style high kicks. We've all seen street fights where someone showed boxing style punching technique.

But is there even one street situation on You Tube where someone executes a traditional Japanese Ju Jitsu or Krav Maga style self defense technique?

You can see cops using traditional jujitsu alot in there arrest techniques, the small joint locks, wrist locks and pain compliance moves. Krav Maga is kinda like MMA, its a mix of alot of things, including boxing, kickboxing and jujitsu. My personal opinion is that KM isnt alive enought to be as effective as some other styles, however I think their drills are really cool. I mean, you can drill how to do a move sequence over and over and over but without actually hitting, choking, or applying a submission againts a resisting opponenent, how do you know the moves will even work? The few dojo's I have visited practiced in street clothes and drilled in a actual training enviroment. People were carjacked, they went to actual alleys and did simulated muggings. I thought that was fun.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Krav Maga is reaction based fighting system specifically for defending yourself. It is one of those arts where your object is to destroy your attacker quickly and get the hell out. When you get to the higher levels it is all about maming, disabling, and killing your attacker. Was desgined for the Israeli Military for their troops as hand to hand, close quarters, and disarming. Krav Maga is very effective for people who do not fight. 100 miles an hour untill the attacker is down. Krav Maga practioners will junk shot you, scratch out your eyes, bite you, stab you will a stick, they dont care.

Array

School
    Jingy's Boxing Club
    I train in Traditional Jiujitsu and worked with some Krav guys its a watered down version of Aiki Jiu-jitsu.

Quote Originally Posted by josh passini View Post
    Krav Maga is reaction based fighting system specifically for defending yourself. It is one of those arts where your object is to destroy your attacker quickly and get the hell out. When you get to the higher levels it is all about maming, disabling, and killing your attacker. Was desgined for the Israeli Military for their troops as hand to hand, close quarters, and disarming. Krav Maga is very effective for people who do not fight. 100 miles an hour untill the attacker is down. Krav Maga practioners will junk shot you, scratch out your eyes, bite you, stab you will a stick, they dont care.
    Do you train KM? I still dont see the practicality of practicing maiming, disabling and killing attackers if you cant: maim, disable and kill attackers. I think ANY type of training is good for people that do not fight, IMO all traditional and contemporary martial arts will be extrememly effective against someone who doesnt know anything. It also begs the questions, what happens if scratches, eye gouges, stabs and dirty fighting techniques dont work or are countered and your left with a VERY angry and probably murderous bad guy? Also what if you dont legally need to maim, physically disable or kill a person? What if you get in a fight at Applebee's during a UFC fight with some drunk meathead, are you going to send him to the hospital? That situation will end with bad guy in recovery and you in JAIL. Im not trying to start a flame war, just debate :-)

IMO the modern forms of jiu jitsu are the best martial arts systems in the world. They allow you to regulate the amount of damage you do to a attacker, they can be modified for different situations, from teaching a asshole a lesson to fighting for your life. The basics dont require much physically, and you can train your reflexes by sparring at 100%. You can even do this on the receiving end, ever go to sleep via traingle choke? The move works. The techniques work for the best fighters in the world in the best shape in the world. They can also be applied without having to be in kickboxing shape, a old, out of shape person can break a arm as easily as BJ Penn.

Array

School
    Edmonton BJJ Club / Mundaruca BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikijiujitsu View Post
    I train in Traditional Jiujitsu and worked with some Krav guys its a watered down version of Aiki Jiu-jitsu.
    Maybe the Krav guys were full of shit. I don't see that much "aiki" in Krav Maga at all.
    Of course I'm no scientist so what do I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast