Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Good post Zach.

Quote Originally Posted by James Davis View Post
    yeah....no way he could be talking about anyone accept eddie...
    Uh yeah actually he could, what about the spider guard or the De La Riva guard, The "barbosa" guard, the 50/50, The Darce/Brabo choke, etc. etc. All of these names were made up from other people as well. No where in the video did he specifically call out Eddie or 10th Planet. You guys are all up in arms and getting defensive over nothing. Obviously he is referring to you people who are getting pissy over this, as Gracie haters because in a way you are. You think he is specifically referring to Eddie and 10th Planet when he said no such thing and you're getting your panties in a wad. There has been quite a few techniques/guards "invented" and named. Quit reading so much into petty things and if you think your system is better then put on your big boy undies and let your Jiu Jitsu do your talking on the mat at some comps.

Array

School
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kipness View Post
    Uh yeah actually he could, what about the spider guard or the De La Riva guard, The "barbosa" guard, the 50/50, The Darce/Brabo choke, etc. etc. All of these names were made up from other people as well. No where in the video did he specifically call out Eddie or 10th Planet. You guys are all up in arms and getting defensive over nothing. Obviously he is referring to you people who are getting pissy over this, as Gracie haters because in a way you are. You think he is specifically referring to Eddie and 10th Planet when he said no such thing and you're getting your panties in a wad. There has been quite a few techniques/guards "invented" and named. Quit reading so much into petty things and if you think your system is better then put on your big boy undies and let your Jiu Jitsu do your talking on the mat at some comps.
    It really doesn't matter who he is talking about; he's still wrong, and he's still saying things that are simply untrue. To think that the evolution of the art is over and that naming moves is bad is the silliest thing I've heard in a while. Names simply help people know exactly what position you are in when doing a certain movement. It isn't there to test your memory. That, and proof that the art is evolving is IN those new guard styles coming up and from new moves that came up like in 10th Planet JJ. The whole thing shows that evolution is constant. With what Royce is saying, it sounds like he would have Gracie JJ go the way of Kung Fu and Karate, and just age past usefulness.

Array

School
    Huntsville Jiu Jitsu
    I had a whole paragraph written but i was sure it would have started a fire, so i'll just say this.

Royce...

*BIIIIIIIG sigh*

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kipness View Post
    calm down cowboy...I love gracie jiu jitsu...I just was questioning the 10th planet hate

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    It really doesn't matter who he is talking about; he's still wrong, and he's still saying things that are simply untrue. To think that the evolution of the art is over and that naming moves is bad is the silliest thing I've heard in a while. Names simply help people know exactly what position you are in when doing a certain movement. It isn't there to test your memory. That, and proof that the art is evolving is IN those new guard styles coming up and from new moves that came up like in 10th Planet JJ. The whole thing shows that evolution is constant. With what Royce is saying, it sounds like he would have Gracie JJ go the way of Kung Fu and Karate, and just age past usefulness.
    and that's the point. No one is butt hurt about Royce having issues with innovation. That shit always gets solved on the mat anyway. However, when it comes to what Royce and Rener are doing with the REAL GRACIE JIU JITSU marketing and real self-defence stitch ee ation promotion ....I'm with Renzo..they appear to be trying to turn BJJ into Tae Kwon Do or Karate....

http://thefightworkspodcast.com/2009.../renzo-gracie/

See, this whole thing about the Real Jiu Jitsu and negativity about innovation is purely on the marketing tip. I don't even thing Royce has a problem with 10th planet...but if people start thinking their spot is the only REAL JIU JITSU then they have the ultimate marketing. I went to a couple of gracie spots and mentioned submission wrestling and 10th planet and was told that 10th planet wasn't real BJJ....I'm like, Eddie's a machado black belt..how can it not be real BJJ.

This is happening and as the popularity of BJJ grows we it is obvious that some have taking to talking shit about others for profit. It's just from my opinion and experience. I will never train at a place that shits on someone else's system or discourages cross training or rolling with other schools.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    It sounds like he is talking about Eddie but i think he is not. He is mixing the Gracie JJ haters with the people who want to roll using advanced showtime moves without perfecting the basics, talking down on both of them together.
    I did train under one of Royce's black belts before, almost all of us were white or very new blue belts and we drilled armbar, kimura, triangle, lapel choke, armlock, guard pass, get on your knees from side control, mount from side control and keep the mount day in day out, nothing else. They really stick to basics and favor of perfecting them before moving on to anything else.
    Again when Eddie finishes an armbar, he does not twist the arm in a way that has never been or seen before. He forces the elbow joint to bend backwards and gets the tap, just like GJJ does, which is the basics. How he gets there is his own style, which was dictated by and suited to his strength, stamina, size of his extremities and his overall body composition. He evolved them to a point where others can learn an adapt his style which is respectable and undeniable no matter how hard you try.
    On a different note, I do not agree with Royce on Gracie's the reason why everybody is feeding on this industry. Well wrestling, throws, guard, submissions...overall grappling existed before Helio Gracie was a vitamin C molecule in an orange prior his own father ate it and converted him to a sperm. Rorion created UFC as a marketing tool and he was not trying to open the eyes of the word to BJJ, he was not trying to teach this ultimate art to the weak and poor so they can defend themselves on the streets. He was trying to make money and they made a good amount of it. If you really look for people to thank to since the industry is so big and people can make a living off teaching jiu jitsu, go thank Dana White and Fertita brothers.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Great video. Some of the comments cause my heart feel sick though.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Phoenix
    I talked to Renato, and he said he was calling in "his guy" Rev. Jesse Jackson to settle this peacefully

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    Quote Originally Posted by john botello View Post
    I talked to Renato, and he said he was calling in "his guy" Rev. Jesse Jackson to settle this peacefully
    lol!! That Black Guy...That Jesse Jackson Guy...He's my guy!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast