Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aj camacho View Post
    he didn't slam religious people. He slammed people who faithfully follow religion without critically questioning it. If you just read a book and view it's ideals and rules as law, without coming to your own personal rational conclusions, then you are taking the easy way out.

agreed
    "If you believe, then you have already taken the first step towards your achievement."

Rickson Gracie

www.Primate-Fitness.com

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post

I don't want to bore you but that fact must permeate your viewpoint if you're going to be consistent. If you have freedom to live the way you want to, so do I. Which means I don't care if you're not cool if we expand. I'm not asking permission. Traditional BJJ isn't cool if 10th Planet expands. 10th Planet isn't asking permission. 10th planet doesn't care if you don't like it. Whatever belief set we're talking about isn't cool with any religion expanding. We aren't asking. And we're a bit confused about why you care.
    You cant use the expansion of 10th Planet as an analogy, because 10th Planet doesnt aim to wipe out other forms of grappling as it expands.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    To respond to AJ: Joe asserts that every religion is a road followed blindly (@ ~:35). Where I come from, that's a grave insult. He doesn't back it with evidence (which is not an appeal to reason but emotion) and he can't, he's never met me and he's evidently never talked with a religious person who wasn't retarded. I get that a lot. Unfortunately, some of the stupidest sheep do the most bleating...

Suffice it to say that by his presumable definition of 'religion', I'm a religious guy, and more than that, a teacher of other religious people. The study that goes into this is ridiculous, there's a reason we call it "theology."

I'll leave it there before I become more of a hate magnet then I've already made myself.

@AJ: We don't aim to wipe out other forms of religion. We believe that that is not only impossible / impractical but preordained to fail. Who is telling you this crap? Evidently, you're not checking it against the facts. And that's the whole point of this "reason" exercise right?
    Last edited by Joshua Jarboe; 09-02-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: conversation flow

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    He didn't slam religious people. He slammed people who faithfully follow religion without critically questioning it. If you just read a book and view it's ideals and rules as law, without coming to your own personal rational conclusions, then you are taking the easy way out.
    Nicely put. I think anyone who is on one side of the fence or the other and defends it without having educated themselves is ignorant and asking for trouble. Also a majority of the reasons why huge arguements start, most people just take a statement out of context.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    @Nate: Yeah, I hear you. But so far, this has been pretty reasonable, just point and counterpoint.

But I think you'd be taking me very much in context were I to hypothetically say "That's what grappling is, it's a bunch of sweaty guys hugging each other, laying on each other, rolling around on the floor with each other." No it's not. It's much, much more than that.

That's what I'm saying.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I don't think the problem is so much religion, as it is stupid and selfish people inside the given religions. Any adult who follows anything just because someone else tells them to is making some crucial mistakes with their life. You have to find your own path, and you have to invest yourself in growth and knowledge within that particular path. When you find your views or concepts to be lacking or incomplete, you modify and grow and move forward.

I myself am a believer in God. I have learned over the course of time that I don't necessarily subscribe to a lot of the things that our religion teaches and even think that some of those things can be detrimental. But, I appreciate the spirit with which most of those things are put forth, and that makes a big difference to me. If someone has a good attitude and is trying to do what they think is the right thing, what else can you ask from a person? It's the morons that won't think for themselves, refuse to learn beyond what they are told, and act selfishly and from shady motives that give religion the bad name. I refuse to associate myself with people like this, even though many think that all people who seek God automatically fall into that category.

Sorry for the rant.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    "If someone has a good attitude and is trying to do what they think is the right thing, what else can you ask from a person?"

Well said.
    Last edited by Joshua Jarboe; 09-02-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: elaborating

Yeah I know man, I meant it as more of a forum/thread compliment than anything, I didnt specify, my bad.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Hollyfield View Post
    Yeah I know man, I meant it as more of a forum/thread compliment than anything, I didnt specify, my bad.
    No worries, we're good.

The problem I have with Religion is that the people are so selfish. Most of my friends are Christian (As are most Southeastern US people) and thats not a problem but they tend to every now and then try their preaching stories. Why would I believe the Christians and not some other Religion? Why not Islam? Why not Mormonism? Why not eastern Religions? What makes Christianity so special that my friends are right and everybody else in the world is wrong? Not only that the people inside Christianity can't even agree on the correct doctrine. Thats why there is so many denominations. Its selfish of my friends to say the Baptist way is the Correct way or the Methodist way or Church of Christ way. Once maybe they figure it out amongst themselves I'll take it more serious but for now I'm just gonna treat all Religion as the same.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast