Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MO
    All of you should go on the cruise next summer so we can get wasted and argue religion for a week...which is really how I spent my free time when I was in Iraq.

Kevin congrats on changing your life, not just the weight but your life. I was 267 and felt like shit till I decided to finally do something about it. 6 months of Jiu Jitsu, water, protein and im now at 226. I cant wait to see were I am 6 months from now.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdeye View Post
    Joe is cerebral as fuck, but also hypercritical as fuck. I agree 100% that no one can know anything, so why does he bash on one group of dummies that think they know, but leaves the other equally dumb group alone?
    I thought he made a blanket statement on religion. Who did he leave out?

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Leavelle View Post
    All of you should go on the cruise next summer so we can get wasted and argue religion for a week...which is really how I spent my free time when I was in Iraq.

Kevin congrats on changing your life, not just the weight but your life. I was 267 and felt like shit till I decided to finally do something about it. 6 months of Jiu Jitsu, water, protein and im now at 226. I cant wait to see were I am 6 months from now.
    That sounds like fun. No tengo denero.

The rest of your response kind of answers a question of mine. I'm 205 when I should be 155, down 10 from eating smarter (less fake crap, more vegetables) and playing ping pong (seriously, that's not a huge commitment right?). I want to get back into martial arts somewhere but don't know where to start. Jujutsu? Ninjutsu? MMA? Krav Maga? And I can't help but ask myself: is it stupid to start shelling out a lot of cash to get into a sport before getting into shape? Or is it smart to use the sport to get into shape? That's one of the questions I'm here to answer.

I'm pondering taking the BJJ path and using that as a foundation for MMA. Not necessarily so I can compete but because it's beautiful, it's something I want to be a part of. Sitting on the couch drinking beer and watching phenomenal athletes create something that I want to create but haven't found time and money for is ....damning.

Is this jujutsu foundation path a smart path? Or a stupid path? For me.

@AJ: He left out all the angry atheists and agnostics who don't know jack about Science and don't know whether the science they're being fed is right or not. IMO, when that kind of person has a lot to say about stupid religious people, it can be just like that armchair MMA fan watching the UFC and going "Man, that guy is retarded. I could totally do better." No you can't. That's why you're on the couch drinking beer and not in the cage earning cash.

I haven't met a single evolutionary agnostic or atheist that I couldn't roll with. And most of them know jack about their own belief system. It's something they heard in school. It is something that was literally fed to them by the government. And they swallow it hook line and sinker.
    Last edited by Joshua Jarboe; 09-02-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Emphasis, conversation flow

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MO
    Josh, I think the biggest challenge for me was just making the time and going for it. I knew I wanted to do Jiu Jitsu but wasnt shure were to start. I went and talked to a few instructors in the area, mostly traditonal gi schools and it really wasnt for me. Then I went and talked to Brian Stuebner here in Springfield. Ive been hooked on 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu ever since.

As for the second part of your question, I think for me I needed Jiu Jitsu to get me motivated to get in shape. 6 months ago at 267 pounds I went to my first class and almost passed out. I rolled for all of 30 seconds and thought I was going to die. Not to mention that some 17 year old kid tapped me out like 4 times in that 30 seconds. Tuesday morning was the start of my 6 month mark and at my current weight of 226 pounds I rolled for 2 five minute rounds and felt great afterwords. Im taking my first yoga class this afternoon and Im really excited. Im just taking things slow and see were they go.

As for the cost at 75 bucks a month here in MO I think it breaks down to like 9 bucks a class, even less then that if you can make to to more the 2 classes week.

I just wish that 17 year old kid would come back to class so I can repay him for the beating he gave me 6 months ago...that would be fucking EPIC.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    $75 per month is so much money for me! I'm a contractor at Microsoft, I don't make that much dough. But I know where this conversation goes: no excuses. So I'll skip it and say that my career should be looking up soon (interviewed for a much better job on Tuesday) and maybe money won't be so tight. Jujutsu has to be way better than riding a bicycle or running on a treadmill....

Thanks for your advice Chris.

Edit: I'm not sure I'm going to be able to find a no-gi school around here and I doubt they'll let me experiment with 10th planet stuff. Traditional martial artists can be really.......orthodox.

I can't drive to Vancouver twice a week, my wife will kill me.
    Last edited by Joshua Jarboe; 09-02-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: a desire to edit

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Jiu-Jitsu si the ultimate fat burner. Learning in the Gi is how most of us started and will not hurt you starting out there. The important part is to get started. I used to live in Wa. on Mt. Raineer in 1980. That place is beautiful! Get rolling!!!

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Yes sir!

But seriously, Ivan Salaverry's Seattle MMA gym is probably 30 minutes away as is Matt Hume's Kirkland MMA gym...so it's not an easy decision!

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Flip a coin, they are both good choices. Or ask around on here or the UG for anyone elses experience at either place.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Sorry to be ignorant: UG?

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    www.mma.tv
    the Under Ground
    No prob!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast