Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do U prepare for your 1st Grappling Tournament?

I signed up for my 1st Grappling Tournament. I've been doing quite a bit of flow drills n going over worse case scenarios, escapes, etc. but still feels like something is missing. Any advice?

Array

School
    N/A
    Cardio, very high intensity cardio.

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox
    I really like circuit training. 10 1 minute stations, 15 rest between each station, 2 minutes rest between each round.

Do you have a game plan yet? Are you going to pull guard or have you been working on your take downs? The best advice I can give is relax and play your game. Don't worry about points too much, just focus what you need to do in the position you're in. No matter how well you prepare your first tournament is a pretty crazy experience, an adrenaline dump and butterflies at the same time is intense. I only remember flashes of my first tournament.

Also a few days away from your tournament you may get some pre competition jitters. Whenever I start to feel nervous about it I just visualize the match and everything I do works. I go for the double, they can't stop it, I pass their guard easily, etc. This has helped me relax quite a bit.

Array

School
    none
    hell yea cardio, if its ur 1st tourney ur overall game is basically be what it is but if u wanna avoid losing cuz ur tired get that shape up. Positional control is also gonna be important, make sure you can solidify positions especially the dominant ones. B)

Array

School
    none
    ey griffin i like ur advice haha picture you cant be stopped!!!!!!

Array

School
    Serra BJJ
    Lots of wrestling, wrestling is gonna keep u confidant from foot to floor, lots of Jiu jitsu, diet right. Like everyone else said, cardio, and mixing up the cardio is good to keep you interested in preparing.

game plan.. are you shooting for a takedown or are you pulling guard.. that will make a world of difference in your first tourn.. will help you relax.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Heres a link to the thread that contains a article series I did for 10th Planet Watch, it should help:

http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...light=equation
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Stolfi View Post
    Lots of wrestling, wrestling is gonna keep u confidant from foot to floor, lots of Jiu jitsu, diet right. Like everyone else said, cardio, and mixing up the cardio is good to keep you interested in preparing.
    Yeah man, wrestling was my weak point in my first tournament and once I had improved it, my game got wayyyy better. Dictate where the match goes

Thanks for the advice. As far as a game plan, I'm probably gone shoot in for a dbl leg n go from there. I've been working on my top game as well as pulling guard and working my rubber guard. I actually started the whole visualization thing today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast