Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black-Rain-Ninja View Post
    I think they should get over it and just fight like Bas said avoid them before the fight have a beer after its over.
    Exactly. There you go. A pro fighter said it. In the end it's preference. Some people can't differentiate. Me personally, I would never fight my friends over a personal beef. But if it's a sport, I don't see anything wrong. If I whoop his ass, I'll give him a hug after, buy him a beer and chill.. We'll watch the fight and we can talk through what he did wrong. If he whoops my ass, then I'll buy him a beer and compliment him on how good he is. If it's a good back and forth fight, it'll bring us closer and we'll have an amazing memory.

IDK, maybe it's because I've full blown fist fought family members before that I realize a fight is just a fight. I've become friends with guys that I've fought in street fights. But I can understand how other people feel like fighting is only for people who aren't friends. It's all about perspective and neither perspective is wrong. Me and my boys grew up fighting on the street. We know how to differentiate fighting because of beef and fighting as a competitive sport. Other people can't make that distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by dukecitymenace View Post
    some guys just dont get that you can be friends afterwards and thats all that really matters.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    I think, till you walk a mile in the shoes of the people you are making declarations about, you should withold these declarations. TUF isnt a "team" guys are all there for themselves, and everyone knows it from day one. Being on a team training with guys is completely, utterly different. Ever notice EVERY SINGLE actual fighter for the most part says they wont fight the guys they train with day in and day out, and only some fans (the ones who dont train consistently oddly enough), media, and Promoters are the only folks clamoring for people to "act professional"? That should tell you all you need to know.
    Bas Ruttan is a former pro fighter. But again, I feel your perspective. I see guys with deep bonds like the Nog bros, the Cesar Gracie fam, chute boxe....I would understand them not wanting to fight eachother. But a lot of the dudes from other teams....they're not really that close.

But like I mentioned before, it's about perspective. I wouldn't mind fighting my best friend for a championship. I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it. But if it's for a title, that means we're both the best. And I'm ok with engaging in a competition to see who's best. If I'm at the top like that, my livelihood isn't in jeapordy. It's a once in a lifetime thing. I think it would be a great story to tell our kids when we're old. It's all about perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamGunter View Post
    I'd like to apologize for my outburst. I got way to worked up over that comment. and I'm sorry. I understand what stlnl is saying, that there is a profound bond between guys who train together. that a fight could destroy. I just don't have that conflict yet. Btw G-13 is da shhhhhiiiittttttt!!!!!!!
    No need to apologize, When we read something on the internet, without tone of voice and without the way we would say it in a conversation, it tends to look, alot more aggressive/negative/adversarial than it is. I tend to be direct (in conversation as well, but with folks you know, and can hear their voice, it comes off different) and that isnt always the best way to do things. I also understand where it looks like I am just running your opinion down, which isnt exactly my intent, at all.

Also, honestly this is only really becoming a topic because IMO, Jackson did a good deal of manipulating and side ways talking to guys to get a guy who was going to be a contender to come to his camp. What Jackson has done, regarding his fighters makes me raise my eyebrows. First Diego, then Rashad. The guy makes me wonder.

Array

School
    The Hurt Factory
    I asked, because I wanted to know just how much actual experience you have regarding the whole situation. So in short, not had a fight, and very short time with one team/camp? Thus I can see where you might feel no problems with fighting someone you train with. Once you have a few fight camps, train with and trust more of the guys you are with, your opinon may change.

Also, it was 6 months ago you were talking about looking for a gym, thus I have no idea regarding where you have, or have not been, I can only go by what you say here. If I made you feel defensive, its not the intent, what is my intent is to try to see where folk's opinions are coming from, as the basis for forming an opinion lends value to it. I said it once, for the most part its fans and promoters calling for training partners/team mates to fight, not so much guys who fight.
    word I hear ya 6 months ago I was thinking of leaving where I had gone after lynchburg 10thp folded I'm still there, if you remember that discussion I was in a yr contract. So in short phases like So in short really are detremental to a peaceful exchange of thoughts and opinions.

Array

School
    The Hurt Factory
    Also, honestly this is only really becoming a topic because IMO, Jackson did a good deal of manipulating and side ways talking to guys to get a guy who was going to be a contender to come to his camp. What Jackson has done, regarding his fighters makes me raise my eyebrows. First Diego, then Rashad. The guy makes me wonder.
    Agreed and no I'm not dick riding cuz i forgot to smoke before getting on the forum today! lol

Array

School
    Jones grew up fighting his brothers so he knows how to differentiate fighting for sport and fighting over anger. I think that's one of the things that makes him so good. But whatever. Jones only said he wouldn't fight teammates because that's what he was told to say. He was on ESPN and he was asked, WHILE RASHAD WAS THERE! and his body language and tone suggested that he'd be open to it. But then Rashad kinda cut him off and was like "oh no.....we're team mates...we'd never fight." But Jones only hypocrisy is that he didn't man up and say it from jump. But I always knew that Jones would fight anyone. IDK what Jackson had to do with it. But Jones was always down to fight Rashad.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Jones grew up fighting his brothers so he knows how to differentiate fighting for sport and fighting over anger. I think that's one of the things that makes him so good. But whatever. Jones only said he wouldn't fight teammates because that's what he was told to say. He was on ESPN and he was asked, WHILE RASHAD WAS THERE! and his body language and tone suggested that he'd be open to it. But then Rashad kinda cut him off and was like "oh no.....we're team mates...we'd never fight." But Jones only hypocrisy is that he didn't man up and say it from jump. But I always knew that Jones would fight anyone. IDK what Jackson had to do with it. But Jones was always down to fight Rashad.
    You do realize, Jackson brought Jones to his camp under the fib he would never fight any of his other guys, right? It really doesnt matter whether Jones was willing to fight Rashad (and of course, after sliding into his camp, and training with him and LEARNING from him he is even more willing to fight him now) what does matter is he came in with the understanding, from day one, the guys there DO NOT FIGHT each other. Rashad, and Jardine didnt want Jones there, sort of like how Diego didnt want GSP there, because they felt it was inevitable that at least one of them would be fighting Jones. Jackson, assured everyone that this could never happen under any circumstances. Yet here we are...........

Array

School
    You do realize, Jackson brought Jones to his camp under the fib he would never fight any of his other guys, right? It really doesnt matter whether Jones was willing to fight Rashad (and of course, after sliding into his camp, and training with him and LEARNING from him he is even more willing to fight him now) what does matter is he came in with the understanding, from day one, the guys there DO NOT FIGHT each other. Rashad, and Jardine didnt want Jones there, sort of like how Diego didnt want GSP there, because they felt it was inevitable that at least one of them would be fighting Jones. Jackson, assured everyone that this could never happen under any circumstances. Yet here we are...........
    True. I see your point. On my end, I don't feel like Jones or Jackson messed up. In the end, this is still a business. Jackson sees a guy who could become champ. He's not supposed to recruit him because other guys say no? It doens't make sense to say, no cuz I'll end up fighting him. If that's the case, you can never recruit anyone! Or on the other end you're saying 1 of 2 things. Either, he'll never be a threat so send him in (that's insulting.) Or, no that guy's too good, and he might end up being champ (cowardly.) I think Jackson did the right thing bringing in GSP and Jones. And he was right. They both had what it took to become champs.

Now Jones....Jones made an agreement to not fight team mates. OK. And he never expressed a desire to fight them. And he wasn't going to fight them. But when pressed, he was honest and said that he had no problem with it. Now saying "I'd fight my friend if it came down to it" is veeeeeeery different from saying "I WANT to fight my friend." He didn't say he wanted to fight Rashad. Only that he'd fight him if he had no choice. I feel like it was Rashad who was the sensitive baby who took it to heart.

Jones didn't mean anything by it. And Jones didn't make Rashad take the fight. Jackson didn't make Rashad leave either. Rashad chose to. He's the one who reneged and went back on his word. He's the one who said, if Jones wins, he'll be OK with that. Why the sudden change? Because Jones has an opinion? To me the one who isn't true to his own convictions is Rashad.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    True. I see your point. On my end, I don't feel like Jones or Jackson messed up. In the end, this is still a business. Jackson sees a guy who could become champ. He's not supposed to recruit him because other guys say no? It doens't make sense to say, no cuz I'll end up fighting him. If that's the case, you can never recruit anyone! Or on the other end you're saying 1 of 2 things. Either, he'll never be a threat so send him in (that's insulting.) Or, no that guy's too good, and he might end up being champ (cowardly.) I think Jackson did the right thing bringing in GSP and Jones. And he was right. They both had what it took to become champs.

Now Jones....Jones made an agreement to not fight team mates. OK. And he never expressed a desire to fight them. And he wasn't going to fight them. But when pressed, he was honest and said that he had no problem with it. Now saying "I'd fight my friend if it came down to it" is veeeeeeery different from saying "I WANT to fight my friend." He didn't say he wanted to fight Rashad. Only that he'd fight him if he had no choice. I feel like it was Rashad who was the sensitive baby who took it to heart.

Jones didn't mean anything by it. And Jones didn't make Rashad take the fight. Jackson didn't make Rashad leave either. Rashad chose to. He's the one who reneged and went back on his word. He's the one who said, if Jones wins, he'll be OK with that. Why the sudden change? Because Jones has an opinion? To me the one who isn't true to his own convictions is Rashad.
    Run a camp, and sell the guys out who trust you completely a few times, and see how many folks you have left there.........You really, really dont see the point. It is a business, but it is one built on trust, and if a fighter cant trust his trainer (in this case, he cant for sure) why on earth would he stay with him? Its not about not ever recruiting anyone, its about STAYING LOYAL TO THE PEOPLE WHO TRUST YOU AND IN MANY WAYS HAVE MADE YOU AS MUCH AS YOU MADE THEM. If you cant see that, we are never going to agree. Had Jones come up in the camp its one thing, for Jackson to go recruiting him, after most of his skills/ability was developed JUST to say he trained a champ (when it was more along the lines he simply put an edge on an already existing sword, rather than forged a weapon) at the expense of his guys who have been with him a long time........

If you really think this is how a gym/fight trainer should operate/"its a business" I hope you never decide to train people. It is underhanded, and in a big way.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    How many fights have you trained for, and fought in, yourself? Football games, tennis matches, grappling matches are NOT PRIZE FIGHTING. When you fight a friend, only two things can happen, he either hurts your career/livelihood, or you hurt his. I have yet to see a pro, who has an established past with a good gym (as in he stays and trains with a team for a good long while) say he would fight his team mates. Sure gym hoppers will, but most of the guys who hop gyms have issues past fighting anyway.
    I trained for 0 fights in my life. But I still think if you are expecting to make $150,000 to $500,000 per fight, have people buy your t-shirts, buy your payper views be your fan and make you famous, while a promoter is giving you all this chance, I think it is your obligation to your fans and the promoter to fight anyone who is regarded to be a challenge to you. I am not saying beat your brother to a pulp for $300 on a local show.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast