Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic TKD

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    In the TV show fight science they compared a tkd round kick with a muay thai fighter and the tkd kick generated almost double that of the muay thai kick and about 50 miles an hour faster attributing the technique as the difference. Check it and see for yourself,

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    "a Muay Thai fighter"

I won't argue with you on what makes the most power. The Muay Thai kick has evolved for practicality. It always lands. You hit something and you never leave your fighting stance. You can throw it moving forward or backward. Throw it in the middle of combinations, throw multiples. It strikes at an angle that gives you more chance of sneaking through a check and will produce enough power to lift a man off the ground or break an arm.
    Last edited by Tim Elliott; 11-09-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elliott View Post
    I wish I had better internet. I would post Yodsankalai videos. In my humble opionion, he has the most devastating kick in fighting. He turns the foot slightly, but he doesnt turn the heel towards the target or roll his hip over. He just throws it. Brutally, and he doesnt give a shit what he hits with it. No matter where it lands, its a potential fight finisher. If someone had a kick like that in MMA it would be very interesting. You dont see people use an arm kick very often, but the arm is a great target. Hes my favourite fighter by miles.

A persons kick is specific to them to some degree. All techniques have a lot of play in them to allow for different physical attributes.

One thing with the Thai kick is that you can walk and kick.
    Isnt he the Thai guy who was on the same Contender show with John Wayne par? If so, I agree his kick is devastating, but I saw him turning the hip over alot. Granted he didnt in the first round, but I watched him literally destroy that poor Aussie's arm he was fighting just kicking him in the arm over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    In the TV show fight science they compared a tkd round kick with a muay thai fighter and the tkd kick generated almost double that of the muay thai kick and about 50 miles an hour faster attributing the technique as the difference. Check it and see for yourself,
    Thats pretty interesting, since when Bas Rutten was on there and hit that dummy with his round kick, the guys went nuts about how it was hands down, by far, the hardest kick they had registered on there.

But its here nor there, As I would put fight science right behind a ouija board for getting any sort of real answers. I can only go by what I have seen over the years with good people doing it both ways, and TV shows that flat out use junk science for oohs and ahhhs.....dont really mean a thing.

I am with Tim, not going to argue it.

Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    yes and its a telegraph for someone who understands range and distances. the power generated here is what we call in kenpo, back up mass, where his forward momentum is helping to generate power. his hips open in the beginning and close on the end of his kick. he doesnt pivot on the front ball opening his hips through the kick, thus actually losing power by not utilizing his full range of motion. and yes this is very popular with dutch style fighters who got their roots front french savat fighters. real muay thai fighters dont step this way before throwing their back leg round kicks, choosing speed momentum as their power.
    Uhh, he isnt trying to kick hard.........

But as to why its big with the dutch, has alot less to do with Savate, and alot more to do with the fact they put the kick behind a punch combination, using the punches for distance and damage and to hide any tegraphs.

Array

School
    McMahon BJJ
    Tae kwon Joe!
    I feel it has to do with the fighter and how effective he is at the techniques that he trains. Put me in a grappling match against a sumo and if he got on top I would be a horrible representation of jiu-jitsu and it's philosophy of the little guy able to beat the big guy, but put marcello garcia against the same dude and it just might make the Pope invest in a rashguard. I feel it could work like that with strikers too.

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    You do turn the hip, just not right over. Just enough to turn the leg in.

I would word it as JWP happened to be in the same contender as Yodsaenklai. Yodsaenklai is currently the absolute pinacle of his weight division in Muay Thai. He is Lumpinee champ several times over. Supposedly JWP just beat him on points in Melbourne but I couldn't go and have yet to see the fight. Find it hard to believe JWP got that much better as to be in Yods league. Might be to do with where the fight was, but we will see. I wouldn't like to be JWP in the rematch.

In straight standup, Several kilos heavier than he walks around at, Yodsaenklai is the absolute baddest guy alive. Best standup fighter in the world. There are others, but Yodsaenklai is pretty amazing.
    Last edited by Tim Elliott; 11-09-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Oh I agree he is great. But he was also very complimentary of JWP on that show. I remember JWP the best since he seemed to be in just about every fighter's sights, and got alot of camera time.

But I have never seen anyone train to turn a body kick all the way over in any event. The only time I see guys push turning over is when you have a leg kick on an off balanced/retreating/hurt opponent. But never on a body kick. Either way, I think it has alot more to do with the fact some guys have great power with a kick that intentionally limits power to a degree for speed/practicality. When you are yod, you break people with your weak shots anyway.....so why go all out?

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnaud Arross View Post
    Tae kwon Joe!
    I feel it has to do with the fighter and how effective he is at the techniques that he trains. Put me in a grappling match against a sumo and if he got on top I would be a horrible representation of jiu-jitsu and it's philosophy of the little guy able to beat the big guy, but put marcello garcia against the same dude and it just might make the Pope invest in a rashguard. I feel it could work like that with strikers too.
    Agreed, but since the argument started because I merely pointed out bad form for a precursor to telegraphed moves, some took to proving that muay thai was better than tkd. My point was that traditional tkd and those who are taught technical tkd have devastating kicks when they want to, but as seen on this thread, sense tkd is primarily performed in control sparring matches where speed and technique are put first, their power is sometimes misleading to those who have never trained it. While muay thai is an all out sport where power is expected and often exhibited, fans of muay thai will claim it to be more powerful. And evidently, some of these guys haven't been watching tkdjoe on Mts videos to understand the power behind the sport.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast