Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic TKD

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    The first thing that was different is that the kick started from the back foot driving into the ground like a sprinter driving off the blocks instead of using your quads to pull the knee up to kick. Next the knee comes straight up like a front kick and only turns over at the end as the kick lands. The upper body and the hip of the kicking leg go into the kick so that your whole body weight goes into the kick instead of the kick going forward and the arm twisting back. The support leg should not be perpendicular to the ground when you land the kick, it should be angled toward the opponent. The hip is fully extended and the target of the kick should actually be a foot beyond the surface of the target so that the kick penetrates instead of just slapping the surface. The pivot of the front foot was to the point that the heel was facing the opponent and the toes the opposite direction. Once you have all the technical aspects down then the key was to be completely relaxed through out the kick. After the initial explosion off the back leg you should be completely relaxed and let the technique produce the power.
    forgot to say instead of ....

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    The first thing that was different is that the kick started from the back foot driving into the ground like a sprinter driving off the blocks using your quads to pull the knee up to kick. Next the knee comes straight up like a front kick and only turns over at the end as the kick lands. The upper body and the hip of the kicking leg go into the kick so that your whole body weight goes into the kick instead of the kick going forward and the arm twisting back. The support leg should not be perpendicular to the ground when you land the kick, it should be angled toward the opponent. The hip is fully extended and the target of the kick should actually be a foot beyond the surface of the target so that the kick penetrates instead of just slapping the surface. The pivot of the front foot was to the point that the heel was facing the opponent and the toes the opposite direction. Once you have all the technical aspects down then the key was to be completely relaxed through out the kick. After the initial explosion off the back leg you should be completely relaxed and let the technique produce the power.
    thus, a perfectly executed back leg round kick with full power. and I think that tim from austraila mentioned this in one of his quotes also. alot of so-called muay thai guys start with that opening step and raise their leg behind them cocked at a 45 and rotate around with the back leg leading the rotation, which actually decreases the hip pop and decreases the power, (kinda like a ballerina doing a perioette, simply spining into their kick, intead of winding into their kick by fully utilizing their hip pop. same as when a guy throws a hook punch but never pivots his feet. Thank you Jason for understanding exactly what it was that I was talking about and being able to put it into words. ( Im from the south and we aint too smart, lol)

The first thing that was different is that the kick started from the back foot driving into the ground like a sprinter driving off the blocks using your quads to pull the knee up to kick. Next the knee comes straight up like a front kick and only turns over at the end as the kick lands. The upper body and the hip of the kicking leg go into the kick so that your whole body weight goes into the kick instead of the kick going forward and the arm twisting back. The support leg should not be perpendicular to the ground when you land the kick, it should be angled toward the opponent. The hip is fully extended and the target of the kick should actually be a foot beyond the surface of the target so that the kick penetrates instead of just slapping the surface. The pivot of the front foot was to the point that the heel was facing the opponent and the toes the opposite direction. Once you have all the technical aspects down then the key was to be completely relaxed through out the kick. After the initial explosion off the back leg you should be completely relaxed and let the technique produce the power.
    Exactly the way I was taught to throw a round kick, and pretty much what I am talking about when I say a TKD style round kick.

Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    thus, a perfectly executed back leg round kick with full power. and I think that tim from austraila mentioned this in one of his quotes also. alot of so-called muay thai guys start with that opening step and raise their leg behind them cocked at a 45 and rotate around with the back leg leading the rotation, which actually decreases the hip pop and decreases the power, (kinda like a ballerina doing a perioette, simply spining into their kick, intead of winding into their kick by fully utilizing their hip pop. same as when a guy throws a hook punch but never pivots his feet. Thank you Jason for understanding exactly what it was that I was talking about and being able to put it into words. ( Im from the south and we aint too smart, lol)
    Never seen a single person trained with a decent Kickboxer that emphasises leg kick/hitting with the shin (dutch or thai) do this.

However, I have seen a few trained from youtube..........who are another story.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    Never seen a single person trained with a decent Kickboxer that emphasises leg kick/hitting with the shin (dutch or thai) do this.
    Kicking the legs is different than kicking to the body or head. I would agree that MT has better technique for leg kicks.

Kicking the legs is different than kicking to the body or head. I would agree that MT has better technique for leg kicks.
    Wasnt talking about what you posted, was referring to Frank's description of the things he sees with the would be leg kick dudes.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    Wasnt talking about what you posted, was referring to Frank's description of the things he sees with the would be leg kick dudes.
    I would still agree that the technique in MT is better for kicking the legs than the kick I described which is for body/head kicks.

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    I would still agree that the technique in MT is better for kicking the legs than the kick I described which is for body/head kicks.
    Which is what I said about three post back

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    Which is what I said about three post back
    The we both agree

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast