Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic TKD

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    For the record I never based any power theories on videos. Rather I based them on training Karate (with a former PKA kickboxer, who of course believed in hitting hard) and stayed with it for years (about 5) and then switched over and saw a very noticable increase in power once I learned the new way to kick.

So any opinion I have, is based on a long vigorous exposure to BOTH ways of doing it.
    dude, Ive trained with some of the best fighters in the world in kickboxing, dail frye former world lightweight champion, dennis weaver former us middleweight champion, rick rufus former world champion, and probably the most unrecognized fighter in the world, joe lewis former middleweight and 5 time heavyweight champion, and all of those guys have deep tkd backgrounds. the smallest of all, dale frye broke three of my ribs sparring with a jump spinning back kick. power is defined by technique, and I'm just saying that tkd has some of the best kicking techniques in the martial arts world

You said, a TKD round kick was more powerful than a MT round kick, that is where I disagree. At what point were we discussing spinning back kicks? No argument from me that its the most powerful kick........but that doesnt have much to do with what we were discussing earlier, does it?

Array

School
    You said, a TKD round kick was more powerful than a MT round kick, that is where I disagree. At what point were we discussing spinning back kicks? No argument from me that its the most powerful kick........but that doesnt have much to do with what we were discussing earlier, does it?
    wasnt refering to the kick but the technique that tkd offers and how much real power is there. rather than argue the point, just try this. practice a traditional tkd round kick bout a thousand times until you are executing it flawlessly and then get back to me. I think you will find that your tkd kick has more power than you thought and your speed will allow you to deliver it with devastating results all the while not telegraphing your intentions which is what my original comment was in the start of all this. that steppin and turning your foot out as alistar did in the video telegraphs to anyone with any sort of standup experience whereas when done correctly as in tkd, a round kick shouldnt be seen until it is too late to do anything about it. and someone on here even said that proper muay thai roundhouse starts and finishes in the same stance which you wont be able to do if you step turn than throw every thing you have into your kick. power first usually means sloppy technique and slower speed whereas proper technique and speed always means power.

I dont need to get back to you, have done well over 1k Tkd (karate) style round kicks, and the same the other way. Like I said, I know which is more powerful. Was my only pt.

as for Overeem, the guy spends months on end for the past 10 years in Thailand....pretty sure he knows how to throw the kick when he wants to land it. I dont for a second think he was throwing that kick in any manner other than half heartedly, do you?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    steppin and turning your foot out as alistar did in the video telegraphs to anyone with any sort of standup experience whereas when done correctly as in tkd, a round kick shouldnt be seen until it is too late to do anything about it. and someone on here even said that proper muay thai roundhouse starts and finishes in the same stance which you wont be able to do if you step turn than throw every thing you have into your kick. power first usually means sloppy technique and slower speed whereas proper technique and speed always means power.
    Agree 100%. Stepping into the kick adds power, no question. But if you cannot land the kick because it was telegraphed it doesn't matter how much power the kick has.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    Agree 100%. Stepping into the kick adds power, no question. But if you cannot land the kick because it was telegraphed it doesn't matter how much power the kick has.
    thank you jason for getting it, can you explain it to stlnl

Again though, for one, Overeem was goofing around. The dutch to like to throw a low kick like that though (but they rotate on ball of the foot and follow through after the step) BUT THE LAND A PUNCH FIRST. This, is pretty big with Dutch style kickboxing (punch first to set up kicks) and you can think you will make Overeem miss all day, but he sure hits alot of guys with it.........

Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    thank you jason for getting it, can you explain it to stlnl
    Again, read what I said. The only guys who throw a kick like Overreem did in the pic (only when they do a real one, not one goofing around with a child) do so after landing a punch first. Sort of doesnt matter how telegraphed the foot is, if the guy you are kicking is seeing stars.............

Array

School
    Again, read what I said. The only guys who throw a kick like Overreem did in the pic (only when they do a real one, not one goofing around with a child) do so after landing a punch first. Sort of doesnt matter how telegraphed the foot is, if the guy you are kicking is seeing stars.............
    pointless to try and explain my original point. I understand that alistar was goofing off, I understand that guys lead of with a jab or jab cross combo before throwing the kick, as well they should, but you fail to understand that what you are calling a muay thai kick ( the one alistar did) is not a muay thai kick, but a perverted grossly malpracticed version of one. and when it is lead by a step turned out foot, I will immediately know what is coming and be able to defend it, whereas, with a traditional tkd or even a "correctly" executed muay thai roundhouse does not have a lead step turned out foot and are by far harder to defend. If you watch traditional muay thai from thailand, you will not see a lead step turned out foot, you will see a closing distance step and pivoting on the ball as the kick is being thrown kick. Can you follow the logic here or should I do video to demostrate the exact meaning of what I am referring to and email it to you.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast