Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic TKD

Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    pointless to try and explain my original point. I understand that alistar was goofing off, I understand that guys lead of with a jab or jab cross combo before throwing the kick, as well they should, but you fail to understand that what you are calling a muay thai kick ( the one alistar did) is not a muay thai kick, but a perverted grossly malpracticed version of one. and when it is lead by a step turned out foot, I will immediately know what is coming and be able to defend it, whereas, with a traditional tkd or even a "correctly" executed muay thai roundhouse does not have a lead step turned out foot and are by far harder to defend. If you watch traditional muay thai from thailand, you will not see a lead step turned out foot, you will see a closing distance step and pivoting on the ball as the kick is being thrown kick. Can you follow the logic here or should I do video to demostrate the exact meaning of what I am referring to and email it to you.
    Go back to where Tim and I discussed this. You are incorrect however, that kick IS taught that way in MT, however, it is only ONE version of the round kick execution, and its the one you use when you have someone doing the chicken dance/backing up hurt, or you lead with a landed punch. I said it over and over.

In your original point you said people you ask to demonstrate a thai styled kick take that step. This IS A CORRECT WAY TO KICK, but it cant be taken as the ONLY way to kick, and doesnt exist in a vaccuum, as in, there is a time and place for it, as I have mentioned now in about 10 places.............

As for Thais from Thailand, There are vids all over the net with Buakaw doing exactly what You say a tradition thai will not do, taking that step first to start a kick.........but he is doing it, in its correct time, and place.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    I dont need to get back to you, have done well over 1k Tkd (karate) style round kicks, and the same the other way. Like I said, I know which is more powerful. Was my only pt.
    Karate and International TKD are not the same thing. What kind of Karate did you train in ?

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Go back to where Tim and I discussed this. You are incorrect however, that kick IS taught that way in MT, however, it is only ONE version of the round kick execution, and its the one you use when you have someone doing the chicken dance/backing up hurt, or you lead with a landed punch. I said it over and over.

In your original point you said people you ask to demonstrate a thai styled kick take that step. This IS A CORRECT WAY TO KICK, but it cant be taken as the ONLY way to kick, and doesnt exist in a vaccuum, as in, there is a time and place for it, as I have mentioned now in about 10 places.............

As for Thais from Thailand, There are vids all over the net with Buakaw doing exactly what You say a tradition thai will not do, taking that step first to start a kick.........but he is doing it, in its correct time, and place.
    are you referring to leg kicks or head kicks? because if you are talking bout leg kicks, then I am in agreement with you in what you are saying. I was referring to high kicks as I thought that was kinda on the lines of tkd style kicking sense that was the title of the thread. If we were missing that difference than my bad, and forgive me for twenty posts too many trying to get you to see my point

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    Karate and International TKD are not the same thing. What kind of Karate did you train in ?
    They are not, however, the fellow I trained with outside class, was a state champion (NY TKD) BB (he was a 2nd dan) champion, and the round kick the way I was taught (My Karate Instructor was Shorin Ryu, but he was also a PKA US champion) was identical to what he did and what we practiced.......so I am sure there could be some more variations, but Most styles of Karate outside of Kushinhai/enshin ryu/shidokan tend to throw the round kick in near identical fashion.

So I have no idea if the Shorin Ryu round kick was the same as the TKD, or if it was because the guy teaching me Karate was using what he picked up during his kickboxing career.

Array

School
    They are not, however, the fellow I trained with outside class, was a state champion (NY TKD) BB (he was a 2nd dan) champion, and the round kick the way I was taught (My Karate Instructor was Shorin Ryu, but he was also a PKA US champion) was identical to what he did and what we practiced.......so I am sure there could be some more variations, but Most styles of Karate outside of Kushinhai/enshin ryu/shidokan tend to throw the round kick in near identical fashion.
    That's cool. I would offer that TKD on a state level is not the same as TKD on an international level. It's possible your friend learned good technique but I know that in Michigan the technique at our school was on another level compared to the rest of the schools in the state because our instructor was a two time Olympian.

Regardless the level he competed at, he trained with guys who competed in the tremble and shock tournaments (olympic style) and he is still very competent, certainly he was competent enough to teach/notice technical things, yes? I would say its alot more than "possible" he learned good tech, now just because he wasnt world class doesnt mean he was doing it wrong does it? If world class exhibition of skills is the starting point for competence, a whole hell of alot of folks better stop teaching, right now.

Meaning, Pretty sure he knew exactly what he was talking about. The technique at your school isnt on another level because of secret knowledge your instructor has. Its because he is a very high caliber athlete who knows what it takes to have great tech/execution (ie sweat/blood/time/proper instruction). Or am I wrong, and he has a super secret method of throwing a round kick, rather than he makes his people throw so damn many of them they can do them in their sleep?

Array

School
    Regardless the level he competed at, he trained with guys who competed in the tremble and shock tournaments (olympic style) and he is still very competent, certainly he was competent enough to teach/notice technical things, yes? I would say its alot more than "possible" he learned good tech, now just because he wasnt world class doesnt mean he was doing it wrong does it? If world class exhibition of skills is the starting point for competence, a whole hell of alot of folks better stop teaching, right now.

Meaning, Pretty sure he knew exactly what he was talking about. The technique at your school isnt on another level because of secret knowledge your instructor has. Its because he is a very high caliber athlete who knows what it takes to have great tech/execution (ie sweat/blood/time/proper instruction). Or am I wrong, and he has a super secret method of throwing a round kick, rather than he makes his people throw so damn many of them they can do them in their sleep?
    There are technical differences. I don't know you or your friend. Maybe he did have good technique. I'm saying that the way I was taught to kick by Han was different than I origianlly learned. Repetition doesn't equal good technique if you do every kick wrong.

What was different?

Array

School
    What was different?
    The first thing that was different is that the kick started from the back foot driving into the ground like a sprinter driving off the blocks using your quads to pull the knee up to kick. Next the knee comes straight up like a front kick and only turns over at the end as the kick lands. The upper body and the hip of the kicking leg go into the kick so that your whole body weight goes into the kick instead of the kick going forward and the arm twisting back. The support leg should not be perpendicular to the ground when you land the kick, it should be angled toward the opponent. The hip is fully extended and the target of the kick should actually be a foot beyond the surface of the target so that the kick penetrates instead of just slapping the surface. The pivot of the front foot was to the point that the heel was facing the opponent and the toes the opposite direction. Once you have all the technical aspects down then the key was to be completely relaxed through out the kick. After the initial explosion off the back leg you should be completely relaxed and let the technique produce the power.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast