Thread: Olympic TKD

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    This is kind of a trip.

Array

School
    The focus of this Fight Sciece was the power of a Capoeira kick but TKD came out on top as being the fastest and most powerful kick they recorded among the people tested. There are many variables that need to be taken into consideration like the weights of the people kicking and the skill level of the individuals representing each style as well at the type of kicks they are doing but ...

There is also the fact they had a dedicated TKD guy kicking for TKD, and a MMA fighter for the "thai" round kick............

If we are going to use a MMA fighter, and not a full time thai boxer, I would rather use Rua I think.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    There is also the fact they had a dedicated TKD guy kicking for TKD, and a MMA fighter for the "thai" round kick............

If we are going to use a MMA fighter, and not a full time thai boxer, I would rather use Rua I think.
    Totally agree. And... they should test a hundred dudes from each style to get an average if they really want to get a better idea. Otherwise it's just that dude kicks harder than that other dude in the words of a friend.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    The only TKD schools around here could be nominated for McDojo of the Century award.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Ehrnreiter View Post
    The only TKD schools around here could be nominated for McDojo of the Century award.
    Unfortunately, that is the truth most places. If you are able to train with world class TKD guys it can add another dimension to your footwork, distance control, counter kicking etc...

Array

School
    I looked Luke Rockhold up on the net but did not see anywhere that he ever studied TKD. He through some TKD kicks in the fight though like the Nada Bong ( spinning roundhouse kick ) and the Double Kick and landed them.

Array

School
    Ronin

Array

School
    Academia De La Hova Jiu Jitsu
    I started doing it again when i hurt my wrist for about 2 months, and theres some really useful stuff (there is also alot of crap too) if you can find an ITF school go there and don't do WTF. Also for the guy earlier in the thread, in the U.S. you guys have ATA Taekwondo which is the Mcdojo of the world, avoid that at all costs. The main thing that pissed me off at legit WTF schools also is that they have been teaching the same fukin shit for the last 20 years, and are so narrow minded its ridiculous. My teacher talked about bruce lee like he is a god. Our TKD vs any other martial art convos are always funny too, he basically uses the kick in the balls or poke you in the eye argument everytime.

Still i think TKWD with Muay thai is deadly imo. ITs just another arsenal to be used in mma, especially if you have with a sick guard. Kwonkicker has a really cool channel where hes adapted a bunch of taekwondo kicks for muay thai calling it "taekwondo kick boxing. also jason first page, (i know its old) but david loiseau is one of the first guys in the UFC to use TKD effectively in MMA.

This vid is from him in thailand, you can really see how kwonkicker uses his TKD base to own the muay thai guy, and its mainly because the only defense from kicks the thai guys know is checking the leg, (leaving there stomach area wide open, which is jizz in ur pants for TKD guys, You could make the same argument for an average well-rounded MMA guy, whose only training train muay thai and wrestling bjj etc. who would not know how to defend the TKD kicks. joe rogan talks about this alot too, saying you should train TKD once a week or incorporate it into your training to learn the few devastating techniques for mma.

Array

School
    Not bad, not bad. This dude in the video below is the best I've seen when it comes to using TKD in Muay Thai.

I have to disagree with you about WTF & ITF TKD. I trained with one of the top ITF masters in North America before training with a two time Olympian WTF TKD. WTF is far more advanced when it comes to footwork, timing, distance control, counter kicking, combination kicking etc... however, I'm not a huge fan of Olympic TKD as it is today. And of course, TKD has to be modifed as does Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling etc... for MMA.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast