Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic TKD

Array

School
    Jingy's Boxing Club
    Don't some of the chute boxe kicks come from tkd Shogun was a fucking whirlwind in the grand prix. The beauty of mma is its still a growing sport as it evolves man who knows what goodies we are instore for.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Zoila Frausto started in TKD. She is the girl that just beat Megumi Fujii.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=G4VROPRE

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    The Tae Kwon Joe stuff has impressed me. Thats some mean power.

I had an old girlfriend from KC that fought on the US TKD Olympic team in Korea, she could go..
    Keep your stick on the ice TO THE 10TH POWER!!!

Array

School
    aylestone judo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    This is a quick list of MMA fighters that have a background in TKD. I'm sure there are a lot more that I don't know about.

Anderson Silva http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Silva

Dan Hardy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Hardy

Stephan Bonnar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephan_Bonnar

Ben Henderson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Henderson_(fighter)

Serkan Yilmaz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnKp1eK7YgU

Yer a few of them did the Olympic style but to my knowledge Anderson Silva, Dan hardy and Stephan Bonnar all did ITF style which is the original, the arts of ITF and WTF are like comparing Wing Chun to Karate completely different arts

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Yer a few of them did the Olympic style but to my knowledge Anderson Silva, Dan hardy and Stephan Bonnar all did ITF style which is the original, the arts of ITF and WTF are like comparing Wing Chun to Karate completely different arts
    I agree, ITF and WTF style TKD are different. I don't know if they did ITF or not.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elliott View Post
    The Tae Kwon Joe stuff has impressed me. Thats some mean power.
    Joe has got some pop on his kicks !

Array

School
    Rōnin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    I agree, ITF and WTF style TKD are different. I don't know if they did ITF or not.
    what is ITF and WTF style of TKD? because if WTF stands for what the fuck TeaKwondo i am a master at it.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    what is ITF and WTF style of TKD? because if WTF stands for what the fuck TeaKwondo i am a master at it.
    Nice bit of comedy there ITF is the International Taekwondo Federation while the WTF is the World Taekwondo Federation. ITF is the older organization and is based in communist North Korea while the WTF is the World Taekwondo Federation and is based in South Korea. I don't know all of the political history behind it all but the WTF is the organization that regulates Olympic TKD.

I started TKD with Master B.C. Yu who is one of the highest ranking ITF black belts in North America. I was one test away from receiving my black belt when Han Won Lee, who won a bronze medal at the '88 Olympics for the U.S. at bantamweight opened a school in my hometown of Ann Arbor, MI.

From my personal experience ITF was more traditional and self defense oriented while WTF was more progressive and competition oriented. We learned how to punch and kick according to the old ITF way but we didn't learn footwork, distance control, counter kicking, angles, timing etc... on top of that, the way kicks are done in WTF at a high level are different from the way they are done in ITF. I always say that I started training TKD when I was 13 years old but I didn't learn how to fight until I met Han.

Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    tim is right. having an american kickboxing background, I tell my students who come in and claim to have muay thai training, the first thing I ask is to let me see their back leg round kick. I'm amazed by the switch step that proceeds and telegraphs their intentions allowing me to either fade off of it safely or to shuffle in and jam it. there are a handful of guys in the U.S. qualified to teach muay thai, and the rest are just mimicing what they've seen in videos or in mma matches. Most of american kickboxing is deeply rooted in tkd, bill wallace, chuck norris, joe lewis, are some of your old school kickboxing guys who pioneered american style kickboxing. Joe lewis has extensive training in tkd, jkd, and parker kenpo. Truly one of the greatest fighters of all time ( and no, I am not talking about the boxer joe lewis). But don't let this discourage you, american kickboxing has a larger arsenal of weapons than traditional muay thai, adding the spinning kicks that as tim said are considered disrespectful in thailand. And spinning kicks are very effective from outside angles with a lot of power when excuted right. Just remember that in mma today, the ground game has taken a backseat to standup, as saw in this last pay per view. brilliant ground guys choosing to abandon their bread and butter, and choosing rather to stand and bang. problem is that there are less and less technical guys who truly understand proper footwork, and proper hand techniques combined to flow as they did before the big mma craze took hold.
    Could you describe the Switch step they use with a rear leg round kick? I have been around a bunch of guys who have trained both more dutch style kickboxing and traditional Thai trained and I have never seen this.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast