Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield, Mo.

How to get belted

I've been training no gi Jiu Jitsu for over seven years... but in the area I live. There are no Jiu Jitsu black belts unless I travel at least 100 miles and even then... there are none who will belt someone who hasn't been in a gi... Any advice? I would just like to have something to show for my years of service to jiu jitsu

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    So who have you been training under?

Array

School
    a guy named Randy Johnson... He has been doing Jiu Jitsu for over 15 years and only has a blue belt... He use to travel and go to seminars and such and Royce Gracie gave him his blue belt at one of those seminars. I would actually love to see him progress too... cuz he is sort of stuck in the same position I am now. He's subscribed to Jean jaques machado's website and Marcelo Garcia's Website... and I am subscribed to here... so we meet up and share techniques and drill and drill and drill...

Array

School
    oh, and I'm not looking for any hand outs at all... I just want to find a way to actually start working towards getting belted

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    If you want a belt go buy one. If you want recognition, compete. Why do you care about a belt? In no-gi belts don't mean anything, you are either beginner, novice, intermediate or advanced.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan_Brown View Post
    If you want a belt go buy one. If you want recognition, compete. Why do you care about a belt? In no-gi belts don't mean anything, you are either beginner, novice, intermediate or advanced.
    I do compete... in MMA. I am the Heavyweight Champion in multiple amateur organizations... I have the recognition locally. I just want something for self gratification I guess. A sort of... Physical Representation of that recognition.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Sisco View Post
    I do compete... in MMA. I am the Heavyweight Champion in multiple amateur organizations... I have the recognition locally. I just want something for self gratification I guess. A sort of... Physical Representation of that recognition.
    Then you are advanced in No-Gi , sounds like your a Purple belt maybe Brown. Now if you go through a traditional rout starting from white it'll take you another 3 to 5 years to get to Purple or Brown. I wouldn't worry about getting a "McBelt" though some website, just know you are Advanced. Are you trying to do MMA as a pro?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    Post some of your fights, we love that stuff around here.

Array

School
    I will post some soon!

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    The only functional use I see for a belt is as a tangible diploma that you can later leverage into credibility when you open your own gym. For that reason, your belt is not just a reflection of your skill level but also of a grasp and understand of a specific curriculum.

Within that context, getting a belt without the guidance and oversight of a specific instructor is kind of meaningless since you're teaching might not be a representation of their school. If I were you, I would find what system or school I want to rank under and then make monthly or bi monthly treks to that school for privates where a lead instructor can monitor your progress and refine your game within the parameters of their curriculum.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast