Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood

Great lessons from Royce in can’t-miss interview

Carlos Eduardo Ozório
    June 22, 2011 from graciemag.com

Mario Filho training with Royce / Photo: personal archive

Royce Gracie was featured in the latest episode of Brazil’s “Sensei Sportv” television program. Interviewed by black belt and reporter Mario Filho, the Gracie addressed retirement, his desire to have one last battle, Matt Hughes, Renzo, the new Gracies coming up the ranks, and he opened up about what a Royce Gracie fight purse is like.

From so many impactful statements, one can derive valuable lessons from a man who has represented Jiu-Jitsu for decades and made the style recognized worldwide. To watch the full program (in Portuguese), click here.

Here are a few excerpts from the show:

“I only listen to my coaches, who I want to listen to. The others don’t matter to me.”

“I may still fight, I just don’t know when.”

“It’s about time for me to stop and I have my sights on one opponent.”

“It would be great to fight at home, in Brazil, where it all began.”

“Matt Hughes in the octagon in Rio would be ideal. He’s the one I’m after.”

“In that fight with him I’d gone overboard in training. Dad told me: “That’s a mistake.”

“If I could, I’d only eat fruit.”

“I’ve been doing Jiu-Jitsu for 44 years. I always kept my mind open to other styles but just to know what I may be up against. I’m not going to learn wrestling to try and take down Matt Hughes.”

“Renzo is really valiant and has what it takes to face him again. Renzo’s said before: ‘When one falls, we already have another at the top in the running.’ There are a lot of Gracies coming up.”

“There’s no time or place for Renzo. He’ll fight MMA one week and compete at the ADCC the next. He’s done that before.”

“MMA? You practice a martial art. Nogueira’s done Jiu-Jitsu his whole life, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t complement that with boxing. Now if I go and train MMA, what does that mean? Training MMA is Kimbo Slice. Can he stand and bang with a boxer? No. Can he put up a good fight on the ground? No. He’s a tough guy, but he’s not good. MMA isn’t a martial art. You have to have somewhere you come from, you have to know an art.”

“Dana White knows what I’m worth; he knows what I bring to the table. Yes, my fight purse has seven digits!”

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood

Array

School
    blank
    that was a bit of an odd match

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    a 7 digit purse for Royce is not going to happen.

Array

School
    Serra BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    right, wtf. haha

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    a 7 digit purse for Royce is not going to happen.
    Agreed. But, many fighters look at boxing and are like, FUCK.

Array

School
    Ronin
    a million dollars!?!?!?!? has he lost his mind? Have I not been keeping up with shit, has any mma fighter ever made a million for one fight?
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post

I agree .. Kim should've won, sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    a million dollars!?!?!?!? has he lost his mind? Have I not been keeping up with shit, has any mma fighter ever made a million for one fight?
    Several have. Randy has made a couple million in one fight and others have as well. However I have not heard of one making that much for "show money" those sums were reached with giving a small %/ppv buy (meaning if you are a big draw and get say 1.5 bucks/PPV buy, you make out like a bandit).