Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Rhyno's Gym
    This is an interesting topic to me because I am getting ready to start training at a gi school in my home town out of convienence but I truly believe that the 10th planet system is the way to go when it comes to submission grappling. I'm glad to see that other people are out there making this work.

Array

School
    Jay Pages Jiu-Jitsu/CTA
    Ari,

I'm all about the Hangman SGD10! What do we need to do to move forward?

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    cagesidemma.com also sells gi bottoms without the tops, 25.00. its where I got mine, they shrink a little, so order big, they are nice with knee padding sewn in.

Array

School
    thank you john roderick for saying what you said. I had this very debate time and time again. I think that for the sport jj guy, Ari has an awesome idea, and I think that Ari is a great guy, but I believe that the very essence of what we do in 10th planet is to conquer our need for the gi by focusing on the squeeze and use of hooks to accomplish what the gi practitioners utilize the gi for. just last night in class, I was saying that gi practitioners have to rely on the gi to be successful whereas with proper technique and focus on securing our positions, we dont have to rely on the shortcuts offered by the gi. Like I said, I think that Ari's idea is great for guys who train 10th planet but wish to participate in gi sport jj, but lets not lose the very essence of what is 10th planet jj.

Array

School
    10th Planet Victoria
    Jay

The man in charge of this is Magnus in Sweden. The hangmen was something I came up with in jest but I have always have played around with gi/10thp stuff. Since Magnus is the black belt in BJJ (and brown under Eddie in 10thP), Eddie made him the General for the hangmen he will decide what direction this will go.

I am more like a sgt in arms ;-)

Frank, thanks for the kind words brother. I appreciate it.
    ---------------------
    www.fiercestudio.ca home of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Victoria
    Owner of Submissions 101

“To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.”-Elbert Hubbard

Array

School
    no problem, Ari. believe it or not, you are the very reason that I even discovered 10th planet, and the direction that my life is going in right now. So without sounding cheesy or gay, I owe you alot. hopefully one day, we can get together and tell you all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by renato laranja View Post
    now you can see that 10th planet gonna work better with the gi. But one day my friend,you gonna see that everythings work better with the gi. Thats why. Because the gi is the foundation. Thats jiu-jitsu.
    now thats jiu-jitsu...
    "If you believe, then you have already taken the first step towards your achievement."

Rickson Gracie

www.Primate-Fitness.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    The funnest part of rolling with the gi is trying to hit an uchi mata on a kneeling opponent. So much harder when you have to get the over/under first.
    I go for the uchi mata when someone gets me in dogfight. Its a lot harder to get a clean throw because you don't have much off balancing technique on your knees. It actually works very well though to stop the dogfight position. I get wrist control on the far arm so they can't post too. Food for thought
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Luling MMA / Cedar Creek MMA / Dojo Kyle
    My school is both gi and nogi but of course I get shit for never wearing a gi but when I do I use 10th Planet with it and it actually seems way too easy with the gi on. I use the no leg rubber guard but set it up from half to get an easy carni. When I use the stomp I stuff my outside foot into the belt in the back and use that as my butterfly while my stomping foot moves to the outside and sweeps the leg under old school style. Anytime I get to even just mission control there's extra chokes, the x with your pantleg, meathook and feed the lapel to your hand, tons of stuff. Oh shit and from the back using one of your legs to half nelson while you grab the lapel with your hand. None of the guys had seen these before.

Quote Originally Posted by John Roderick View Post
    I don't believe the gi makes my no-gi better. Different aspects of the same discipline.
    This is an OLLLLDDD thread, but I have a constraint of no-gi schools around me, and one thing I hear often from people at the place I train is that gi will tighten up the no-gi.... I have never found it to be true, but is this everyone's opinion? I dont like the gi training, but since its all I have around, I put up with it. But I was mostly curious as to the general consensus on that... will the gi game make no gi better?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast