Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Fixed.
    I dunno. I'm a Judo black belt and have good no-gi throws...

Are you saying wrestling is better for no-gi? if so, I agree. But if you've done Judo a long time it's not a very difficult transition.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMike2k9 View Post
    I dunno. I'm a Judo black belt and have good no-gi throws...

Are you saying wrestling is better for no-gi? if so, I agree. But if you've done Judo a long time it's not a very difficult transition.
    No, What I was referring to was that Gi Judo helps your Gi Judo Throws, No-Gi Judo helps your No-Gi throws.

I'm a black belt in Judo as well (4th Dan), and if your planning to use your Judo for No-gi, you have to modify how you train your Judo. Its not as simple as taking off your gi and start throwing. Its not just learning underhooks/overhooks, setups and throwing strategy change. Sport Judo (read that as Judo for Judo competition)focuses on throwing for the sake of throwing, even recklessly at times with little to no regard for position after the throw. When I teach my Judo/Sambo classes I tell my students that I view throws/takedowns as guard passes. Once their balance is broken, and I've entered for the throw my main focus is obtaining dominant position, if my throw takes me into the guard/half guard , I immediately pass, once dominant position is secured my throw is complete. So whenever we practice repetitions guard passes are always part of the throw. The focus is on the transition from throw directly to position.

1)Obtain dominate position.
    2)If you happen to smash them into a dominant position with speed, power, wheezing and snot bubbles....BONUS!
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 03-11-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Pivatol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dewitt Jr View Post
    Can I order this design as a patch for my gi?
    i would like to do this also if its cool

Array

School
    10th Planet Seoul
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Burke View Post
    i would like to do this also if its cool
    Ditto

My best GI move is to completely shed my belt and GI top at the very beginning of every match. I find that i enjoy it more that way.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael craig View Post
    gi does help with your judo throws
    I actually found training my Judo without the gi tightened up my trips/sweeping throw and shoulder throws a lot. It helped me commit more to the actually arm and leg rather then tugging just the gi. So I high recommend both, though it sort of limits your arsenal of throws it helps you get really really good with some effective ones..
    Last edited by Kyle Spalla; 04-04-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    No, What I was referring to was that Gi Judo helps your Gi Judo Throws, No-Gi Judo helps your No-Gi throws.

I'm a black belt in Judo as well (4th Dan), and if your planning to use your Judo for No-gi, you have to modify how you train your Judo. Its not as simple as taking off your gi and start throwing. Its not just learning underhooks/overhooks, setups and throwing strategy change. Sport Judo (read that as Judo for Judo competition)focuses on throwing for the sake of throwing, even recklessly at times with little to no regard for position after the throw. When I teach my Judo/Sambo classes I tell my students that I view throws/takedowns as guard passes. Once their balance is broken, and I've entered for the throw my main focus is obtaining dominant position, if my throw takes me into the guard/half guard , I immediately pass, once dominant position is secured my throw is complete. So whenever we practice repetitions guard passes are always part of the throw. The focus is on the transition from throw directly to position.

1)Obtain dominate position.
    2)If you happen to smash them into a dominant position with speed, power, wheezing and snot bubbles....BONUS!

This.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    So would it be safe to assume that this thread is still active and that patch would still be legal to put on our gi? Because I would really like to rep 10P while rocking my gi in tourneys.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Robinson

Array

School
    Evolutionary Martial Arts/ BJJ Globetrotters
    Have there been any developments?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast