Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Folk who say the gi has no self defense value is laughable. Just about any shirt, even a T shirt is in fact durable enough for a choke for one choke (and if its self defense, Do I really care if I garrote a guy with his shirt and make it so he cant wear it again)?

Most people do in fact wear clothes, and in some places a good deal of em. It is funny this debate pops up all the time, and what I notice is its usually folks with not alot of submission grappling experience (white/blue belt) arguing the hardest one way or the other. Fact is, if you want to learn grappling, to be the best you can be, you should put some time and effort in with both, plain and simple.

Array

School
    BETA Academy
    maybe it's just me but when i do a choke with the collar or when i get an omaplata where i grab the sleeve, it feels like i'm cheating.

everytime i've done bjj with a GI and someone gets me with those GI moves, i feel like they are not as cool as me.

Array

School
    11th Dimension
    "If you ain't cheatin you ain't winning."

Array

School
    On the search
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post
    I respectfully differ good sir.

Am I the only one that watched this? Holy shit was this funny! Kenny Florian was hysterical. The trash talking almost made me piss myself. What would the rules say in the ABB about guys that had nut cancer and only walk around with one? Would that give us an advantage?

Screw gi vs no-gi

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    Fact is, if you want to learn grappling, to be the best you can be, you should put some time and effort in with both, plain and simple.

Time and time again, no-gi guys like Jake Shields, the Avellan Brothers, Rustam Chsiev, Josh Barnett, Denny Prokopos, Gilbert Melendez, and others have shown that you don't need to train in the gi to reach the very highest levels of no-gi grappling. Rank and file no-gi guys are also tapping BJJ brown and black belts in no-gi comps like Grapplers Quest.

Gi training is fine if that's what your into. But, it's not necessary to reach the highest levels in no-gi grappling.

Array

School
    Zombie BJJ - RMNU
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Edlund View Post

Screw gi vs no-gi
    Screwing in the gi is way better.

Array

School
    10th Planet Vista
    When I started out, Jiu-Jitsu was really an elite thing in Brazil, and there was some prejudice towards poorer kids, so I had to learn things on my own,” Some of my neighbors started doing Jiu-Jitsu, so I started watching it, and then started rolling with them. It wasn’t organized training, but it was better than nothing.” - Anderson Silva

Quote Originally Posted by tap View Post
    Time and time again, no-gi guys like Jake Shields, the Avellan Brothers, Rustam Chsiev, Josh Barnett, Denny Prokopos, Gilbert Melendez, and others have shown that you don't need to train in the gi to reach the very highest levels of no-gi grappling. Rank and file no-gi guys are also tapping BJJ brown and black belts in no-gi comps like Grapplers Quest.

Gi training is fine if that's what your into. But, it's not necessary to reach the highest levels in no-gi grappling.
    Highest level of Grappling is ADCC, and I dont recall any of them winning one.......

I also didnt say a thing about being the best no gi grappler, did I? I said being the best grappler you can be period........

Array

School
    Sjårdalen mma
    people here hate on the GI way more then all the Gracies and gi players hate on 10th planet

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast