Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Port City MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    It's hard to explode out of submissions with the gi so you rarely practice your explosiveness so that's why pure jiu jitsu players have way less explosive power than wrestlers. Explosiveness is crucial for mma.

ALOT of submission defenses with the gi require you to hold on to a part of your gi for defense. Like if someone sits back for an ankle lock, you're supposed to sit up and grab his collar for defense. And when someone goes for a kimura on you, you're supposed to grab your pants for defense. Or when someone has you in spider web going for an arm bar, you're supposed to grab your own collar for defense. Or when someone is trying to RNC you, you're supposed to grab both your collars.

How does the gi help your nogi defense again??

Remember, the only guy to escape Marcelo's RNC in ADCC was Diego Sanchez who had never trained in the gi at that point. His explosiveness got him out
    So should we all be just wrestler's with submissions instead of relaxing & relying on technique to prevail? I'm really confused, I thought that jiu jitsu was using technique to overcome power... But I'm in no position to make that kind of assessment, it's just always what I thought & believed...

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    I wouldn't say it's about being a wrestler but a good grappler. Explosiveness is a subset of technique in good grappling just as leverage, timing and balance are. It's better to have the technical movement of a tekk sharp than to just try to muscle out of something but sharp technical movement with the right leverage, timing and explosiveness is better than technique alone any day.

Watch ADCC. All the guys that train with the gi use explosiveness at the right moment when they are grappling. Marcelo, Braulio, Galvao ....
    Last edited by Jason Mallory; 09-14-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    I am currently re-learning the pains of where gi and no-gi are different. Like armbar defense with the gi is waaaaay harder than without the gi (if you ask me). They have so many different handles and ways to control you that it's much harder to defend the farther down the submission they get. Without the gi I find that I can defend long enough to get enough space to just get my elbow past the hips and then it is safe (unless i'm in spiderweb). That being said training with the gi makes it easier to set stuff up with the gi. How are you going to get used to people just pulling their arms out of armbars if you are holding onto their sleeve/collar/pants. I guess you could just not grab onto that stuff, but that is basically no-gi with a bulky rash guard.

Array

School
    Port City MMA
    No one has commented on the rolling in a gi without grabbing clothes rule!!! What do you guys think about that? I've tried it... it's just like nogi but a little harder... Has anyone else tried this? if not, do it & share your experiences..

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
    No one has commented on the rolling in a gi without grabbing clothes rule!!! What do you guys think about that? I've tried it... it's just like nogi but a little harder... Has anyone else tried this? if not, do it & share your experiences..
    When I train in the gi I do not rely on the gi. I use my no-gi technique, rubber guard, half guard sweeps etc...

10th Planet tekks work great with a gi but it is a little annoying to have guys grabbing all over your gi to try to defend.
    Last edited by Jason Mallory; 09-08-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Array

School
    Port City MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    it is a little annoying to have guys grabbing all over your gi to try to defend.
    Use the rule (no grabbing clothes)!!!

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
    Use the rule (no grabbing clothes)!!!
    Naw... I like to dominate guys in the gi with my no-gi technique.

Array

School
    Port City MMA
    fair enough...

hijacked.

Array

School
    Gracie 601 Meridian,MS
    Just got in from practice. Good points Jason and Eddie. Josh anytime I put paul in mission control he grabbed my foot so I asked Eddie and now I know what to do, it was funny and Eddie I never doubted you. You and Royce are the main reason I started jits. As far as the tone of everyones comments, all i can say is this, im glad we can debate things in a friendly manner.

Im pretty much the weakest in my class and the lightest so I only have technique to rely on. The gi may not help you bigger guys no-gi game but it has helped mine. Im not saying its a night and day difference but my knee cut passes have improved. I cant contribute all of it to gi but the gi slowed the game down and I was able to rep the technique at a slower pace at about 60 to 75%. I have practiced no-gi alot more than gi (cause its more fun) and its all gonna come down to what you like more.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast