Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_B View Post
    Im pretty much the weakest in my class and the lightest so I only have technique to rely on. The gi may not help you bigger guys no-gi game but it has helped mine. Im not saying its a night and day difference but my knee cut passes have improved. I cant contribute all of it to gi but the gi slowed the game down and I was able to rep the technique at a slower pace at about 60 to 75%.
    You know Eddie was one of the smallest, weakest guys in class and he totally focuses on technique without wearing a gi. And I am only about 160 pounds and I never do weight training, I rely on technique.

I would argue that it's not the gi that has improved your knee cut pass but the pace at which you practice the tekk and your attention to detail when you are drilling. If you don't drill technique properly it doesn't matter whether you are wearing a gi or not you won't progress. If you rush when drilling and don't pay attention to the smallest technical movements you will have poor technique.

In fact I would say it's better to drill without a gi for no-gi competition because without the traction of the gi your technique will be more precise for no-gi. If you drill the double under pass all the time with the gi, your movement will not be as precise when you take the gi off because you have to adjust to the lack of friction. Someone who drills the double under pass no-gi all the time will have more precise movement i.e. 'better technique' because they train without the gi all the time and do not have to adjust to the lack of friction or quicker movements without the gi.

I would never try to tell someone that their experience was not valid but these are a few ideas to think about.
    Last edited by Jason Mallory; 09-16-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Array

School
    Port City MMA
    Busted!!!!

Renato came to my grandma's nursing home and challenged her to a grappling match, when she explained she rep'd 10th Planet and had no gi he forced her to grapple wearing a bathrob and then submited her via hangman.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    It's still a really funny character

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    That's Jiu Jits.

Array

School
    BJJ Singapore
    damm i was hoping it was real.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    A few pages back on this thread there was some actual jiu jitsu discussed. I kinda compiled the posts and rearranged them to create an article called 'More Thoughts on Gi vs No-Gi' Eddie Bravo also added some thoughts to the conversation. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.no-gi-grappling.com/no-gi.html
    Last edited by Jason Mallory; 09-16-2010 at 04:05 AM.

this is such a funny thread, some people have way too much spare time haha

Array

School
    Team Total Revolution (Future 10th Planet)
    Have you known about this? LMFAO!!! Why would he pay you for lessons if he did not believe in your system, like myself and others do. Abu Dhabi is a no gi tournament. Renato must have faith in your unorthodox system of no gi training!

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    It's hard to explode out of submissions with the gi so you rarely practice your explosiveness so that's why pure jiu jitsu players have way less explosive power than wrestlers. Explosiveness is crucial for mma.

ALOT of submission defenses with the gi require you to hold on to a part of your gi for defense. Like if someone sits back for an ankle lock, you're supposed to sit up and grab his collar for defense. And when someone goes for a kimura on you, you're supposed to grab your pants for defense. Or when someone has you in spider web going for an arm bar, you're supposed to grab your own collar for defense. Or when someone is trying to RNC you, you're supposed to grab both your collars.

How does the gi help your nogi defense again??

Remember, the only guy to escape Marcelo's RNC in ADCC was Diego Sanchez who had never trained in the gi at that point. His explosiveness got him out
    Lot's of great points Master Eddie, but don't you think there are still a few merits to the gi for nogi if you are using all nogi techniques except when you're breaking grips?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast