Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    Im torn on this one. On one hand, just about everything he said was on point, with the exception of his whole "you are not Americans" thing (granted, we all came to America from other lands, but at this point, I think we can agree that people who are not Native-American are still truly Americans). Also, I have been treated unfairly and unlawfully by the police in the past. It is very common for them to do what they want, lie about it being legal, and then if called out on it, just fudge the story. It's beautiful to see someone stand up to that kind of BS.

On the other hand, being right is not all that matters. This guy was being overly and unnecessarily antagonistic, and pissing the police off at times just to do it, with no reasonable goal in mind. A rational tone and less belligerent demeanor probably would have gotten his son out of there faster, but this guy didn't want that. He knew the son would be freed shortly anyway, and he knew they would ask what they wanted first. But his other primary goal was to appear to be "right" on camera and try to catch the cops doing something explicitly wrong. That is where I have a hard time siding with him.

Don't be over the top when you are right. If this guy hadn't brought up things like "treason", "international law", "nationalities", etc., I think the whole world would be on his side. Don't cut off your nose to spite your own face, as the saying goes. It's better to succeed than to win an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    I dont see where he saved anyone to be honest. Looked to me like the police questioned the kid all they wanted to, and then let him go. He did ramble on a whole lot though.
    Agreed, if the cops wanted to esculate the situation he would have been arrested along with them. Try the same thing on the wrong cop and you will be detained. Does not matter right or wrong, reasonable or unreasonable, legal or illegal. if a cop wants to your ass, you will be cuffed and stuffed. They will always find something to charge you with at which point you will have your day and court, get it droped etc.. but the initial results are still the same. The shut up and listen approach is a far better one imo, if they do something stupid lawyer up and avoid the added bullshit from being unable to keep your mouth closed.

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    Should have beat his ass for being black.

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliphate Ishtar Allah View Post
    That sounds gay? You into Bang Bros Brother.
    There is nothing gay about racism.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Kick his ass seabass!!

This is precisely why the police are becoming more corrupt. People do not know the law, this allows the Police to make it up as they go along. They should be held accountable by everyone.
    Shut up and listen approach has nothing to do with ignorance of the law. It has to do with leaving the hole at the depth in which you feel into it. Conflicts are not won at the moment battle starts, rather at the end of the war. Have your day in court, its how the system works. Its why we are innocent until proven guilty.

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    Unless its Homophobia ;-)
    Just stop encouraging him. Taylor can't help but make sexist, racist or otherwise stupid comments. Simply nod and smile to yourself and move on...

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    Unless its Homophobia ;-)
    What do the homophobes look like? Where is Homophobe? Did they come before or after the Irish?

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Evans View Post
    Im torn on this one. On one hand, just about everything he said was on point, with the exception of his whole "you are not Americans" thing (granted, we all came to America from other lands, but at this point, I think we can agree that people who are not Native-American are still truly Americans). Also, I have been treated unfairly and unlawfully by the police in the past. It is very common for them to do what they want, lie about it being legal, and then if called out on it, just fudge the story. It's beautiful to see someone stand up to that kind of BS.

On the other hand, being right is not all that matters. This guy was being overly and unnecessarily antagonistic, and pissing the police off at times just to do it, with no reasonable goal in mind. A rational tone and less belligerent demeanor probably would have gotten his son out of there faster, but this guy didn't want that. He knew the son would be freed shortly anyway, and he knew they would ask what they wanted first. But his other primary goal was to appear to be "right" on camera and try to catch the cops doing something explicitly wrong. That is where I have a hard time siding with him.

Don't be over the top when you are right. If this guy hadn't brought up things like "treason", "international law", "nationalities", etc., I think the whole world would be on his side. Don't cut off your nose to spite your own face, as the saying goes. It's better to succeed than to win an argument.
    I totally see what you are saying but don't you think that it's a sad sign of the times that our general common sense knowledge presumes that antagonizing a cop can get you arrested out of vengeance or even injured? That sort of unprofessional behavior shouldn't be condoned yet when our brother in law tells us a story about getting his ass kicked by the police, the first thing we ask them is, "Well, were you mouthy with him?"

To refuse a search, you can just say no. It is not unlawful if you say yes. Also, regardng the tidy part, not true, point blank, if he is asking it is well within your rights to refuse a search, if he has other reasonable cause to search, he wont ask, he will just do it, maybe you need to learn some more about the law before you give advice?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast