Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Burbank
    yup - this was on 60 minutes. even nike has taken notice and changing some of their shoes to better conform to all this. good stuff.

Array

School
    10th Planet Burbank
    ian - where did you buy yours? i was only able to find them at Adventure 16 a year or so ago, but they didn't have my size/color. i need to try them on before i commit.

Array

School
    Ronin
    great post, Ian! I'm currently dealing with shin splints for years. I run practically every day. And I've spend thousands of dollars searching for the right shoe with little success. Now, I'm gonna go to the track and try running barefoot.

To Kevin: where did you buy your fivefingers?

Array

School
    Ronin
    Update: I just came back from running and my legs aren't in as much pain. There is definitely some truth to it. At first i felt like I was "putting on the brakes" with every step, but than I started to get the hang of it. I'm pretty sure this is the way I used to run when I was little kid. I expect some new muscle soreness later because I was working slightly different leg muscles. But better to have muscle soreness than bone or joint soreness. Also, I noticed my feet were pronating quite a bit less, which is good for me. Running without shoes on forces you to "run soft" or run "light on your feet." I think I was depending too much on my shoes to absorb to shock rather than depending on my own bio-mechanics.
    Last edited by Orlando Rosę; 09-23-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Has anybody used these things long enough to know if you start to develop aboriginal like feet?

That's usually what a life time of barefoot running/walking looks like. Can you imagine playing open guard with those things?
    Last edited by AJ Camacho; 09-23-2010 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Elkin View Post
    ian - where did you buy yours? i was only able to find them at Adventure 16 a year or so ago, but they didn't have my size/color. i need to try them on before i commit.
    i bought them directly from the official site - www.vibramfivefingers.com

if you want to go to a store to try them on, check out the sport chalet in la canada flintridge or in westwood on olympic/bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Rosę View Post
    great post, Ian! I'm currently dealing with shin splints for years.
    this is the reason why running/walking/standing barefoot or in the vibrams is far safer than wearing overpriced nikes.

i used to hate running because i would get really bad shin splints and lower back pain. i didn't realize until very recently that i was running incorrectly (landing heel first) just like most people. once i corrected my form, i felt a lot better.

you actually don't need to buy the vibrams or any of these "barefoot shoes" that are coming out. if you want to save some money, just run barefoot. i only wear the vibrams/vivos because of hygiene issues.

i wear these shoes all the time now, not just for running. no more lower back/knee/etc pain. i actually can't wear regular shoes anymore, it hurts my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    Has anybody used these things long enough to know if you start to develop aboriginal like feet?

That's usually what a life time of barefoot running/walking looks like. Can you imagine playing open guard with those things?
    that's how human feet are supposed to look like. wide base = low center of gravity = better balance, posture, alignment, etc.

modern shoes compact and constrict the natural shape and movement of your feet.

imagine if you had to wear boxing gloves 24/7. doesn't work very well, right?
    Last edited by ian quinto; 09-25-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Rosę View Post
    I'm currently dealing with shin splints for years.
    I just made myself laugh! WTF does that mean? Please excuse my nonsensical writing. English is not my first language.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I'm going to look into getting these. I've seen a couple programs on them, 60minutes, and I think Real Sports. Only heard great things about them. And they aren't super expensive.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast