Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland

Half Guard Question

Hi guys, I've just joined so have never posted before. I just wanted to ask a question on half-guard, hope that's ok.

OK so if I am on the bottom with lockdown and the guy on top has a far side underhook and/or head and arm control and I can't use the jaws of life to create any space and get double unders myself what are some good options ?

I know one option is to try the god father sweep and then either sweep him or get back to full guard. There's also the stomp to try and get to butterfly guard but my butterfly guard is a bit rubbish so am looking for some other options. Any advice would be appreciated cheers.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    It might be a good idea to try and perfect the stomp; you can go homie-to prison from butterfly guard if you want. Alternatively, there is the whip-down, but I say get your butterfly guard where it’s doing SOMETHING or you’ll be in some trouble anyway… Best of luck!!!

Array

School
    RMNU
    Watch all the MTS. Eddie goes over whip down and meat hook.

Array

School
    blank
    what's half-guard?

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    Thanks for the help Will and Brian. I'm currently working my way through all the MTS videos so yeah should come across those soon enough. Tony - Half guard is something you put on your car to protect it from getting muddy.

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    As mentioned before, whip down. I rarely use Jaws of Life anymore to get the double underhooks. The first few times, people will give you the Five O sweep (MTS ep. 4, 21:44), but once they're wise to it, you can transition to heel hook or electric chair (MTS ep. 15, 2:19). Stoner control is also an option.

It's also a good idea to get used to going from whip down to whip up because they go together so naturally, so check out the dipset drill (MTS ep. 6, 3:24).

If you're like me, you will fall in love with the lockdown so much that you'll feel disappointed when you have to use butterfly guard or full guard.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Defo drill the stomp. Engage that butterfly guard. It can be even more effective than the half guard.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    whip back/down

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    That's great guys thanks, exactly what I was needing.