Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Marcelo Garcia

Marcelo at Campos (prior to ADCC 2003)

Gotta post some good matches, regardless of the outcome. This is one of the 2 or 3 main matches that made me believe in the Darce/Brabo choke and its potential.

My favorite story about this match is what happened afterwards. After the loss Josh Waitzkin, close friend and brown belt under Garcia asked about the loss. Apparently, Josh, being the chess prodigy that he is (the kid from Searching for Bobby Fisher) is often frustrated that Marcelo thinks about Jiu-Jitsu too simply. Josh said, "Marcelo, what do we need to work on? More defenses for the Darce? Strategies for opponents with longer arms? Has your single leg become too predictable? According to Josh, Marcelo simply smiled and said, "I need to be faster." Marcelo later went on to tell Sam Sheridan that at ADCC 2007 he still had 8 submissions: 7 of his own, and the 8th one that he lost to. He also said this while grinning.

Last edited by Mike Nall; 08-23-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Array

School
    gracie barra niagara
    Jean Jacques Machado was doing x guard while Marcelo Garcia was still a purple belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Ritchie View Post
    Jean Jacques Machado was doing x guard while Marcelo Garcia was still a purple belt.
    I don't understand your post.

If you're trying to claim that Marcelo Garcia did not invent the X-Guard, fine. I'm sure someone did it in hundreds of years ago and had no name for it.

If you're trying to give JJM props, that's great, because he's an inspiration as a human being and as a BJJ player.

To me it seems like you're trying to give JJM props at the expense of Marcelo Garcia, which is rude to both gentlemen. It's a slight towards Marcelo Garcia and I'm sure JJM would not want to be appreciated in that way.

This is a dedication thread to Marcelo for people to post thoughts, clips, etc about/of him and his matches. If you want to make a similar thread for for Jean Jacques Machado, feel free to do so. I will gladly post there as well. But don't hijack this thread and make it about something else.

Also, the X-Guard is a just a small part of what Garcia has contributed to the grappling world in 7 short years. If you want to get specific with the X-Guard, just like people may have done the Rubber Guard before Eddie Bravo, Eddie brought it into the main sphere of grappling. Same with Marcelo Garcia and the X-Guard. I'm sure people did it before, but certainly not with the same amount of success at the elite level as Garcia.
    Last edited by Mike Nall; 08-23-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Array

School
    Ronin

Array

School
    Ronin

Array

School
    Ronin

Array

School
    gracie barra niagara
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMike2k9 View Post
    I don't understand your post.

If you're trying to claim that Marcelo Garcia did not invent the X-Guard, fine. I'm sure someone did it in hundreds of years ago and had no name for it.

If you're trying to give JJM props, that's great, because he's an inspiration as a human being and as a BJJ player.

To me it seems like you're trying to give JJM props at the expense of Marcelo Garcia, which is rude to both gentlemen. It's a slight towards Marcelo Garcia and I'm sure JJM would not want to be appreciated in that way.

This is a dedication thread to Marcelo for people to post thoughts, clips, etc about/of him and his matches. If you want to make a similar thread for for Jean Jacques Machado, feel free to do so. I will gladly post there as well. But don't hijack this thread and make it about something else.

Also, the X-Guard is a just a small part of what Garcia has contributed to the grappling world in 7 short years. If you want to get specific with the X-Guard, just like people may have done the Rubber Guard before Eddie Bravo, Eddie brought it into the main sphere of grappling. Same with Marcelo Garcia and the X-Guard. I'm sure people did it before, but certainly not with the same amount of success at the elite level as Garcia.
    my bad... all I'm saying that Jean Jacques Machado is the original Marcelo Garcia.

it's nice to talk about Jean Jacques Machado while talking about Marcelo Garcia and so forth.

no disrespect in my posts

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Ritchie View Post
    my bad... all I'm saying that Jean Jacques Machado is the original Marcelo Garcia.

it's nice to talk about Jean Jacques Machado while talking about Marcelo Garcia and so forth.

no disrespect in my posts
    Cool! My fault brother. I couldn't tell your tone of voice obviously haha. It can be hard to tell those things on message boards. I agree with you. JJM is my favorite no-gi fighter from the early ADCCs to watch, and his no-gi style was so far ahead of its time, and he paved the way for a lot of the advanced stuff you see at the No-Gi Worlds/PanAms/ADCC today. He was doing moves in 1999 that some people are just catching up to today.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast